Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I support those pricey 500ml Bellwoods bottlings on principle, there's a PITA factor to barrel aging and I appreciate the quality results of some of their experiments (and aren't they taking some risks with each new one?) I also think the best barrel flavor extraction is just a one-time thing, in how well those tequila and 'white wine' flavors come across the first time the barrel is used for beer. Makes the bottling run of that batch special, if not very controllable.

Bellwoods does have some original ideas & I'll go by for one each. Germans would never BA a Berliner Weisse so it's a whole new canvas for those barrel flavors.
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

groulxsome wrote: I was there around 11:30 and the guy who was checking out when I came in the door bought the limit of four of each. I've heard that these are some of the best Berliners that they've done, so I'm really looking forward to trying 'em!
I think I might have been that guy :)

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
groulxsome wrote: I was there around 11:30 and the guy who was checking out when I came in the door bought the limit of four of each. I've heard that these are some of the best Berliners that they've done, so I'm really looking forward to trying 'em!
Of course you were! :)

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Belgian wrote:I support those pricey 500ml Bellwoods bottlings on principle, there's a PITA factor to barrel aging and I appreciate the quality results of some of their experiments (and aren't they taking some risks with each new one?) I also think the best barrel flavor extraction is just a one-time thing, in how well those tequila and 'white wine' flavors come across the first time the barrel is used for beer. Makes the bottling run of that batch special, if not very controllable.

Bellwoods does have some original ideas & I'll go by for one each. Germans would never BA a Berliner Weisse so it's a whole new canvas for those barrel flavors.
Not only do they have a lot of innovative ideas, but so far I haven't been disappointed by any. I guess the Motley Cru a little, but that was mostly due to my sky-high expectations. It's pretty impressive how many crazy brews they've put out without any real stinkers.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

PeenSteen wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
groulxsome wrote: I was there around 11:30 and the guy who was checking out when I came in the door bought the limit of four of each.
Of course you were! :)
We really need a secret signal to ID other BarTowellers. (The idea of wearing an actual bar towel was struck down, alas...) (Not only because some people inappropriately assumed they could arrive places wearing JUST the towel - those things are really too small for adequate coverage.)
In Beerum Veritas

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Haha, it would be helpful if we had a better way of putting names/avatars to faces so such silliness didn't happen! Did you try to buy six of each? The guy in front of my had tried, in vain sadly, for six only to be rebuffed by the bottle limit.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

groulxsome wrote: Haha, it would be helpful if we had a better way of putting names/avatars to faces so such silliness didn't happen! Did you try to buy six of each? The guy in front of my had tried, in vain sadly, for six only to be rebuffed by the bottle limit.
Not me then. I only asked for 4 of each and then filled up the rest of the 12 bottle box with some Wizard Wolf and Stay Classy.

I would have been there right around 11:30 though. We probably just missed each other (not that we would have realized it if we had caught each other though). lol

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Wellington Brewery ‏@WellingtonBrew 22h
Next #WellyOneOff is Sputnik Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Russian Stout. Label by @blakestevenson. Avail Feb 8th! http://www.pic.twitter.com/sZB6YWQcLR

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

squeaky wrote:Wellington Brewery ‏@WellingtonBrew 22h
Next #WellyOneOff is Sputnik Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Russian Stout. Label by @blakestevenson. Avail Feb 8th! http://www.pic.twitter.com/sZB6YWQcLR
I'll be picking this up. I was really happy with their Frost Quake from January.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

So - how are they? Are either of them on tap at the bar?

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

A wrote:So - how are they? Are either of them on tap at the bar?
They have said they won't be on tap. They bottled (and bottle conditioned) the whole barrel of each, it seems (bottles say bottled on Jan 9th, so three weeks conditioning). So once these bottles are gone, they are gone until the next round of barrel aged Berliners.

As for how they are, I tried both side by side last night. Here is a link to my notes, though they are notes really for my memory more than for anyone else (not posted on BA/RB etc).

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Those are very good notes!

jprime

Post by jprime »

Any one have an extra of each for me?

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Bummer. Bellwoods sold out of Warp and Weft (tequila) tonight, but still had lots of Weft and Warp (wine) left. Thought it would be the other way around.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

boney wrote:Bummer. Bellwoods sold out of Warp and Weft (tequila) tonight, but still had lots of Weft and Warp (wine) left. Thought it would be the other way around.
Really? I figured the tequila one would be gone easily first. There have been lots of wine barrel-aged beers done and not very many, if at all, tequila ones done that I know of.
lister