Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Blue Jays vs. Steam Whistle

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Blue Jays vs. Steam Whistle

Post by tuqueboy »

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

No comment from Blue Jays or the Rogers Centre folks?

P.S. yesterday from Stone. Sigh.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I definitely drink a lot less at Jays games compared to years ago. Partly price, but mostly quality. Hoegaarden has been my go-to beer, but it is a hassle to walk all the way to the 100 level spot where they have it (just as finding the Steamwhistle was).

Anyone know what beer they serve at the Renaissance hotel restaurant with the seats overlooking the field, these days? Anything decent there?

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

El Pinguino wrote:I definitely drink a lot less at Jays games compared to years ago. Partly price, but mostly quality. Hoegaarden has been my go-to beer, but it is a hassle to walk all the way to the 100 level spot where they have it (just as finding the Steamwhistle was).

Anyone know what beer they serve at the Renaissance hotel restaurant with the seats overlooking the field, these days? Anything decent there?
The Renaissance has a decent selection. I cannot remember what all they had last time I went. It was not stellar but it was head and shoulders above the rest of the park. Same prices and a decent view. You actually don't even have to buy a ticket for the game to sit in the big window and enjoy the game with a good beer in a comfy seat.

I never buy a bear in the park ( except for at the Renaissance ). It is a combination of price and selection. I would pay the infalted price for something I want to drink but I will not pay that much for a lousy beer.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Should I mention that my Detroit Tigers have a craft beer bar in Comerica Park? Lots of taps. All MI beer. Same price as Bud Light, except the glass is a bit smaller. Awesome stuff.

Last summer they had special stuff on Fridays (firkins of Black Note, etc).
Crazy!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Ya, I enjoyed a few good craft beers at Comerica last year FEUO! That craft beer spot was really hidden away though, if I hadn't been with a local it would've taken time to find!

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Cass wrote:P.S. yesterday from Stone. Sigh.

This is a telling picture. Think about it for a minute. Awesome beer, summer like weather and there are OPEN seats at the bar!?!? Tells you something about craft beer still being a small fraction of the market. I bet there is a Coors Light tap at Petco where they are lined up 6 deep. :-(

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

NRman wrote:

This is a telling picture. Think about it for a minute. Awesome beer, summer like weather and there are OPEN seats at the bar!?!?
Hard to draw conclusions on a picture without any context. For all you know that was taken 5 minutes after the stadium opened...

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
NRman wrote:

This is a telling picture. Think about it for a minute. Awesome beer, summer like weather and there are OPEN seats at the bar!?!?
Hard to draw conclusions on a picture without any context. For all you know that was taken 5 minutes after the stadium opened...
Or, during a game when people would be in their seats?

I think you have to reach pretty far to turn this picture into a bad news story in the craft beer world.

I'll be there for a couple of games next month!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

rejtable wrote:
I am jealous! Make sure you report back on the experience.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
rejtable wrote:
I am jealous! Make sure you report back on the experience.
For sure.

Back to the picture for a second, was at a Nats game last summer and before the game the craft beer place in the stadium (Red Roof?) was jammed, but during the game it pretty much looked exactly like that picture. Some people milling about, but you could pretty much always walk up to the bar and order a beer.

aofe

Post by aofe »

Kind of sad that the Buffalo Bisons (the Jays farm team) is increasing their craft beer selection and promoting it as well.

Scroll down to near the bottom:

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ym ... 2&sid=t422

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

aofe wrote:Kind of sad that the Buffalo Bisons (the Jays farm team) is increasing their craft beer selection and promoting it as well.

Scroll down to near the bottom:

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ym ... 2&sid=t422
You can't have that stuff at a ball park!! It's....it's.....it's just not right.
8)

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Saw another fun one, from Anchor. Actually a year old but only found it today.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

This week's NOW weighs in on the disappearance of Steam Whistle from the Rogers Centre.