Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Craft Beer in the Federal Budget

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Craft Beer in the Federal Budget

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

It's a small tidbit of information but it could have a positive impact on the craft beer scene. Kind of funny how they use a Rickard's product as their example, but still very relevant to the long delays that we often see at the LCBO when new beers are introduced:

Taken from: http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/fun-fact ... -1.1681173

Beer

In a nod to the growing popularity of craft beers, the Harper government is pledging to “modernize the compositional standards for beer under the Food and Drug Regulations to reflect innovation in the industry.”

The budget document notes that the specific standards of composition for beer under the regulations don’t account for some “new styles” of craft beer on the market.

The government uses the launch of Rickard’s Cardigan Seasonal Spiced Lager” that was delayed because the ingredient list included nutmeg, calling into question whether the drink could be considered beer.

In addition to beer composition standards, the government says it will “develop a plan to modernize compositional standards for other foods and beverages.”

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Pretty sure craft brewers weren't paying any attention to this outdated regulation anyways...

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

markaberrant wrote:Pretty sure craft brewers weren't paying any attention to this outdated regulation anyways...
Agreed. But seemingly it caused delays getting new products to the shelves in the LCBO?

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

The optimist in me says that this is a good thing for brewers. Fewer snags when getting your beer to market through the LCBO.

The pessimist in me says that this was brought on by the big brewers whining about ingredient/allergen list requirements on their products. Having nutmeg in your beer shouldn't delay your product and doesn't make it any less "beer" than a product without nutmeg. My guess is that they (big brewers) are looking for any other ways they can obfuscate what is ACTUALLY in the beer.

Craft brewers are just not worried about having to list any "non beer" ingredients in their product. "You want to know everything that goes into the beer? Here you go: 2-row, crystal 110, victory malt, carafoam, American Ale yeast US-05, water, columbus hops, chinook hops, cascade hops, and nutmeg" I'm pretty sure the big brewers are not wanting to head in that direction.