Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cheechonaleash

Post by cheechonaleash »

Sold out?! :o

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Belgian wrote:
Cadbury102 wrote:I know 13 per bottle is steep for 500 ml, but it's well worth it.
It's same range of a twenty-dollar 750ml wine, which these days ain't exactly high end. We live cheap in the beer world, sometimes.

Can't wait to try Skeleton Key Spiced and Rum Barrel Aged (1 year) Imperial Stout... you generally won't get that kind of effort put into a wine for the price.
Purchasing acres of land and planting vines and waiting for them to mature and bear fruit. Then harvesting said fruit and aging it in barrels. You generally won't get that kind of effort in beer.

Bellwood's can charge whatever the want to charge for this beer and people can choose to buy it or not.

I suspect that gross profit margins on this product are massive.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Grabbed a few bottles of SK then had some in the pub. Nice beer, well balanced with the chocolate/coffee roast and sweet booze, rum barrel comes through nicely but the spices are low at best. Perhaps they will come through more as the roast and ethanol intensity fades.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cheechonaleash wrote:Sold out?! :o
^ I said I was kidding, so that means it wasn't true. :)
Though there were a fair number of people buying a bottle or two, so it's going fast despite its 13% ABV and $13 price tag.

It actually charmed me how much this is sort of a 'regular' beer store for locals, and it is directly supporting what I think is a very good brewery, no middle man.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

BakaGaijin wrote:
Belgian wrote:
Cadbury102 wrote:I know 13 per bottle is steep for 500 ml, but it's well worth it.
It's same range of a twenty-dollar 750ml wine, which these days ain't exactly high end. We live cheap in the beer world, sometimes.

Can't wait to try Skeleton Key Spiced and Rum Barrel Aged (1 year) Imperial Stout... you generally won't get that kind of effort put into a wine for the price.
Purchasing acres of land and planting vines and waiting for them to mature and bear fruit. Then harvesting said fruit and aging it in barrels. You generally won't get that kind of effort in beer.

Bellwood's can charge whatever the want to charge for this beer and people can choose to buy it or not.

I suspect that gross profit margins on this product are massive.
This is the beer they had to buy the barrels for twice, because customs cut them in half the first time. That's gotta hurt the margins.

Tasty beer though. I was worried the spices would be overpowering, but they really aren't.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

I'm always whining about price on a lot of Ontario beer, but that is mostly due to the fact that most of these breweries are overcharging for average to below average products almost taking advantage of the fact that most Ontario's craft brew fans have little other choice if they want an IPA or stout.

Bellwoods' pricing is right in line with many of the upper tier breweries in the states and honestly they should be. They are far and away Ontario's top brewery and they should price what their market will support.

Personally, I buy their stuff on a beer by beer basis based on the comparables I can easily pick up in ny. I buy their IPAs when I'm in town for in town drinking but don't stock up to take back to Niagara because they are much more expensive than American counterparts. If I didn't have the us option then Bellwoods would be all I drank. Their special releases I stock up on though because there's nothing comparable that are easily available.

cheechonaleash

Post by cheechonaleash »

Belgian wrote:
cheechonaleash wrote:Sold out?! :o
^ I said I was kidding, so that means it wasn't true. :)
Though there were a fair number of people buying a bottle or two, so it's going fast despite its 13% ABV and $13 price tag..
*did not compute - hope stock available tomorrow resuming*

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ckoop wrote:I'm always whining about price on a lot of Ontario beer ... most of these breweries are overcharging for average to below average products...

Bellwoods' pricing is right in line with many of the upper tier breweries in the states and honestly they should be. They are far and away Ontario's top brewery...
Nothing more to add!

Except to say it's not really a polarizing issue. There is a (intrinsic) value scale and there is a price scale, no point arguing the one without regard to the other.
In Beerum Veritas

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

In this recent article regarding why American craft beer is so expensive the journalist found that 31% was the retailer's margin, 21% was the distrubtor's margin, and 6% was shipping. These are all costs that do not relate to Bellwood's current model.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/1 ... 70015.html

Just sayin'.

No doubt that they make great beer, and I hope to pick up a couple bottles of this one.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cracked one of the Skeleton Key after dinner... wow. Extremely refined and drinkable, big beer. There's oak and there's a harmonious rum influence, and the spices are seamless. It's very unified, as opposed to stout with X Y Z added. Powerful yet velvety, nice! Easily one of the best beers from Ontario, probably ever.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Love these reviews....I only grabbed 2 bottles....but may need to crack one open asap, haha....

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Going to try to grab some Skeleton Key this week, anyone have an idea of what the stock looks like? Any chance it holds out until later this week?

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

liamt07 wrote:Going to try to grab some Skeleton Key this week, anyone have an idea of what the stock looks like? Any chance it holds out until later this week?

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

rfrf wrote:
liamt07 wrote:Going to try to grab some Skeleton Key this week, anyone have an idea of what the stock looks like? Any chance it holds out until later this week?
:(

Bar_Hop

Post by Bar_Hop »

Sawdust City x Bar Hop The Blood Of Cthulhu will be released on draught this Friday, October 31st, at our annual Black & Orange party as well as at the Sawdust Taproom in Gravenhurst. Added bonus- a limited run of 650ml bottles will also be available at the the Sawdust City retail store that same day. It's a 9.5% Imperial Stout with Raspberries, Tart Cherries & Cranberries! From Sam:

After a long hibernation in his undersea realm Cthulhu has heard the call and has risen once again! With the help of our good friends at Barhop, we conjured up The Great Old One and created a beer in his honour. Brewed with a ridiculous a mount of malt and a mixture of raspberries, cranberries and tart cherries it expounds with flavours of rich chocolate and tart, mouth puckering fruit. It pours as black as the blood of a malevolent demi-god and throws off aromas of roasted malt, chocolate and fresh fruit.