Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What cheese are you eating?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kish84
Bar Fly

What cheese are you eating?

Post by Kish84 »

I'm still new to "good cheese" and, as it pairs greatly with beer, thought it may deserve it's own post. I've had mostly hits so far, with one very bad miss.

The goods:
St. Agur Blue
Old Gouda
Pecorino al Tartufo
Testun Al Barolo (definitely the most expensive cheese I've purchased, this was $10/100g, and had pressed grapes on the outside that are used for Barolo wine)

The bad:
Esrom, this was a Danish cheese that was beyond vile in both aroma and taste. I couldn't even get through a sliver of it. J343MY, myself, and another friend ended up drunkenly throwing this off my balcony a couple weeks ago.

So what cheeses are you all eating, or what can you recommend? (Preferably cheese available in Ontario)
"There's always money in the banana stand."

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I like the hard cheeses. Beemster XO is one of my favourites. It's a gouda aged for 26 months. Our first introduction to Beemster was a six year old one at Splendido when David Lee was still at the helm. Oh man!

I'm so happy when I'm traveling as I can usually get reasonably priced cheeses compared to here. Thanks Ontario Dairy Board!
lister

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Nice topic, I have no idea about cheeses, but I will choose a cheese board at various beer bars now and then as they know what they're doing (I'd like to think)

Bull_Schott

Post by Bull_Schott »

St. Agur is definitely one of the best blue cheeses, period. Ossau-iraty is a good cheese, similar to a gouda/Swiss hybrid but that description doesn't do it justice. Highland Chief cheddar with Irish whisky is fantastic as well. I get these from Mickey McGuire's at St. Jacobs market, or Vincenzo's if I have to (seeing as OP is from Kitchener). Niagara Gold is tasty "local" cheese, somewhat dry and nutty.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

litser wrote:I'm so happy when I'm traveling as I can usually get reasonably priced cheeses compared to here. Screw you, Ontario Dairy Board!
^ FTFY.

From Lexington CoOpin Buffalo - Piave Vecchio, Old Quebec Unpasteurized Cheddar, Parma Reggiano snd Dubliner Cheddar. Yes the prices can be about half what they are here, so I could have loaded up and saved more.

All seem to go well with Orval. The ritual of cutting and arranging a snack board of cheese to nibble on is enjoyable, and I might also break out some kosher pickles and spicy Italian olives - after all what's wrong with more salt.
Last edited by Belgian on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

The good:
Pecorino Crotonese
Oka L"Artisan
Balderson aged cheddar

The bad:
Chimay à la Bière

I couldn't resist picking this up to pair with some Chimay beer one evening. It did not go over well with me or any of my friends. Its bitterness/sourness was overwhelming. Also it stunk so bad I had to read online reviews to convince myself it wasn't rotten. I double zip-lock bagged it and it still stunk up my fridge. Admittedly it was my first foray into the world of pungent, soft cheeses.

Chimay Poteaupré
Not as offensive as the above offering. More subdued. I would eat this one again, but it wasn't really my cup of tea.

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

In the UK last month I had stilton for the first time in about a decade. I've never tried it with beer but I think the combination would work well. My favourite is Gouda Garlic and Herb cheese from the Netherlands but it is the one Gouda I never see anymore.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Belgian wrote:
litser wrote:I'm so happy when I'm traveling as I can usually get reasonably priced cheeses compared to here. Screw you, Ontario Dairy Board!
^ FTFY.

From Lexington CoOpin Buffalo - Pecorino, Old Quebec Unpasteurized Cheddar, Parma Reggiano snd Dubliner Cheddar. Yes the prices can be about half what they are here, so I could have loaded up and saved more.

Cotija
Queso Fresco
Oaxaca

Surprisingly or maybe not, limits to the amount of cheese that can be brought in from the States, can you say "Marketing Board"?

Dairy products (e.g.: cheese, milk, yogurt, butter)
•up to 20 kilograms per person with a value of $20 or less

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/inform ... 8516990#a1

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

My wife and I try to do cheese and chacuterie at least a couple times a month. Standy cheeses are:
Sauvagine
Cendrillon
Beau's Abbey Style

and then throw in a couple others of whatever our cheese lady recommends. Can't say I've ever actually had beer instead of wine for these evenings.

Mario D'Eer did a really great pairing seminar at the Ottawa Food and Wine show last year, wish I could remember everything.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:
^ FTFY.

From Lexington CoOpin Buffalo - Pecorino, Old Quebec Unpasteurized Cheddar, Parma Reggiano snd Dubliner Cheddar. Yes the prices can be about half what they are here, so I could have loaded up and saved more.
I don't tend to bring food back with me. Last time we were in NYC we wandered into a grocery store while killing time. I spotted a stupidly cheap big block of Beemster XO, snatched it up and ate it outside while walking to our destination.

In Italy during our drive through there, we picked up a whack of prosciutto and BIG block of parmesan cheap. It was so ridiculous the price difference.
lister

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

lister wrote:I don't tend to bring food back with me. Last time we were in NYC we wandered into a grocery store while killing time. I spotted a stupidly cheap big block of Beemster XO, snatched it up and ate it outside while walking to our destination.

In Italy during our drive through there, we picked up a whack of prosciutto and BIG block of parmesan cheap. It was so ridiculous the price difference.
Ontario's quality of life would increase tenfold if we had access to $1 balls of mozarella.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Did a small cheese tray tonight with Woodcock farms Cloud nine camambert, old quebec and cabot clothbound.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bytowner wrote:Ontario's quality of life would increase tenfold if we had access to $1 balls of mozarella.
Yeah. If our quality of life was priority then Ontario would be different in a lot of ways.

I'll enjoy my stay in Germany spoiled by a never-ending selection of international cheeses, all the real deal (no junk brands) and so reasonably priced you can just shrug and try a bunch of new ones that look good.
Oh and there's also good-tasting Bordeaux wines and Spanish reds for two or three Euros, I can't explain that one either... endless topic really.
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

It's quite easy to explain - Massive public subsidies to farmers.

Here in Canada the effect of various marketing boards and quotas, with high import tariffs on similar products means the farmers earn a similar amount to the European and American farmers, while governments can claim to be fiscally responsible
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

I love Beemster.. one of my favourite by far.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"