Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Spencer Trappist Ale

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ECBS

Spencer Trappist Ale

Post by ECBS »

My apologies in advance if this topic has already been opened up elsewhere on the forum, but I was intrigued when I heard that the U.S. now has its own Trappist beer (from St. Joseph's Abbey in Spencer, Massachusetts), as of December 2013 (http://drinkbelgianbeer.com/news/spence ... n-trappist).

Spencer Trappist Ale is already listed on BA (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33618/108956/) and RB (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/spencer-tr ... le/241569/), with no entries on either site.

Does anybody know anything else about this beer (i.e. when and how it's to be released)?

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

Interesting news, but obviously no guarantee of quality. I tried the Gregorius from Stift Engelszell recently (new Austrian trappist brewery), and it was pretty good, but by no means a star. I'd still like to try this new brewery when possible!
Ren

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ECBS wrote:My apologies in advance if this topic has already been opened up elsewhere on the forum, but I was intrigued when I heard that the U.S. now has its own Trappist beer (from St. Joseph's Abbey in Spencer, Massachusetts), as of December 2013 - Article.

Spencer Trappist Ale is already listed on BA
and RB, with no entries on either site.

Does anybody know anything else about this beer (i.e. when and how it's to be released)?
Sounds like they did their research over there with the belgian Trappists. (Wikipedia.)

Description seems like a Belgian Abbey Blonde Ale style. A logical if not exciting start to get them on their feet.
In Beerum Veritas

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I'm about 90% sure I've tried the Spencer Trappist. Apparently the brother of one of the monks knows a Toronto publican who poured it for me and Chris Schryer because what the hell are you going to do with a thing like that? I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt on it because why would you lie about something that obscure?

It was good. Belgian Abbey style Golden Ale with dryness and a surprisingly lemon-y kick. That sort of peppery yeast character. I would have guessed about 6.5%. Nice round body.

I think the problem is that it's hard to attribute the cachet of the trappist brand (and that's what it is, religious institution or no) to a bunch of new dudes.
saintjohnswort.ca

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Supposedly first bottles shipped this week

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/bl ... _mass.html
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

These new Trappist breweries will make it much more difficult for people to do their "Trappist Beer Tour" pilgrimages now... ;)

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

I'll confirm Jordan's story, and description. I would say it was in line with other Trappists in terms of quality. A very nice beer, and one I'd pay for. I've got a semi-secret love for monks as well as members of the Order of the Garter, so a "local" Trappist brewery gets me pretty jazzed. If I could drink a glass with one of the brothers and, say, Prince Charles, I might just blow up......