Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

BEER OF THE YEAR

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

BEER OF THE YEAR

Post by esprit »

I had a pleasant surprise when I picked up The Star today...Josh Rubin selected Rochefort 10 as his beer of the year in Ontario. We're happy to have been able to bring this great brew to Ontario and hope that you all will continue to support Rochefort 8 on the General List.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

esprit wrote:Josh Rubin selected Rochefort 10 as his beer of the year in Ontario.
That's like choosing the 1927 Yankees as your team of the year...

What's the value (or fun) in choosing a classic beer from a brewery that's 400+ years old as your beer of the year? I think we had a pretty good year beer-wise in Ontario to justify a more local (and recent) selection.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

esprit wrote: We're happy to have been able to bring this great brew to Ontario and hope that you all will continue to support Rochefort 8 on the General List.
So are we (consumers), but this is a cop out.

Everything that the guy above said, to a tee; this choice screams "I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or piss anyone off." Ironically, this bothers me more than if he had said "something from Trafalgar".

Grow a pair and make a real pick.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

So, OK then, please nominate your Ontario Beer of the Year for 2013. I think it should be a new beer, ie a beer that was first brewed in 2013 so we don't get a ton of Ten Bitter Years, Twice as Mad Tom and Hellwoods votes, etc. But to each his own.

Mine is Great Lakes Simple Porter. Just an astonishingly good beer for 3.7% abv. Very good no matter what the abv is. Outstanding work.

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

midlife crisis wrote:So, OK then, please nominate your Ontario Beer of the Year for 2013. I think it should be a new beer, ie a beer that was first brewed in 2013 so we don't get a ton of Ten Bitter Years, Twice as Mad Tom and Hellwoods votes, etc. But to each his own.
I'd go with Collective Arts Rhyme & Reason.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

BlackRedGold wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:So, OK then, please nominate your Ontario Beer of the Year for 2013. I think it should be a new beer, ie a beer that was first brewed in 2013 so we don't get a ton of Ten Bitter Years, Twice as Mad Tom and Hellwoods votes, etc. But to each his own.
Seconded.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

Mine is Great Lakes Simple Porter. Just an astonishingly good beer for 3.7% abv. Very good no matter what the abv is. Outstanding work.
Even though it's not technically from 2013, this was the first year of widespread (LCBO) distribution of Cameron's RPA, so I'll go with that. I really liked their Obsidian as well.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I'd say the Cameron Obsidian although Cameron Rye Pale Ale is great too.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

My vote goes to Red on Red.

Yes it was apparently brewed first last year, but it has only been in production this year. Also, perhaps it can only be considered 1/2 Ontario.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

midlife crisis wrote:So, OK then, please nominate your Ontario Beer of the Year for 2013. I think it should be a new beer, ie a beer that was first brewed in 2013...
I nominate Great Lakes Lake Effect IPA. A terrific IPA from an innovative Ontario brewery. A "mainstream" release, not some obscure tiny-batch beer that 50 people get to drink.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Not sure if that is aimed at my nomination, but I've had it in at least four pubs and also in bottles, albeit from the brewery store. So hardly a 50-person beer.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

midlife crisis wrote:Not sure if that is aimed at my nomination...
No, not aimed at your nomination!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
BlackRedGold wrote:
Seconded.
thirded

Mike-KBCo

Post by Mike-KBCo »

Many, many excellent choices but let's go with 2: Rhyme & Reason PA and Nickel Brook's Kiangoi. R&R because it's a great expression of this particular style, and Kiangoi because it was the first beer I've had in ages that actually seemed truly unique and different. Ironically these beers are produced at the same facility by the same person.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Article.
I'm 50/50 on this because Roche 10 does signify a point of arrival in Ontario, literally and symbolically. For years we've griped, and it's about freaking time.

Far as 'actual bests 2013' - I've lost track. Sure, Nickel Brook or Indie Ale house sumpthinorother, etc etc - the point of Señor Rubin's other article is that beer is finally happening here in to the extent that a 'Toronto beer week' is becoming redundant, and he means that in a good way. It's more that we don't need to prop up the idea with a life support system anymore because it finally sells itself.

- yours truly,
not Josh's publicist.
In Beerum Veritas