Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Does craft beer have a quality problem?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ercousin

Does craft beer have a quality problem?

Post by ercousin »

I know we've had a few discussions here recently about craft beer quality but it was a major focus at this year's CBC so I thought I would share this article and maybe spark some debate/discussion.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/beer/2014/0 ... lem/13432/

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

I'm not sure if this adds anything to this conversation, but I can attest to that fact that the worst beer(s) I've ever had have been made by "craft breweries."

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Yes, and a problem of too many very high ABV beers.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Amen for quality control. With the craft explosion there has been an equal explosion in off flavours. More time mastering the basics and obsessing about technique, consistency and cleaning instead of inventing new beers styles, sourcing rare ingredients and making ridiculous beers would benefit everyone......the new startups and even the occasional established brewers who should know better.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

See Trafalgar.
lister

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

by definition, Laker's a craft beer, isn't it?

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Even if we don't care for their product, you gotta admit that the big guys have a real talent for making each and every bottle and keg exactly like every other one with no variation or gushers. If your first foray into craft was a Trafalgar, or any of the other beers that have been described here as drain pours, it would probably have been your last. You may not even realize if something was off, just that you didn't like it and go back to your tried and true.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

sprague11 wrote:Image
+1

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

toweringpine wrote:Even if we don't care for their product, you gotta admit that the big guys have a real talent for making each and every bottle and keg exactly like every other one with no variation or gushers. If your first foray into craft was a Trafalgar, or any of the other beers that have been described here as drain pours, it would probably have been your last. You may not even realize if something was off, just that you didn't like it and go back to your tried and true.
Hear hear!

Ironically BMC (Bud Miller Coors etc.) beers are the most advanced and technically difficult beers there are. It is much easier to make a beer full of flavour like an IPA or Imperial Stout because there are prominent flavours to hide any defects/off-flavours that may exist. BMC beers don't have that luxury. It takes real skill and advanced brewing science to consistently produce such a flavourless product from agricultural sources that are constantly changing. They certainly aren't my drink of choice but I can appreciate the level of difficulty in what they do.

Mitch Steele (legendary brewmaster of Stone) had his start at Anheuser Busch.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The quality problem is often low quality or just mediocrity, just being 'OK but what's the actual point of this.' TONS of that in the USA, too if you go shelf hunting for random micro brews.

Brewers like Stone and even Sierra Nevada have a point, and have high quality. SN is awful big too. Dogfish Head got somewhat bigger, and ceased having a point not because of scale but because of embracing mediocrity.

Being a small brewer doesn't make your beer interesting or even that good, unfortunately.
In Beerum Veritas

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Belgian wrote:The quality problem is often low quality or just mediocrity, just being 'OK but what's the actual point of this.' TONS of that in the USA, too if you go shelf hunting for random micro brews.

Brewers like Stone and even Sierra Nevada have a point, and have high quality. SN is awful big too. Dogfish Head got somewhat bigger, and ceased having a point not because of scale but because of embracing mediocrity.

Being a small brewer doesn't make your beer interesting or even that good, unfortunately.
Been talking with lots of people the last few days, and hearing very similar thoughts.

If brewing consistently outstanding beer was easy, everyone would be doing it.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

"What's the point of this?"

That's now something I'm publicly cautioning people on. I saw someone post a can design today as their first tweet. Can said "Lager Beer" on it.

Worry about what's in the can, Ignatz! What kind of schmuck cares about the visual quality of the graphics before worrying about what goes in the packaging? The kind who's going to lose the business nine months in and beg for cash on kickstarter.
saintjohnswort.ca

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

What kind of schmuck cares about the visual quality of the graphics before worrying about what goes in the packaging?
-- saints_gambit

Reminds me of a time back in the late 80's being in a high school rock n' roll band -- we had a great name and logo design... even ideas what our first album cover would look like. Pretty sure we did more dreaming of cover ideas than practicing and making good music. :wink:

Q: Could craft beer creation be the next outlet for those that used to be in high school garage bands?

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Frere Ambroise wrote: Q: Could craft beer creation be the next outlet for those that used to be in high school garage bands?
If you're the Sam Roberts Band, then yes.

http://bit.ly/1eu78yT