Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Charchuk

Post by Charchuk »

Or they want a limited edition piece of glassware that did sell out.

nickw

Post by nickw »

mgmoney wrote:Yup got mine today no line up tons left ...hipsters just love standing in lines makes em feel cool
The word "hipster" is so boring. What defines "hipster"? The overweight dudes in ill-fitting jeans? The guys with neck beards and un-trendy MEC backpacks? The middle aged guys? I saw all of these people ahead of me in line when I got there at 10:20.

"Oh, it's on Ossington, let's cast a wide net with our dumb, derogatory terms for the people who live nearby!"

:roll:

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

munrets wrote:I just dropped by Bellwoods and was in and out in two minutes with four MCs. Hundreds of bottle left today.
if you really wanted the glass you probably had to stand in line before they opened, but when i saw the picture that bellwoods posted of the line i was really scratching my head.

i guess if you didn't take the time to figure out that there was over 3000 bottles available you might think you needed to stand in line for this, but there was no way they were going to sell out in a few hours with that many bottles. i'm really shocked that it's just about gone right now even, but if most people were maxing out their 8 bottle limit i imagine a lot of them were grabbing bottles for other people.

bellwoods, please lower your limits i mean an 8 bottle limit is barely a limit, i can't see how it would hurt to have this bottle available in your store for 2-3 weekends to help out of towners get there (especially on a holiday weekend). i think a 2-4 bottle limit on this would have been adequate for most people and would've increased the length of time this was available.

but congrats to bellwoods on three awesome years, you're one of the only breweries in ontario that give me faith in ontario craft beer! i wonder if other breweries saw that line photo and asked themselves "how do they do that!? why not us?"

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

My apologies ....didn't know the word hipster was derogatory...and btw I grew up on Lisgar St in the nieighborhood..I lived in the neighborhood when The Drake and The Gladstone were denizens of crack whores...so yeah...I have seen the neighborhood change a lot with ahem an influx of trend conscious new neighbors (better?)
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

ckoop wrote:
bellwoods, please lower your limits i mean an 8 bottle limit is barely a limit, i can't see how it would hurt to have this bottle available in your store for 2-3 weekends to help out of towners get there (especially on a holiday weekend). i think a 2-4 bottle limit on this would have been adequate for most people and would've increased the length of time this was available.
I see where you are coming from here, but for a number of reasons, I don't see this happening.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
ckoop wrote:
I see where you are coming from here, but for a number of reasons, I don't see this happening.
oh i know...this will be last time i whine about it...probably.

Charchuk

Post by Charchuk »

If anyone missed out and is in the Hamilton area, we've got some bottles of Motley available at the Brux House.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

nickw wrote:
mgmoney wrote:Yup got mine today no line up tons left ...hipsters just love standing in lines makes em feel cool
The word "hipster" is so boring. What defines "hipster"? The overweight dudes in ill-fitting jeans? The guys with neck beards and un-trendy MEC backpacks? The middle aged guys? I saw all of these people ahead of me in line when I got there at 10:20.

"Oh, it's on Ossington, let's cast a wide net with our dumb, derogatory terms for the people who live nearby!"

people who use the term "hipster" are 98% of the time insecure of themselves and their understanding of what's cool.

there were maybe 2 true-definition hipsters in line, and i was in line for 2 hrs and saw everyone pass by. Bellwoods is so far from being a hipster bar, it's not even funny.

people should go drink at Ronnie's if they want to understand what the "hipster" stereotype's supposed to be.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

nickw wrote:"Oh, it's on Ossington, let's cast a wide net with our dumb, derogatory terms for the people who live nearby!"
I think we've established that hipsters are people who got there before you missed it, or who are audaciously making you wait in line behind them. This ALL suggests locals. The daaaaamn locals... Varmints!
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I was there during peak lineup time and had a good time chatting with people around me.
A number of out of towners who had come into Toronto for "beer weekends" to hit some breweries and bars. Was a nice mix of people, can't say I would identify any of the people near me in line as a hipster.
I decided I did want a glass, since I am purging other glassware I don't use, that was my main reason for not waiting until evening/Sunday.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

My sincerest apologies... Guess I been told!
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

atomeyes wrote: people who use the term "hipster" are 98% of the time insecure of themselves and their understanding of what's cool.

there were maybe 2 true-definition hipsters in line, and i was in line for 2 hrs and saw everyone pass by. Bellwoods is so far from being a hipster bar, it's not even funny.

people should go drink at Ronnie's if they want to understand what the "hipster" stereotype's supposed to be.
nailed it.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

velovampire wrote:
atomeyes wrote: people who use the term "hipster" are 98% of the time insecure of themselves and their understanding of what's cool.

nailed it.
Don't drink at Ronnie's. It smells like cat pee... and possibly hipster pee.
saintjohnswort.ca

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

atomeyes wrote:
nickw wrote:

people who use the term "hipster" are 98% of the time insecure of themselves and their understanding of what's cool.

Thats exactly what a hipster would say. Also, hipsters are the new hippies. Except none of the sex, and a vertical migration of the hair.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

saints_gambit wrote:
velovampire wrote:
nailed it.
Don't drink at Ronnie's. It smells like cat pee... and possibly hipster pee.
We must have both been there at the Bar Towel Pub Crawl in 2010. Stinky catbox aromas with unsettling earthy-sulfur notes. Why are smelly places supported to be cool?
In Beerum Veritas