Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Thoughts on local beers to take overseas for trade.

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Thoughts on local beers to take overseas for trade.

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Hey guys, long time reader; just recently joined.

I'm heading over to Scotland in a few weeks to the (very small)town where i grew up(until i was 10). I've just discovered that a nano-brewery has opened there, and got in contact with them saying i was looking forward to trying all of their stuff. I was thinking it would be a cool idea to bring over a bunch of local/ontario beer and spread the love. I've got a few things in mind to take, just looking for everyone's inspired suggestions!??

The brewery is called Tempest brewing, and they only sell in their own pub(The Cobbles) and a few kegs make it to Edinburgh and Glasgow, but that's about it. They seem to have some interesting things, a chipotle porter for instance.
Anyways, i've got a few bottles of Amsterdam Tempest in the basement, so figured that would be an obvious choice, due to the name. I was also thinking of Mill St. cobblestone, for the same reason, even though the beer is nothing special. Camerons RPA since I think it's maybe the best readily available ontario beer out there. The only other obvious choices were something from each of Wellington and F&M since I live in Guelph now.

Any suggestions welcome guys, thanks.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Get them something from Bellwoods or a Tank Ten beer from Great Lakes if you really want to showcase the best of what Ontario has to offer.

Also, I agree that your Tempest choice is a natural fit. Doesn't hurt that it is also a great beer!

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

I had Tempest ales at Blackfriars and Bon Accord in Glasgow this past summer. Didn't realize how lucky I was to have done so.

Any of the Welly one-offs would be good. You don't have to bring anything hard to get, though. Nickel Brook NN/Headstock would be good or Crazy Canuck (as much for the can as for the beer).

Alpha10

Post by Alpha10 »

I second GLB Tank Ten and Bellwoods. The imagination and quality of their lineups are second to none in Ontario.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Thanks guys.
I agree the Bellwoods, however the only two i have lying around are the Motley Cru and No sleep till Brooklyn. Don't really want to part with those, and i doubt I'll make it down to the brewery before i leave. The tank-ten series is a great idea, make sure to grab one of the Harry Porters if it makes it to Guelph. I like the crazy canuck idea as well. The last few Welly-one ofs have been 750ml bottles, hopefully the next one is back to can format, as i dont want to take too many bottles.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

So this is what I have so far:
Camerons RPA, Tempest,Harry Porter(although, reading the reviews, i'm not so sure about this one)Crazy Canuck,I'm going to grab a Wellington India Brown Ale when it comes out next friday. And thinking something from Unibroue, i know it's not local but they're really good.

Any other inspired ideas?

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

I think some muskoka detour would be neat to bring, a session ipa brought back to the land of session ales.