Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

El Pinguino wrote:So....whats a Canadian Pale Ale? :P
Matt is correct about OT CPA.

And there is only one CIPA namely Scotch Irish Brewing Co. Sgt Majors IPA. Was....
I pine for this beer's pleasantly funky resiny notes. Orange you nostalgic for the citrus-pith aromas this one had back when Church Key still made it? It deserves its own category. I say we crowd-source a fund to bring it back with Perry's oversight & deft hand at brewing.
In Beerum Veritas

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Left Field's pop up shops they've held for the last couple weekends. I stopped by last Saturday afternoon for the first time since their opening party last year. It's pretty similar to what's going on at Junction with more natural light.

I picked up a bottle of Maris Pale Ale and tried the Prospect Citra on tap, which was quite good. It's kind of neat we have Bellwoods Monogamy Citra, Great Lakes Karma Citra and Left Field Prospect Citra available all at the same time. I guess you could do a citra tasting if you were so inclined.

They've updated their Facebook page saying they're releasing a coffee porter this weekend in collaboration with Pilot Coffee Roasters, who are next door to the brewery. Funny enough, Pilot's coffee shop Crafted is across the street from Bellwoods. Pilot coffee is one of favourites in the city, so I'll make a point to try this.

My only complaint is the $3 bottle deposit, which is quite steep. I live and work in the west end, which won't make me a frequent customer, but even if I lived nearby, I'd be turned off by this just the same. I have to say that the bottle deposit will likely keep me from returning to the brewery but I'll continue to try their beers on draft.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

jp_jkl wrote:
My only complaint is the $3 bottle deposit, which is quite steep. .
Have you ever purchased a growler anywhere before? $3 is about as low as a growler deposit/purchase gets. Try going to Amsterdam, where they have a ridiculous $25 deposit on their 2L growlers.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

new beer from Kensington Brewery is coming out soon.

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2015/03 ... ted-brand/

sounds kinda gross to me. pine resin and melon and rye?

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Both the 6-4-3 (iipa) and Bricks and Mortar (coffee porter) are extremely well done. So much coffee in the latter - compared to all the Peche and other Imperial coffee stouts out there the first sip threw me. I imagine both won't last past tomorrow afternoon.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

As of 11 AM this morning, GLB still had a few bottles of the three flavoured Harry Porters. Only a 4 or 5 each of Raspberry Fruitcake and Cherry Hoarder in the fridge when I left. A few more of the Bourbon Vanilla. Not sure if they have more, but doubt it.

Also, still some Last Vestiges of Winter, and GLBxBarHop Breakfast for Dinner Rye Stout.

Cheers!

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

Anyone been to bellwoods lately?:any hints on the lambda, motley or Boyd releases?

cheechonaleash

Post by cheechonaleash »

beerguykw wrote:Anyone been to bellwoods lately?:any hints on the lambda, motley or Boyd releases?
Motley is April 4. That's all I got.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

What is Motley this year?

cheechonaleash

Post by cheechonaleash »

Craig wrote:What is Motley this year?
I haven't heard anything other than a couple hints that were dropped in a newsletter.

"1. The blend includes barrels in their 3rd year of age, and 2. We made about triple the quantity of last year. We're hoping this last factor will help to keep it on the shelves for longer than 5 hours. More details will be released in a couple weeks, but we'll be celebrating on Saturday April 4th, so mark off your calendars now!"

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Shame I'll be in the Azores then. Actually, not really a shame, but I'll probably miss out on the beer.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

cheechonaleash wrote:
I haven't heard anything other than a couple hints that were dropped in a newsletter.

"1. The blend includes barrels in their 3rd year of age, and 2. We made about triple the quantity of last year. We're hoping this last factor will help to keep it on the shelves for longer than 5 hours. More details will be released in a couple weeks, but we'll be celebrating on Saturday April 4th, so mark off your calendars now!"
http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/the-power-of-the-blend/

cheechonaleash

Post by cheechonaleash »

rfrf wrote:
cheechonaleash wrote:

http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/the-power-of-the-blend/
Sounds Interesting. Label looks like 3996 bottles. Is that what everyone else is seeing too?

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

grape allergy-that's why I drink beer. Enjoy boys!

cheechonaleash

Post by cheechonaleash »

northyorksammy wrote:grape allergy-that's why I drink beer. Enjoy boys!
Damn that's too bad.