Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

lister wrote:
boney wrote:Bummer. Bellwoods sold out of Warp and Weft (tequila) tonight, but still had lots of Weft and Warp (wine) left. Thought it would be the other way around.
Really? I figured the tequila one would be gone easily first. There have been lots of wine barrel-aged beers done and not very many, if at all, tequila ones done that I know of.
Agreed. The only tequila barrel aged beers that I have ever head (that I recall) are FW PNC & Mikkeller Black Hole (tequila barrel).

I hope we start to see more of them pop up.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Mikkeller's done a few. None have been all that great, but I'd wager the Bellwoods is pretty decent.

Your both right, though. Aging in tequila barrels is still pretty rare. But I wasn't speculating based on the novelty factor. Tequila character in beer can be pretty challenging, based on the very few I've had. I was just thinking wine barrel aging is a more known quantity and that might translate into sales. Good on GTA beer drinkers for being so open minded.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I have a bottle of the tequila I would trade for a bottle of the wine.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Amsterdam Brewing Co ‏@amsterdambeer Feb 1
Barrel Aged Barley Wine released today for a short time in our Retail Stores! Caramel flavours with a smooth finish. http://pic.twitter.com/ZD6pCwIwDv

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bellwoods bottle shop - Weft (wine) now not showing any weft, I mean any left. Ahh well this saves me a trip!
I might still hit Amsterdam if I can for the Barley Wine. Thanks Squeak.

* edit * The Amst store still have a few dozen of the Four Barrels Barley Wine up for grabs, it's 10% ABV and costs 9.95 for a 650ml, each hand-labeled. Good value!!

Worth saying nearby Leaside LCBO store is excellent, was able to cross some things off my list - Founders Porter (they had DB also), Fullers Vintage 2013 and a Chapoutier Cotes du Rhone wine for a solid three bucks off. Nice alternative to Summerhill so close to Amsterdam! Let's help both of them grow.
In Beerum Veritas

heebes

Post by heebes »

coming this spring from Black Oak

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Belgian wrote: Worth saying nearby Leaside LCBO store is excellent, was able to cross some things off my list - Founders Porter (they had DB also), Fullers Vintage 2013 and a Chapoutier Cotes du Rhone wine for a solid three bucks off. Nice alternative to Summerhill so close to Amsterdam! Let's help both of them grow.
Yeah, that has quickly become my favourite LCBO and, as you say, makes a nice one-two punch with Amsterdam just around the corner.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Belgian wrote: Worth saying nearby Leaside LCBO store is excellent, was able to cross some things off my list - Founders Porter (they had DB also), Fullers Vintage 2013 and a Chapoutier Cotes du Rhone wine for a solid three bucks off. Nice alternative to Summerhill so close to Amsterdam! Let's help both of them grow.
so far, the beer flow into Leaside is strange. it never is the first to receive anything. and i feel like things get lost in their back room. Backwoods Bastard came out a good month or so after the rest of their Founders' stuff. They didn't get any Goudeband.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

atomeyes wrote:
so far, the beer flow into Leaside is strange. it never is the first to receive anything. and i feel like things get lost in their back room. Backwoods Bastard came out a good month or so after the rest of their Founders' stuff. They didn't get any Goudeband.
Perhaps there is some back room dealing. People getting their employee friends to hold onto stuff?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

ercousin wrote:Perhaps there is some back room dealing. People getting their employee friends to hold onto stuff?
I'd bring that possibility to the attention of the store manager.
lister

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

ercousin wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
Perhaps there is some back room dealing. People getting their employee friends to hold onto stuff?
I know for a fact you can get things held onto for you at several LCBOs, which doesn't bother me in the least. Why shouldn't a beer manager look out for regular customers to a reasonable limit?

That wouldn't explain entire releases being held back for a month though.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

There's a rum barrel aged Mad Tom on the way.

I'm skeptical, but we'll have to wait and see.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

squeaky wrote:There's a rum barrel aged Mad Tom on the way.

I assumed this would just be sold in their retail store and not the LCBO. I may be wrong though...

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:

I assumed this would just be sold in their retail store and not the LCBO. I may be wrong though...
Check out the name of this thread... :wink:

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

GregClow wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:

Check out the name of this thread... :wink:
LOL, I guess my lack of sleep over the past month is really starting to show :)