Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

new Unibroue beers

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

According to the <a href="http://www.unibroue.com/english.cfm">Unibroue website</a>, they have two new beers available - a black currant version of Éphémère, and something called Édition 2004. Anyone had a chance to try either of these? Anyone planning a beer run to Quebec soon? :smile:

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

On 2003-12-01 19:22, GregClow wrote:
and something called Édition 2004.
I assume that Edition 2004 is what would otherwise be called "12". I am looking forward to trying it. Is the 11 being discontinued now? That will be sad.

Once I find out the style, I'll almost certainly be ordering a case of the 2004. There are only a few Belgian styles which I tend to avoid completely, and so far I have very much enjoyed 10, 11 Fringante and Terrible, so I expect to continue going through the "high-end" Unibroue beers which look to appeal to me.

Kid Presentable

Post by Kid Presentable »

I had both beers last night. the cassis is vbery good. the 2004 is great. I picked up a few bottles of each last weekend in montreal.

kp

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kid Presentable on 2003-12-01 22:04 ]</font>

borderline_alcoholic

And what type of beer is the 2004?

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

The Edition 2004 is something like a spiced strong Maudite. It's actually very spicy, but enjoyable stuff.

borderline_alcoholic

Aha, sounds good to me. :wink:

Cheers for the info.

Maudite

Post by Maudite »

The predominate spice used in the 2004 is Cardommon. This is a East Indian exotic spice that has been infused into the beer. This is very different than the 10 and 11 anniversary ale. For private order forward a detailed fax to: 905-404-0121. This will be released for one month only and than that will be it for the year.

Unibroue will also be releasing various products by private order.

Don de Dieu, Eau Benite and Trois Pistoles in 750ml bottles will be made available as well. Dates will be confirmed later on.

We will also be showcasing our Ephemere series on draught as of January 04.

Ephemere Cassis - has a faint red grapefruit color and is a wheat based beer, which is so dry like a champagne and finishes tart.
This will be made available to licensees from January - mid-march.

Ephemere Apple - This will be released for the summer months. May-August.

Maudite - October.

Ephemere Cranberry- made available from November to late December.

Our new mix 12 pack will be made available by April of next year. The Ephemere series will only be made available for a short time.

Enjoy your fill!

Maudite.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I split a bottle of the 2004 with a friend last night, and we were both very impressed. We were amazed by the smoothness and lack of alcohol character given it's high percentage. As some have already noted, it bears some similarity to Maudite, but it's much more robust and flavourful. Fine stuff!

Also popped into Joe's last night, and he mentioned that he'll have the Cassis on tap in the new year.

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Maudite:
I faxed my request for the Edition 2004 to the number you posted but I haven't received a response as of yet. Is there anything else I need to do in order to process this order?

Slainte,
Jeff

Maudite

Post by Maudite »

Gunny.

If you faxed it than we received it. Orders will not be made available for sometime. I'll keep you posted when we will be releasing the product. Maudite.

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Good to here monsieur. I wait with anticipation.

Slainte,
Jeff

Manul

Post by Manul »

Does anyone know where can I buy 2004 in Montreal?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Manul on 2003-12-26 12:40 ]</font>

Maudite

Post by Maudite »

Visit the SAQ stores (Quebec's version of the LCBO) and convenience stores are your best bet. We do have them at the Fourquette Fourchette in Chambly as well. The Metro grocery stores are a safe bet as well. Best of luck!

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

As long as I have been buying beers Quebec, when an Unibroue beer was offered at the SAQ, it wasn't available at any dépaneurs (10, terrible, friguante and now qqchose). The oposite was true as well. As far as I know, 2004 is available at the dépaneurs and therefore unlikely to be available at SAQs. If you can't find it in the neighbouring dépaneurs, head for Métro Joanette.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dhurtubise on 2003-12-27 18:48 ]</font>

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

I can confirm this is depanneur/supermarket fare. Bought mine at Joanette for 7.95$ .There is also a new brewery, Frères Houblons, but experience with their beer, the Blanche de Trois-rivieres....it sucks!