Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases

Post by Craig »

I've always thought it would be good to have a thread just for talking about new releases coming from the breweries that aren't going to be in the LCBO or Beer store. Am I alone on this?

Anywho, Bellwoods is talking big about the new berliner weisses they're releasing on Thursday:
...the surprise that I can’t even be modest about because it blew my mind doors right off the hinges. Esteemed citizens of Toronto, I’m ridiculously excited to introduce you to the 2 beers that have sky-rocketed to the top of our favourites (ever!) list: Warp & Weft, and Weft & Warp.

In the dead of winter last year we filled two sets of barrels, tequila and white wine, with a sour berliner as an experiment of sorts. Unsure of how the flavours would mingle but excited to monitor the results, it wasn’t long before we realized that we had created something exceptional.

Warp & Weft is our tequila barrel-aged berliner weisse. Sour, citrusy, and taking on all the complex flavours of tequila without the harsh alcohol heat, this intense beer is strangely like a margarita. Subtle flavours of aloe, grapefruit, lime juice and salt vie for a background role.

Weft & Warp is our white wine barrel-aged berliner weisse. Sour, with a bright floral bouquet and intense peach flavours not unlike those present in a Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay, this version too has taken on a lot of barrel characteristics. A great foil for the tequila barrel version.

In our humblest, down home opinions, these two beers are every conceivable metaphor you could make about home runs.
I'm a little excited. We don't get many Berliners in Ontario.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Great idea, squeaky! So many great non-lcbo beers out right now.

Likewise, I think Junction, has their CDA, Dark Matter in their store this week.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

JeffPorter wrote:Great idea, squeaky! So many great non-lcbo beers out right now.
+1

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

squeaky wrote:I'm a little excited. We don't get many Berliners in Ontario.

^ 'Berliners' are good. And the Berliner Weisse Bellwoods beers aged in barrels sound pretty amazing too.

Very good idea for a Forum section, to keep track of various brewery stores, brew pubs, rare bar offerings and whatever else here escapes the clutches of pure monopolistic evil. The release schedules and special brewings are important news worth sharing.
In Beerum Veritas

pushkinwow

Post by pushkinwow »

Anyone care to grab me one of each and set up a trade? Send me a PM.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Sawdust City just tweeted that the bloody long dark voyage (raspberry LDVU) and Futhered Muzzy (a Belgian brown) just came off the line, so I assume they're available in bottles shortly.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

Chuck Key Barrel-Aged Holy Smoke at their retail store.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

squeaky wrote:Sawdust City just tweeted that the bloody long dark voyage (raspberry LDVU) and Futhered Muzzy (a Belgian brown) just came off the line, so I assume they're available in bottles shortly.
And where does one purchase these?

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

Beyond the Pale is releasing Bigamy IPA today.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

liamt07 wrote:
squeaky wrote:Sawdust City just tweeted that the bloody long dark voyage (raspberry LDVU) and Futhered Muzzy (a Belgian brown) just came off the line, so I assume they're available in bottles shortly.
And where does one purchase these?
Various pubs and bars, I assume. I've occasionally had luck chatting up beer reps to get my hands on bottles that they can't legally sell you.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

squeaky wrote:I've always thought it would be good to have a thread just for talking about new releases coming from the breweries that aren't going to be in the LCBO or Beer store. Am I alone on this?

Anywho, Bellwoods is talking big about the new berliner weisses they're releasing on Thursday:
...the surprise that I can’t even be modest about because it blew my mind doors right off the hinges. Esteemed citizens of Toronto, I’m ridiculously excited to introduce you to the 2 beers that have sky-rocketed to the top of our favourites (ever!) list: Warp & Weft, and Weft & Warp.

In the dead of winter last year we filled two sets of barrels, tequila and white wine, with a sour berliner as an experiment of sorts. Unsure of how the flavours would mingle but excited to monitor the results, it wasn’t long before we realized that we had created something exceptional.

Warp & Weft is our tequila barrel-aged berliner weisse. Sour, citrusy, and taking on all the complex flavours of tequila without the harsh alcohol heat, this intense beer is strangely like a margarita. Subtle flavours of aloe, grapefruit, lime juice and salt vie for a background role.

Weft & Warp is our white wine barrel-aged berliner weisse. Sour, with a bright floral bouquet and intense peach flavours not unlike those present in a Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay, this version too has taken on a lot of barrel characteristics. A great foil for the tequila barrel version.

In our humblest, down home opinions, these two beers are every conceivable metaphor you could make about home runs.
I'm a little excited. We don't get many Berliners in Ontario.
Only 300 of each available. I wonder what the demand will be like for expensive Berliners? I don't know they're expensive, but most of the bellwoods special releases are, especially the ones that spend time in barrels.

Lucky for me I got gift cards for Christmas!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Granite Hopping Mad

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2014/01 ... ming-soon/

anyone know where this is being brewed/canned? I doubt that Granite is canning this onsite

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

squeaky wrote:Only 300 of each available. I wonder what the demand will be like for expensive Berliners? I don't know they're expensive, but most of the bellwoods special releases are, especially the ones that spend time in barrels.
$9 each.

I got three. I wasn't the only one there at 11am.
lister

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

lister wrote:
squeaky wrote:Only 300 of each available. I wonder what the demand will be like for expensive Berliners? I don't know they're expensive, but most of the bellwoods special releases are, especially the ones that spend time in barrels.
$9 each.

I got three. I wasn't the only one there at 11am.
I was there around 11:30 and the guy who was checking out when I came in the door bought the limit of four of each. I've heard that these are some of the best Berliners that they've done, so I'm really looking forward to trying 'em!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I got 4 of each just now, but the place was totally empty. 9 bucks was cheaper than I was expecting, so I'm pretty happy.