Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Building a beer cellar (shelving and stuff)

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Building a beer cellar (shelving and stuff)

Post by atomeyes »

Starting to work on my beer cellar next week. I have the walls up and the carpet's coming out.
Deciding on a few things and i'd appreciate some suggestions.

1. flooring - thinking of having bare concrete floors. if i don't, what would someone suggest? cork?
2. shelves - debating what to do that would be strong, adjustable and economical and not look horrible. anyone have any thoughts about shelving? even having retail-like shelves that you can buy used or at home depot's a thought. otherwise, i'd look at metal shelving units, which wouldn't be adjustable, cost a lot and are probably too tall. i was thinking of making my own wooden shelves, but that will take time and i'm not sure how bad that would look (esp if/when we sell the house)
3. temp adjustments - debating if i should just leave the room winter cold or have some sort of temp monitoring.

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

I bought my shelves at Costco. Kind of expensive, but very sturdy. 125 lbs. per shelf so I keep my beer grains on some of them. I need a couple more to expand my beer cellar, but not at this time of year.
TaxFreeBeerTastesBetter