Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Tax Increse?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Publican

Beer Tax Increse?

Post by Publican »

I wonder if any Bar Toweler or brewer knows if the beer tax rate has increase recently. I asked this as I went into two of my local pubs and they said it has. The cost with tax of a pint of Sawdust City Lone Pine IPA cost me $8.38. To me this seems excessive and if what these two pubs told me about the tax increase is true I will have to have not as many pints as I would like.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

First I've heard of this...thought it would've been all over the news??

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Liberals have to pay for the gas plant fiasco somehow. Both package and draught went up. Not much -- our cans and 6packs went up a nickel each. Draught is being updated.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

There was a small increase in the tax rate, Mom n Hops had an article showing the new rates, but you needed to look at the previous years to see how much it had gone up

2013-14 http://www.momandhops.ca/adjusted-ontar ... 2013-2014/

2014-15 http://www.momandhops.ca/updated-ontari ... 2014-2015/
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Publican

Post by Publican »

I checked out the Feather's website where they list the prices of thier draught beers. Beers that I would like to drink are priced at $6 before tax so I assume that even with tax they would be cheaper than $8.38. Feathers is no where near me but I can get there for $6 return in TTC fare which is doable if I have a session of 3 to 4 pints. I will call the Feathers to confirm the prices are current.

Mike-KBCo

Post by Mike-KBCo »

There has been a very small increase, but AFAIK it's on the manufacturing side only. From our perspective it is not enough to raise our prices (draught) but we've had to move our packaged up slightly. To be honest, this decision was made to accommodate more than just the tax increase. If your pint was slightly more one could assume that the brewery had raised their prices in a similar fashion.

Publican

Post by Publican »

Mike-KBCo wrote:There has been a very small increase, but AFAIK it's on the manufacturing side only. From our perspective it is not enough to raise our prices (draught) but we've had to move our packaged up slightly. To be honest, this decision was made to accommodate more than just the tax increase. If your pint was slightly more one could assume that the brewery had raised their prices in a similar fashion.
Perhaps that's what happened. I just want to be able to session drink at under $8 a pint because with tip it would be $10 or more per pint

Mike-KBCo

Post by Mike-KBCo »

Publican wrote:
Mike-KBCo wrote:There has been a very small increase, but AFAIK it's on the manufacturing side only. From our perspective it is not enough to raise our prices (draught) but we've had to move our packaged up slightly. To be honest, this decision was made to accommodate more than just the tax increase. If your pint was slightly more one could assume that the brewery had raised their prices in a similar fashion.
Perhaps that's what happened. I just want to be able to session drink at under $8 a pint because with tip it would be $10 or more per pint
I hear you. A light snack and 2-3 pints can easily set you back $40 if you're not careful. I usually keep my "sessions" to places with known specials, such as Bar Hop on Sunday or Wvrst on Monday. Plug alert: Handle Bar, Thirsty & Miserable and Emmet Ray all have $5 specials on KBCo cans if that's your thing. Cheers.

Publican

Post by Publican »

Thanks Mike, I was at Bar Hop a few Sunday's ago and took advantage of their $5 pint special. I plan to go to the Only café one Sunday as they have $5 pints after 5 pm according to a Blog TO article dated Jan. 29. Hope they are still offering that deal. I believe that bars that offer cheaper draught beer on certain days will sell a lot of beer because more people will go and stay longer. Just wished that the two local pubs I frequent would do this. I do like KBC beers so I will check out Thirsty and Misreable some day