Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beau's Exporting to NY

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Beau's Exporting to NY

Post by Cass »

I find it a bit odd why more Ontario craft breweries don't do this. Certainly many of the Quebec guys have built strong footholds in some states. Well done Beau's for the expansion.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/O ... story.html

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I'm more of a Beau's fan than most on here, but I find this surprising. Surely they don't believe there's a market for Lugtread in New York... (perhaps that's covered in the article, but I'm pay walled!)

EDIT: Huh, I guess Tom Green will be a regular then. Interesting.
Last edited by Bytowner on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Interesting. I wish them the best, but I worry that Beau's lacks the quality to compete on American shelves.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Interesting. I wish them the best, but I worry that Beau's lacks the quality to compete on American shelves.
Regardless, I think that it's great that they're trying. Ontario is very insular and it's nice to see Beau's giving the US market a shot.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Should also never forget that there is a load of crap on American shelves. It's not Captain Lawrence vs. Beau's. It's Captain Lawrence, quality out-of-staters, and a hodge podge of incosistent nonentities vs. Beau's. Could be that Beau's top notch marketing serves it well, as it has here.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Beau's beer is meh.
their packaging/labeling? i love it.

in the States, their labeling will get them sales.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

atomeyes wrote:Beau's beer is meh.

Exactly, I can easily see Canadian craft beer in cool bottles being enough of a novelty to generate sales at least at the start. And then depending on price point I can easily see it competing with beers like say Brooklyn Lager or that sort of thing.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

It might generate initial sales, but now matter how nice a label is, repeat business will require good beer. And when your competition includes the likes of Founders, Bell's. Firestone Walker, The Bruery, Great Divide, Stone, Ballast Point, AleSmith, Maine and Sierra Nevada (among MANY others), the bar is set pretty high.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:

It might generate initial sales, but now matter how nice a label is, repeat business will require good beer. And when your competition includes the likes of Founders, Bell's. Firestone Walker, The Bruery, Great Divide, Stone, Ballast Point, AleSmith, Maine and Sierra Nevada (among MANY others), the bar is set pretty high.
Except for the most part they probably won't be directly competing with those beers. I mean I am sure there are a ton of people out there who drink lug tread regularly who have never tried Twice as Mad Tom or Boneshaker. Just like in the US there are tons of people who Drink Boston Lager or SNPA or Brooklyn lager regularly, who have never tried KBS or Wookey Jack or Sculpin. The competition for Lug Tread won't be the well made extreme beers, the same way it isn't in in Ontario.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yes but Beaus has carved out a real niche in the craft-yet-accessible segment, relying on excellent marketing and decent if unchallenging beer. Much like Steamwhistle. No reason why that formula can't work in NY state. FWIW they will have the novelty of being Canadian too. EDIT: I was replying to the post two above, agree with Kel's points above.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

im interested in what lug tread will retail for in the states

its just under $4/bottle here, hardly a session worthy price, and i dont think exporting it will make it cheaper

if they are going after the SNPA, Brooklyn Lager crowd they will be priced above what those customers are paying currently

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

matt7215 wrote:im interested in what lug tread will retail for in the states

its just under $4/bottle here, hardly a session worthy price, and i dont think exporting it will make it cheaper

if they are going after the SNPA, Brooklyn Lager crowd they will be priced above what those customers are paying currently
Except how much of that $4 a bottle is taxes, which wouldn't necessarily be charged on a beer sold in New York State?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
matt7215 wrote:im interested in what lug tread will retail for in the states

Except how much of that $4 a bottle is taxes, which wouldn't necessarily be charged on a beer sold in New York State?
you think that it will retail for less the $4/bottle in the states?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:

Except for the most part they probably won't be directly competing with those beers. I mean I am sure there are a ton of people out there who drink lug tread regularly who have never tried Twice as Mad Tom or Boneshaker. Just like in the US there are tons of people who Drink Boston Lager or SNPA or Brooklyn lager regularly, who have never tried KBS or Wookey Jack or Sculpin. The competition for Lug Tread won't be the well made extreme beers, the same way it isn't in in Ontario.
That's a fair comment. I guess this debate is almost pointless without knowing which beers they plan to distribute stateside.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Kel Varnsen wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:It might generate initial sales, but now matter how nice a label is, repeat business will require good beer. And when your competition includes the likes of Founders, Bell's. Firestone Walker, The Bruery, Great Divide, Stone, Ballast Point, AleSmith, Maine and Sierra Nevada (among MANY others), the bar is set pretty high.
That's a fair comment. I guess this debate is almost pointless without knowing which beers they plan to distribute stateside.
Lugtread and Tom Green