Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Ceecee wrote:Now at the SAQ:

Chouffe N'Ice Bière Extra-Forte
Bière brune de type Ale, 330 ml
BELGIQUE

PRODUCTEUR Brasserie d'Achouffe SA
DEGRÉ D'ALCOOL 10 %
3,65 $
The SAQ may have it's flaws but they consistently provide good Belgian options. I've always been a La Chouffe fan, though not as much into McChouffe. I will keep an eye out for this one next time I'm in Quebec.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Stumbled on Driftwood Fat Tug at the LCBO on the weekend. Hadn't heard it was coming. Maybe not the most exciting beer to some here, but a fine one none the less. A nice surprise and at $6, I think it's cheaper than I recall in B.C.!

Also, I don't usually pay much attention to graphics, but their new label is awesome.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

the fat tug was quite nice. somewhat Stone-y in character... but, better.
and, yeah, the metallic/pearlescent custom die cut label makes you feel like you're getting a real deal for your $6!

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

ddc ba peche mortel. anyone have any info on this release?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at the SAQ

Fuller's Black Cab Stout

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

this sounds good.. from Hill Farmstead

On Wednesday, October 12, we are excited to release

Clover

375ml, $22, 2 bottles per person (credit card and matching ID required, please see our bottle release policy).

Clover (2005-2014) was a grey cat. Simple. Yet, a few moments with her quickly revealed an independent, playful, occasionally subdued and reflective personality, one that held sway where she might roam. Clover was our compatriot, our guardian of grain, our huntress and our muse. We did not own Clover; she graced our presence.

In her honor, we mindfully blended barrels of Ann, Art, and Flora that had been aged for 12 to 22 months—guided by her lingering spirit towards a beer of elegance, grace and patience. As often as our Clover would, this beer took its own path and its own time to become what it is now; an effervescent, refined reflection of both our melancholy for her departure but, most importantly, our joy in traveling with her for a while.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Great Lakes is releasing Solstice Imperial Stout again today.

Bellwoods released Ghost Orchid, a pale ale. They also said:
Coming down the pipeline we've got 5 hits from the past -- 3 of them are barrel-aged, 2 contain cherries, and 2 are imperial stouts.
All coming before the end of the year.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Craig wrote:Great Lakes is releasing Solstice Imperial Stout again today.

Coming down the pipeline we've got 5 hits from the past -- 3 of them are barrel-aged, 2 contain cherries, and 2 are imperial stouts.
I hope they did Montmorency Farmageddon again. I missed the first round.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Double Tempest is selling at the Queen's Quay Amsterdam tomorrow morning. Yes Saturday, bitches.

They have a bottle check service so if you want to snag yor 2-4 bottles and then go in to have a quaff of beer you are likewise well accommodated.
In Beerum Veritas

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

I went over to the Amsterdam Brewhouse bottle shop on Queen's Quay around 2:30 in hopes of picking up some Double Tempest. Not even close - apparently it sold out within an hour and a half. So I settled for having a sample on draft at the Brewhouse. It was very nice but the Coup de Grace which I also sampled was a complete showstopper for me. A nice viscous mouthfeel with tons of chocolate and a bit of raisin; it was almost like drinking some glosettes with the booze cranked up. Bourbon was present, but not overpowering, in both beers which is in line with my personal preferences. I missed Coup de Grace at Cask Days so very please that I got to try it today.

I also picked up a bottle of Amsterdam's Brush Fire smoked porter. This one I did try at Cask Days and frankly didn't like all that much, but it was towards the end of the evening and I feel that owe this beer a fair chance with a cleansed palate.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sounds amazing still!

You made me go look, I still have a 2014 Double Tempest, and of the regular Tempest three 2012 and just one 2011. Those latter ones are probably late matured. I will have to break out a 11 and 12 at the same time.

I really liked Calm Before The Storm which was like a super steroids dark mild ale - it was made using the 'second runnings' of the big, chocolately Tempest malt bill, so it was like a small beer extracting the remaining malt goodness. Had good texture, loads of flavor, I've only seen it once in 2012 so perhaps the process for the result wasn't commercially worth the effort.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I liked calm before the storm a lot too. It's a shame that the session style that gained the most popularity is session IPAs. I've always found them to taste mostly like watery IPAs, where a nice mild is actually a beer I like on its own merits.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Provost Drunk wrote:I went over to the Amsterdam Brewhouse bottle shop on Queen's Quay around 2:30 in hopes of picking up some Double Tempest. Not even close - apparently it sold out within an hour and a half.
apparently double tempest was a really small batch. they even lowered the bottle limit from 6 to 4 but it still disappeared quickly. i got there around 12:30 with 2 others and there was ~20 bottles left, we got 4 each and it was sold out 20 seconds later. i'd probably part with a bottle if someone missed out and really wants one.

does anyone know what actually happened to normal tempest?? will it ever come back? is the double tempest really a 'double' if there's nothing for it to be a double of ?

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

distr0 wrote:apparently double tempest was a really small batch
Damn, l was hoping to pick some up on Monday. Last year they still had bottles on Monday or Tuesday after the release.

skootles

Post by skootles »

Craig wrote:Great Lakes is releasing Solstice Imperial Stout again today.

It sounded to me like it wasn't a new batch of Solstice, rather just bottles that they've saved from the last release. Also I'm almost 100% sure one of those Bellwoods releases will be Grandma's Boy, sometime mid-December.