Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Alchemist Brewing Closing Retail Shop!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

zombi69

The Alchemist Brewing Closing Retail Shop!

Post by zombi69 »

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

And I was going there on Nov 25. FUCK!
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:And I was going there on Nov 25. FUCK!
You can still find their beer. In fact for those of us who don't mind visiting a few bottle shops, it might be easier to find. They've said that production will stay constant and they parent' adding any new accounts, which means that the cases that were sold from their retail shop will simply be distributed now.

So Winooski Beverage (for example) might get 50 cases now instead of 25 with each delivery (making up numbers for argument's sake).

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I can't see how this will make it any easier to get some. It may make it easier for residents of Burlington or Montpellier to get it, but overall at best this will be a wash.

I suspect that, for your average beer tourist, this will make it a lot harder to get. At least before, as long as you were willing to show up at the cannery between Monday morning and Thursday afternoon, you were pretty much guaranteed of getting cans with some peak weekends excepted.

Now, the distribution for those cans will be more dispersed, and urban working folks will find it a lot easier to pop over to Winooski, Pearl or the Co-Op at lunch to get their fill.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:And I was going there on Nov 25. FUCK!
Are you taking orders :D j/k

Speaking of which, does anyone know if retailers are enforcing the same 2 case limit (or other limits)? If not, that could make it REALLY tough to get for a beer tourist as it will probably get snatched up pretty quickly by the locals. If so, and it's a smaller limit (say, 6 cans max) it may not be worth the trip.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

I was in Vermont last weekend and got ridiculously lucky finding Heady Topper.

Healthy Living Market in South Burlington was loading the shelves with Heady at 5pm on a Monday while I was there buying groceries. They had a six 4-pack limit, or 1 case. City Market Onion River in downtown Burlington had Heady Topper on the shelves when they opened their doors on a Tuesday morning. I was down the street at a record shop buying the new Arcade Fire record and stopped walking back to my car.

I imagine the Alchemist's shipping schedule could change in light of these changes but I hope that helps someone get this delicious beer.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Good on them for trying to be a good neighbour. I don't know the community they operate in, but I do know it can be tough when a 'cottage' business takes off and outgrows the local infrastructure. I think it's an indicator of a responsible business that takes a step back and looks for a better way.
As for the accusations that people were using their neighbour's lawn as a turn-around, if true, speaks to a quality of asshole they didn't need as a customer anyway.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Buddy of mine that travels there all the time and has family in the area said that there has been a lot of dis respect to the neighbors by the patrons to the Alchemist.

People waiting in line or parking on their lawn, yes parking on their lawn. It's pretty close the buildings. So as the brewery has gotten busier over time the lives of their neighbors has become "more chaotic".

From an article my buddy read is that they are potentially looking for a new space for just their own retail outlet, which would solve their problems and make this just a temporary situation.

Hopefully this is the case.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I went there last winter as part of a ski trip (stayed in Waterbury), visited the Alchemist on a canning day and picked up some beer no problem. Did not see any of the issues that have been raised about disturbances - perhaps the brewery has seen exponentially more visits in recent months or maybe everything is just a bit blown out of proportion.

I do find it strange that for a town like Waterbury, where tourism is a big business (Ben & Jerry's is there too) that the residents would have such an issue. Perhaps it is simply their immediate neighbours raising hell.

When I went to the Vermont Brewers Fest in the summer, I stopped into the Beverage Warehouse and they had Heady available. And this was a time where the city was full of visitors - and all beer guys to boot. This doesn't strike me where the product won't be able to be found anymore. Just more inconvenient for the dudes on the east coast who are used to driving up in a single day to haul cases home - and seem to be complaining about it the most online.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

From what I understand, it's the immediate neighbors.

While news of the closing was greeted with grief-stricken comments by customers who crashed the Heady Topper website Tuesday afternoon, it drew a big sigh of relief from Amy Kinsell, who owns the house next door to the brewery, "The busier they’ve gotten, the more chaotic my life has gotten,"

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

When I was there over the summer I didn't see anything like that. Lots of parking around back, I don't see why anyone would park on the lawn.

You'd think they could just build the neighbour a fence to keep people off his lawn. There must be more to it than that.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Vermonters hate commotion. I know one of hill farmstads neighbours is monstrously unhappy with all the people driving and parking on hill road to visit the brewery.

Alchemist is supposed to be opening a new retail space at some point.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

I wonder if there is more to it than just pissing off the neighbors. I mean demand seems like it has taken off. But if a lot of that demand is from tourists who are there once, buy a ton and then maybe never come back. If thats cleans out a significant portion of your supply it could lead to problems. I mean you don't want to piss off your bar and store accounts who have regular orders week after week, because people who are essentially non-repeat customers cleaned out your supply.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

sprague11 wrote:Vermonters hate commotion. I know one of hill farmstads neighbours is monstrously unhappy with all the people driving and parking on hill road to visit the brewery.
That doesn't surprise me at all. When I visited HF, I immediatetly began wondering what the neighbours must think about hordes of beer geeks swarming them 5 days a week. I love HF, but I have some sympathy for the neighbours!
Ren

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

jrenihan wrote: That doesn't surprise me at all. When I visited HF, I immediatetly began wondering what the neighbours must think about hordes of beer geeks swarming them 5 days a week. I love HF, but I have some sympathy for the neighbours!
Ren
That's what I was thinking. I was there a few years ago and since then (just based on following facebook and other sites) they have gotten more and more popular. It is pretty much a quiet rural area with a tiny little gravel road up to the farm. I can't imagine what it is like on weekends, or during bottle releases or during one of their events.