Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

In what intersection should Toronto's next brew pub open?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Tapsucker wrote:
A wrote:
I honestly have no recollection of this place - and I lived in the Neighborhood for 10+ years!
Probably why it failed. Couldn't even register with a beer geek. :(

I think I recall Ron mentioning that was an effort for him to have a workplace closer to home. Maybe now that his kids are doing such a good job at head office he might be enticed to set up a hobby pub in the 'hood again. :wink:
As I mentioned in the article it was a response to the changing laws about brewpubs, which nobody took advantage of, since at the time we didn't have any brewpubs besides them. And now everyone is just a brewery-and-tied-house.

I'd think that if what people thought of as 'brewpubs' now (Indie, Bellwoods) could easily open up 2nd locations and be successful. But as they're breweries, I don't think they can w/o creating another brewhouse.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:the other problem with broadview and danforth is the lack of buildings that would size an adequate brewpub. if you're looking at 2000 sq ft as the bare bones minimum for a brewpub, then it becomes a challenge to find the space you need. even danforth between pape and coxwell...no buildings really fit that mold.

i was eyeing the garden centre kitty corner from the Only for a while. property was almost too big. also, opening up beside a mosque? not sure how cool that would have been, especially if one wants a patio.
I respect if many Muslims feel the rather nice benefits of alcohol are outweighed by potential harm & they avoid societal harm such as flaunting the temptation to alcoholics, enabling destructive behavior, etc. I think what the rest of us do is however of no controlling concern to them, living peacefully side-by-side.

I was curious what building (pre-exiting) would have been a good fit, either single store front or combined as The Only appear to have done.
In Beerum Veritas

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Tapsucker wrote:
TwoPint wrote: Be that as it may, I've walked that dicey stretch from Greenwood to Linsmore at night many times and have never had a problem.
The Linsmore Tavern would be a great conversion project.
Just don't think about touching the Eton House!!! :D

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

atomeyes wrote:
squeaky wrote:and that huge place that keeps having failed bars in it (the last one was called Legion or something?)
can't see how that could ever fail
Wow - that description is crazy. I can't believe even a quarter of those promises were actually kept. Not to mention it sounds like it might have been the douchiest place ever.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I've often had this thought - redo the Wheat Sheaf with a decent menu, good taps, and have Black Creek do their house beers. It'd be a good place to showcase Black Creek's one-offs. Complete with those great wooden casks they use!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

A wrote:
Just don't think about touching the Eton House!!! :D
considering that a) it has low-income housing above it and b) so much money would be needed to rip that bar apart and c) i have doubts that any charm or original finishings are hidden behind its disgusting 1970s design, then yeah, don't worry. the Eton House is safe.

the bar was for sale/lease a year ago. owner's an old coot and i'd imagine that he'd be a misery to work with.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

A wrote:Just don't think about touching the Eton House!!! :D
What, with an incendiary missile? :P
In Beerum Veritas

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

JeffPorter wrote:I've often had this thought - redo the Wheat Sheaf with a decent menu, good taps, and have Black Creek do their house beers. It'd be a good place to showcase Black Creek's one-offs. Complete with those great wooden casks they use!
The Wheat Sheaf is more or less defined by serving the popular beers of its time. Changing it into a theme pub actually negates its heritage.
saintjohnswort.ca

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

saints_gambit wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:I've often had this thought - redo the Wheat Sheaf with a decent menu, good taps, and have Black Creek do their house beers. It'd be a good place to showcase Black Creek's one-offs. Complete with those great wooden casks they use!
The Wheat Sheaf is more or less defined by serving the popular beers of its time. Changing it into a theme pub actually negates its heritage.
well, first there's the practical point of it becoming a brewpub: the cost is likely insane, it likely doesn't have the infrastructure, and it would likely involve tearing down old fixtures, which isn't cool.

but using your argument, negating heritage by pouring more cutting edge and relevant beer is not a negative.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

atomeyes wrote:
saints_gambit wrote:
well, first there's the practical point of it becoming a brewpub: the cost is likely insane, it likely doesn't have the infrastructure, and it would likely involve tearing down old fixtures, which isn't cool.

but using your argument, negating heritage by pouring more cutting edge and relevant beer is not a negative.
Look, man. It's about the last original Toronto beer landmark. We tear down everything. Let's just leave it alone until it inevitably gets purchased by condo developers and becomes The Sheaf starting at $269,999.
saintjohnswort.ca

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

How about the Dominion on Queen? That was an actual brewery property at one point. Plus, they have just metric ass-butts of space they aren't using well.
saintjohnswort.ca

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

saints_gambit wrote:Wheat Sheaf We tear down everything. Let's just leave it alone until it inevitably gets purchased by condo developers and becomes The Sheaf starting at $269,999.
So - what does a condo starting at $269,999 really cost right now since you dangle a preposterously 'affordable' price tag of $270k (may not include rapenance fees.) I can remember when a bachelor on Adelaide E went for < 70k... now that's less than the down pyt + transaction costs.
saints_gambit wrote:How about the Dominion on Queen? That was an actual brewery property at one point. Plus, they have just metric ass-butts of space they aren't using well.
Plus it's almost a place people might go in Corktown or from Leslievlle. I like. This area has sexy potential.
In Beerum Veritas

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Personally, I couldn't care less as to where the beer is actually brewed. I just want a better beer bar in Greektown.

It makes more sense to me to do all that space-consuming brewing on cheaper land than at a high-rent retail space.

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

saints_gambit wrote:Look, man. It's about the last original Toronto beer landmark. We tear down everything. Let's just leave it alone until it inevitably gets purchased by condo developers and becomes The Sheaf starting at $269,999.
$269,999? That would be a bargain relative to most Toronto prices. The Jilly's lofts will likely start at $800,000. ;)

As for Danforth east of Donlands - the home prices out this way are exploding. Still "cheap" relative to west end or other trendy spots, but bidding wars on pretty much everything, with sales in < a week at 15% over asking in most cases.