Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

skootles

Post by skootles »

Yeah, it was weird, there were a whole bunch on the counter in front of me but when I asked I was told they weren't released yet and that they were still running tests on 'em.

Oh well, I'll just pick some up tomorrow when I'm there for Warp & Weft!

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

The Double Nelson (clever pun) is indeed amazing. I prefer it to either of their other Double IPA's. Granted it's not quite as "double" as some of the doubles we see in the states. The alcohol is much more nuanced than either the Witchshark or the Boogie Monster. Yay for Nelson Sauvin.

Plenty of boxes of Warp & Weft left.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

napoleon wrote:The Double Nelson (clever pun) is indeed amazing...
OK you made me open a bottle. It's more viscous in feel than I expected, full on the palate, and features different shades of the NS hop very well. Some winey gooseberry fruitiness and a hint of sweet grapefruit zing. Really nice structure, yes this wins.

Enjoying with boiled small fresh white potatoes, a dish by itself with minced parsley, butter and fresh ground pepper. Mmm.
In Beerum Veritas

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Belgian wrote: Enjoying with boiled small fresh white potatoes, a dish by itself with minced parsley, butter and fresh ground pepper. Mmm.
:o

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

jeremyg wrote:
Belgian wrote: Enjoying with boiled small fresh white potatoes, a dish by itself with minced parsley, butter and fresh ground pepper. Mmm.
Oh there's nothing like baby potatoes that went from being pulled out of the ground to on the plate in 30 minutes
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

#FreshGLB ‏@GreatLakesBeer 1h1 hour ago Toronto, Ontario
New Beer Alert!!

Behind The Wavy Wall Russian Imperial Stout
$9.95
650ml bottle
11.9%
Limited amount
#GLBretail

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

If anyone would be willing, I'd love 3-4 bottles of the GLB RIS. I'm coming from Kitchener on Sunday to Toronto, I could bring some trade beers or cash. I just can't get down there until Sunday....

Let me know

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

GLB's Octopus Wants To Fight IPA returns to their retail store in cans this Friday at 10am.

I don't think it has quite the fanfare as Thrust or Karma Citra so I imagine it'll last in the store for a short while.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

icemachine wrote:
jeremyg wrote:
Oh there's nothing like baby potatoes that went from being pulled out of the ground to on the plate in 30 minutes
This is correct. Little dill, maybe. Little sea salt.
saintjohnswort.ca

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Jutsu v3 is at the bellwoods store as of last night.

skootles

Post by skootles »

DeMarco wrote:Jutsu v3 is at the bellwoods store as of last night.
Also a v4 as well.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

amarillo monogamy is back

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Jutsu v.5 is at the Bellwoods bottle shop. I'll pick some up this evening and continue trying these variants.

So far v.2 and v.3 have been my favourites. However, when I read the descriptions on their websites, v.1 and v.4 sounded more appealing to me. It's been an interesting and delicious experiment learning what I actually like in a beer.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Bottles of the homebrew competition winner are available as of today too.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

I just think v5 might be my fav, seems to have the strongest grapefruit profile of them all, and the most easily distinguishable, whereas I struggled with some of the earlier ones.

The Home Brew Winner Midnight Pilot is a solid coffee release. First few sips were stunning. Mellowed off halfway through, but the shine showed up again near the end of the glass. The strength of the coffee taste mimics very well what cold brew coffees do best, by having a strong consistent flavour that doesn't turn the palette bitter by the end of the glass. From the realm of coffee stouts, this is definitely up there I would love if this was re-released as a tweaked or seasonal beer.