Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Join us this Sat Dec. 6 for Double Tempest day! We'll have a special flight with Tempest, Double Tempest, Sour Cherry & Full City Tempest!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

What time does that get started? Will there be enough of the flights to last the whole day? I know last year they ran out, which is understandable because they were pouring bottles from previous years.

MetalHead

Post by MetalHead »

rfrf wrote:Join us this Sat Dec. 6 for Double Tempest day! We'll have a special flight with Tempest, Double Tempest, Sour Cherry & Full City Tempest!
Is this at the Leaside brewery or the brewpub downtown?
Beer, not just for breakfast anymore.

skootles

Post by skootles »

instantkamera wrote:
mgmoney wrote:Picked up some Bellwoods Brettalhead...looks like a ton of stuff coming soon from them ...including Motley Cru
Yeah Motley wont be till April, but I'm waiting for BA Omerta...
As am I. They originally said late September or early October but when that came and went they told me it'd likely be a 2015 release.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

MetalHead wrote:
rfrf wrote:Join us this Sat Dec. 6 for Double Tempest day! We'll have a special flight with Tempest, Double Tempest, Sour Cherry & Full City Tempest!
Is this at the Leaside brewery or the brewpub downtown?
I don't want to speak for them, but I'm betting the flights are downtown. Last year they did flights and bottle sales downtown and you could get bottles at Leaside too.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Info on the Double Tempest release:
Amsterdam Brewery is proud to announce the release of the 2014 batch of Barrel Aged Double Tempest on Saturday December 6th. This 14% Imperial Stout was aged in freshly emptied Buffalo Trace Bourbon barrels for 11 months, and will be released in very limited quantities at both the Amsterdam BrewHouse retail store at 245 Queen's Quay W, as well as the Amsterdam Brewery retail store at 45 Esandar Dr.

Using double the malts and double the hops that are in Tempest Imperial Stout, the brewing team at Amsterdam has created a beer full of dense chocolate and deep malt flavours with a rich, candied bourbon oak finish from the barrel aging. According to Brewmaster Iain McOustra, "Double Tempest was really an experiment in taking those base Tempest flavours and really just trying to get as many of those flavours as we could into a beer. I think the barrel really drew it all together." There is a vanilla softness to the beer with a bourbon kick from the Buffalo Trace barrels, making for a surprisingly smooth 115 IBU, 14% Imperial Stout. Double Tempest will also age well for up to 3 years.

Double Tempest is one of Amsterdam's most requested and popular Adventure Brews, and the brewery will be celebrating its release at the Amsterdam BrewHouse by offering a special Imperial Stout flight (with samples of Tempest, Double Tempest, Full City Tempest with Kona Coffee, and Sour Cherry Imperial Stout included). There will also be a rare collection of Adventure Brews, casks as well as collaborations and brews from friends of the Amsterdam Brewery on tap for the event. Bottles of Barrel Aged Double Tempest will be available in both the BrewHouse & Brewery retail stores when they open at 11am, and the first ten customers to purchase Double Tempest at each location will receive a limited edition linocut Double Tempest poster. Bottles will cost $15 each and will be limited to 4 per customer, and any customer that purchases 4 bottles of Double Tempest will receive a complimentary Amsterdam Adventure Brew pint glass.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I snagged a few Double Tempest at the Leaside LCBO (Eglinton Laird) last year. No big drama, just went in and bought 'em. This was some time after the nearby Brewery release, and it's a good store to drop by if you're by Amsterdam anyway for your 'non-LCBO' goodies..
In Beerum Veritas

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Cass wrote:Info on the Double Tempest release:
Amsterdam Brewery is proud to announce the release of the 2014 batch of Barrel Aged Double Tempest on Saturday December 6th. This 14% Imperial Stout was aged in freshly emptied Buffalo Trace Bourbon barrels for 11 months, and will be released in very limited quantities at both the Amsterdam BrewHouse retail store at 245 Queen's Quay W, as well as the Amsterdam Brewery retail store at 45 Esandar Dr.

Using double the malts and double the hops that are in Tempest Imperial Stout, the brewing team at Amsterdam has created a beer full of dense chocolate and deep malt flavours with a rich, candied bourbon oak finish from the barrel aging. According to Brewmaster Iain McOustra, "Double Tempest was really an experiment in taking those base Tempest flavours and really just trying to get as many of those flavours as we could into a beer. I think the barrel really drew it all together." There is a vanilla softness to the beer with a bourbon kick from the Buffalo Trace barrels, making for a surprisingly smooth 115 IBU, 14% Imperial Stout. Double Tempest will also age well for up to 3 years.

Double Tempest is one of Amsterdam's most requested and popular Adventure Brews, and the brewery will be celebrating its release at the Amsterdam BrewHouse by offering a special Imperial Stout flight (with samples of Tempest, Double Tempest, Full City Tempest with Kona Coffee, and Sour Cherry Imperial Stout included). There will also be a rare collection of Adventure Brews, casks as well as collaborations and brews from friends of the Amsterdam Brewery on tap for the event. Bottles of Barrel Aged Double Tempest will be available in both the BrewHouse & Brewery retail stores when they open at 11am, and the first ten customers to purchase Double Tempest at each location will receive a limited edition linocut Double Tempest poster. Bottles will cost $15 each and will be limited to 4 per customer, and any customer that purchases 4 bottles of Double Tempest will receive a complimentary Amsterdam Adventure Brew pint glass.
I wonder how early you need to line up to be one of the first 10 in line....

skootles

Post by skootles »

Belgian wrote:I snagged a few Double Tempest at the Leaside LCBO (Eglinton Laird) last year. No big drama, just went in and bought 'em. This was some time after the nearby Brewery release, and it's a good store to drop by if you're by Amsterdam anyway for your 'non-LCBO' goodies..
Nice. I like the Laird LCBO, during the summer I randomly stumbled upon some 2013 Tempest there and bought a whole bunch. I also went down the road to the Coxwell/Danforth LCBO and snagged the last two 2013 Muskoka Winter Beards.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

ercousin wrote:

Last year you didn't have to be there all that early, I don't think.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Craig wrote:
ercousin wrote:
Last year you didn't have to be there all that early, I don't think.
Nice ploy, squeaky...

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

8)

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

For those of you wondering. I hauled my butt and my families butt down here and my family's butt and I'm 3rd in line so you should be OK.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

JeffPorter wrote:For those of you wondering. I hauled my butt and my families butt down here and my family's butt and I'm 3rd in line so you should be OK.
and they opened early! bonus

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Second in line!
lister