Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mediocre Beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

atomeyes wrote: are you talking about contract, brewpub or brewery?
and i sort of agree with you. sort of. but it isn't like an all-brett blonde is any different than a regular blonde.
A pitch of brett does cost a lot more than a pitch of sacch, so I would imagine a new brewery would want to make sure they have their shit together before they go down that road.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

PeenSteen wrote:Also, a couple pages back someone suggested TheSevenDuffs needs to drink more BA beers....that is like suggesting fish need more water, no joke he rolls deep in the whale game.
How did I miss that? Who said that? lol

I think that is my problem here. When I drink a bottle of Kentucky Bastard or Obsidian I am comparing to the likes of BCS, Parabola, BB Plead The Fifth, Eclipse, etc. So the bar is set very high in the first place. That being said, is that what we all do? We compare a new beer to the best of the style that we've had?

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

Mark,
Thanks for proving my point. You admit to knowing nothing about a brewery, I'm guessing based on geography you've never had their product, and yet, you're willing to publicly trash them as being gimmicky, based on reading reviews? Well done. This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about, in terms of people who over-rely on aggregate sites. Have you ever had Spearhead or Bush Pilot, or were those accusations based on reading too?

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

PeenSteen,
It was me who said that, though I think what I said was "if you think there aren't any good BA beers in Ontario, maybe you need to drink more." One of the problems with bartowel, is that with screen names, I rarely know who I'm talking too (not being a frequent user of the site).
C

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

chris_schryer wrote:PeenSteen,
It was me who said that, though I think what I said was "if you think there aren't any good BA beers in Ontario, maybe you need to drink more." One of the problems with bartowel, is that with screen names, I rarely know who I'm talking too (not being a frequent user of the site).
C
No worries, if that was the context. And, as you said, you have no clue who I am and what my palate has experienced over the years given that we've never met or spoken.

And your general point was a valid one in that I do think many BTers have yet to experience a world class beer in many styles living in this craft beer vacuum that is Ontario.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Since we're going by first names now (John by the way), I tend to agree with Mark.

I appreciate the effort our breweries are making to try and stay on the positive side of the innovation curve, but we still have a ways to go. We have made some big strides in recent years in finally having some better than decent ipas, stouts, etc. coming out of Ontario but many of our breweries seem have skipped a step and have gone straight to the brett, the barrel aging, and the fancy packaging in a 750 ml format with a 14 dollar price tag without ensuring their base beers are ready for such treatments.

Strictly my opinion as taste is subjective, though my BA socko would agree with me ;)
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

chris_schryer wrote:Mark,
Thanks for proving my point. You admit to knowing nothing about a brewery, I'm guessing based on geography you've never had their product, and yet, you're willing to publicly trash them as being gimmicky, based on reading reviews? Well done. This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about, in terms of people who over-rely on aggregate sites. Have you ever had Spearhead or Bush Pilot, or were those accusations based on reading too?
I have tried Spearhead, but I told you I dont try gimmick beers.

We can debate this all you want, but tell me why a person would bother to seek out these beers based on their background (contract), style (gimmick), experience, and ratings? I use the information i have at my disposal to form an opinion, i dont chase down every friggin beer on the planet hoping it will be awesome.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Belgian wrote: Some really great innovators like Mikkeller are 'gypsy' brewers. His Beer Geek Brunch 'Weasel' is - literally - the cat's ass. The motivation for renting & not owning the bricks-and-mortar facilty can be a very correct reason, like creative freedom with less financial pressure to compromise.
Sure, and I have also dumped a ton of Mikkeller beers down the drain because they are awful. To the point that i will no longer buy any of his product.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

sprague11 wrote:but many of our breweries seem have skipped a step and have gone straight to the brett, the barrel aging, and the fancy packaging in a 750 ml format with a 14 dollar price tag without ensuring their base beers are ready for such treatments.
Hit the nail right on the head.

I (and I know I'm not alone here) would rather have a sensational IPA/porter than some half-assed, muddled, janky brett + chardonnay barrel + yuzu & dragonfruit saison dry hopped with motueka and riwaka.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

liamt07 wrote:
sprague11 wrote:but many of our breweries seem have skipped a step and have gone straight to the brett, the barrel aging, and the fancy packaging in a 750 ml format with a 14 dollar price tag without ensuring their base beers are ready for such treatments.

I (and I know I'm not alone here) would rather have a sensational IPA/porter than some half-assed, muddled, janky brett + chardonnay barrel + yuzu & dragonfruit saison dry hopped with motueka and riwaka.
+2 to that.

In some cases (Cameron's comes to mind), they are barrel aging base beers that have never seen the light of day for them to even get feedback on. That's just crazy.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

liamt07 wrote:

it would be great if an ontario brewer could make an awesome porter and package it at a price where it can be a go to fridge beer. i dont know why every porter in the province has to have coffee, vanilla, smoke, maple or some other adjunct in it.

as someone said previously in this thread, google black butte recipe and brew that. we dont need $8 waxed dipped, 750's of 6%, adjunt porter

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

liamt07 wrote:

This sounds like it could be a really good beer. I may actually make this.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

matt7215 wrote: I (and I know I'm not alone here) would rather have a sensational IPA/porter than some half-assed, muddled, janky brett + chardonnay barrel + yuzu & dragonfruit saison dry hopped with motueka and riwaka.
I feel like this is where breweries like Kensington have succeeded. Make one beer that is good and sessionable, slowly expand your lineup after testing recipes at beer events.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

matt7215 wrote:
it would be great if an ontario brewer could make an awesome porter and package it at a price where it can be a go to fridge beer. i dont know why every porter in the province has to have coffee, vanilla, smoke, maple or some other adjunct.
It definitely exists - but only in the beer fridge at GLB. Harry Porter plain, in cans. Here's hoping it might see LCBO distribution.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

admviolin wrote: I feel like this is where breweries like Kensington have succeeded. Make one beer that is good and sessionable, slowly expand your lineup after testing recipes at beer events.
Oh yeah? Which beer is that? ;)