Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muskoka Detour

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BlackRedGold

Muskoka Detour

Post by BlackRedGold »

I believe this is Ontario's first session IPA at 4.3%

http://www.momandhops.ca/muskoka-introd ... ce=twitter

Hopfully it makes it to the LCBO or Beer Stores. Looks promising since they already have the bottle art in their standard branding done for it.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

BlackRedGold wrote:I believe this is Ontario's first session IPA at 4.3%
Looks interesting. Not Ontario's first though, Bellwoods has done a couple, including one that was just bottled this week (Stay Classy) that clocks in at a mere 2.3% ABV.

momnhops

Post by momnhops »

Hits LCBO in Jan!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

im really looking forward to this one!

but i also hope the bottled on dates are easy to find/read

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

momnhops wrote:Hits LCBO in Jan!
That's great news. I find myself seeking out session beers more often lately and having a very difficult time locating any...

Soods

Post by Soods »

Great Lakes Pompous Ass is great at only 4.2%. My go to at the moment.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Soods wrote:Great Lakes Pompous Ass is great at only 4.2%. My go to at the moment.
Great brew indeed. Think it is 4.6% now, instead of 4.2% though...

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Soods wrote:Great Lakes Pompous Ass is great at only 4.2%. My go to at the moment.
is that one availible in cans?

heebes

Post by heebes »

matt7215 wrote:
is that one availible in cans?
exclusively.

only at GLB retail store

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

matt7215 wrote:im really looking forward to this one!

but i also hope the bottled on dates are easy to find/read
Picked some up today.

On the shoulder?

Enjoy by 01 Jun 14

6 Bottle 355 ml $13.65
12 Bottle 355 ml $26.50
24 Bottle 355 ml $46.50

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

There is nothing I hate more than an expiry date on an IPA...just tell me when it was bottled and I can decide when it is best before

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

PeenSteen wrote:There is nothing I hate more than an expiry date on an IPA...just tell me when it was bottled and I can decide when it is best before
I'm pretty sure one of the arguments for "expiry dates" on beers has to do with making sure the store pulls them off the shelves at a certain point and less about trying to hassle the customer who knows it's not going to turn poisonous and wants to see how age effects the beer or decide when it's "too old." I'd prefer breweries list bottled on and "enjoy by" dates, because a brewery generally knows their beer pretty well and when they think their product stops showing well. That way, as a consumer, I can agree or disagree with their "enjoy by" date, but, as a brewery, they don't have to worry about their brand reputation being harmed by less than ideal beer being sold.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

PeenSteen wrote: There is nothing I hate more than an expiry date on an IPA...just tell me when it was bottled and I can decide when it is best before.
I agree, but now that we know this has a BB date of 6 months out, you can use that as a guideline going forward. If you come across a sixer in July that has a BB date of October, it's 3 months old and probably less than optimal. Inconvenient? Sure. But not terribly difficult to figure out either.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

cratez wrote:
PeenSteen wrote: There is nothing I hate more than an expiry date on an IPA...just tell me when it was bottled and I can decide when it is best before.
I agree, but now that we know this has a BB date of 6 months out, you can use that as a guideline going forward. If you come across a sixer in July that has a BB date of October, it's 3 months old and probably less than optimal. Inconvenient? Sure. But not terribly difficult to figure out either.
how is the beer Cratez? Im pretty excited for this one and have been waiting for reviews

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

matt7215 wrote: how is the beer Cratez? Im pretty excited for this one and have been waiting for reviews
I think it's a very good dry-hopped APA that delivers lots of flavour for the weight. It's not as aromatic as Founders All Day (though to me it has more body) and the taste isn't as robust as Naughty Neighbour, but it compares favourably to both and I would gladly buy it again.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott