Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yes. To me, Immodest is better than Robohop, Garrison IIPA, Cockpuncher, Screaming Beaver ....

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

midlife crisis wrote:Yes. To me, Immodest is better than to Robohop, Garrison IIPA, Cockpuncher, Screaming Beaver ....
Well, a 6 month old Budweiser is better than Screaming Beaver! lol.

In all seriousness, IMO, the following are better than Immodest:

Robohop
Thrust
Witchshark
Humulus Ludicrous
Twenty Pounder
Tommy Likey
6-4-3

That's off the top of my head. As I think about it, IIPA is a very under-represented style in Canada - very few from Quebec and not that many in Ontario either.

I am not knocking Immodest - I enjoyed it. It just wasn't top notch in my opinion. But I know others that enjoyed it as much as you did.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

My next favourite Canadian IIPA is probably Amnesiac, which you don't mention. I haven't had everything on your list though, particularly Thrust which I really regret missing. But I much preferred Immodest to Robohop, for example, and I think I prefer it to Witchshark too, though it's hard to say without trying them in some type of proximity. I think I like a particular type of IIPA, those that are on the sweeter end of the spectrum rather than the bone dry ones.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

midlife crisis wrote:My next favourite Canadian IIPA is probably Amnesiac, which you don't mention. I haven't had everything on your list though, particularly Thrust which I really regret missing. But I much preferred Immodest to Robohop, for example, and I think I prefer it to Witchshark too, though it's hard to say without trying them in some type of proximity. I think I like a particular type of IIPA, those that are on the sweeter end of the spectrum rather than the bone dry ones.
and surprisingly, I have never had Amnesiac! Thrust will be back soon enough...

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

It all comes down to personal taste. Did a side-by-side between Immodest and Robohop about a week ago. Love both beers, but I liked Immodest slightly better. The only major Canadian IIPA I have not had to compare it to is Twenty Pounder and I'd put Immodest in my top three. Actually, the only Canadian DIPA I liked more was the very first year of Wild Roses Imperial in 2009 (?). Not to be a homer, but I'd likely rank t highly against many of the big US DIPA's as well. I could likely find 10 or 15 better, but I'd still put it 90th percentile, although I'll likely get slagged for saying so.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

I wasn't too crazy about Robohop and Twenty Pounder a few weeks back...but Peresephone DIPA. Good lord, find someone in BC to send you that and this discussion will be over.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm not sure if this qualifies (hey wait a sec, I made this thread! Poof, it qualifies!) but this is a little interesting:

Bellwoods Brewery ‏@bellwoodsbeer 15h
Molotov Cocktail IIPA and Lil B Imperial Porter from Evil Twin are in the brewpub now!

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

squeaky wrote:I'm not sure if this qualifies (hey wait a sec, I made this thread! Poof, it qualifies!) but this is a little interesting:

Bellwoods Brewery ‏@bellwoodsbeer 15h
Molotov Cocktail IIPA and Lil B Imperial Porter from Evil Twin are in the brewpub now!
WVRST has about 6 ET beers in now on their bottle list, priced around 12-15.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:Yes. To me, Immodest is better than to Robohop, Garrison IIPA, Cockpuncher, Screaming Beaver ....

That's off the top of my head. As I think about it, IIPA is a very under-represented style in Canada - very few from Quebec and not that many in Ontario either.
Correction, plenty of IIPAs just 5% are bottled so you wouldn't know about them.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

A personal favourite...

Great Lakes Brewery ‏@GreatLakesBeer 1h
The #GLBretail store opens at 10am today and we'll be welcoming back #AudreyHopburn Belgian IPA in 473ml cans!! I... http://fb.me/6BMaBR8Zg

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

This batch of Audrey HopBurn is just as delicious as I remember it, by the way. Love that beer.

In other news...

Bellwoods Brewery ‏@bellwoodsbeer 1h
Boogie Monster returns to the Bottle Shop this Thursday with a brand new label! Details here: http://tinyurl.com/pnrazle

I can't recall trying this one before. Has anyone tried it? Any good?

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

squeaky wrote:Bellwoods Brewery ‏@bellwoodsbeer 1h
Boogie Monster returns to the Bottle Shop this Thursday with a brand new label! Details here: http://tinyurl.com/pnrazle

I can't recall trying this one before. Has anyone tried it? Any good?
I had a bottle over Christmas when it was first released. I recall it reminding me a lot of Founders Double Trouble... a very hoppy, mango-y IIPA.

It was 10.1% abv when it released in December, now it's 8%, which isn't a bad thing.

I'll definitely pick up a couple bottles this coming Thursday.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

bellwoods website wrote:drinking Boogie Monster will will ward off bad dreams
Is that that a fact. Yes, alcohol does not cause light sleeping with semi-conscious imaginings... that never happens happens.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Mike Lackey ‏@Lackey101 Aug 29
Brewed 9,000 litres of Thrust! today. Look for it in cans and kegs @TorontoBeerWeek

Giddyup.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I love how Bellwoods give out information about all the fun stuff they have in the works. Especially when that fun stuff includes my favourite beer of theirs:
Forget about what’s going into barrels, let’s remember that it’s even more fun to extract things from barrels. The incredibly popular Bring Out Your Dead Cognac Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout, only released once before, is finally scheduled to come out of barrels (and into bottles) later this month. This balanced and boozy sipper will be released very close to Halloween.
http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/barrels-4-life/