Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ontario election discussions

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

this year, every vote may actually mean something (except in my riding, natch).

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/progress ... -1.1857196

Polls show a tie among the conservatives and liberals. doesn't really do much in explaining who will win the election, since, duh, the poll isn't based on regional polling.
Among the 56 per cent of Ontarians who say “nothing short of an unforeseen emergency” could stop them from casting their ballot, the PCs hold a hefty eight-point lead over the Liberals, who appear to be faltering slightly among likely voters. The number of undecided likely voters is also shrinking as election day approaches.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

this year, every vote may actually mean something (except in my riding, natch).

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/progress ... -1.1857196

Polls show a tie among the conservatives and liberals. doesn't really do much in explaining who will win the election, since, duh, the poll isn't based on regional polling.
Among the 56 per cent of Ontarians who say “nothing short of an unforeseen emergency” could stop them from casting their ballot, the PCs hold a hefty eight-point lead over the Liberals, who appear to be faltering slightly among likely voters. The number of undecided likely voters is also shrinking as election day approaches.
Meanwhile, in the waning days of the campaign, 33 per cent of Ontarians say they are voting for a particular party in an effort to prevent another party from forming government. The poll found that 43 per cent of Liberals voters say that they’re trying to stop another party from winning, which suggests some are rallying around the Liberals in an attempt to stave off the PCs.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I live in that rare 905 riding which has an NDP incumbant (Jagmeet Singh). Dispite my frustration with Horvath, I quite like this young man and frankly believe he may lead the party someday. He's a bit of a rock star in Brampton, and he won over the PC candidate the last election by getting the out the youth vote - crazy as that sounds.

Also - he's got fabulous bespoke suits, and I may vote for anyone who has the style that he has.

It's weird (but kind of nice) to see a battle between a PC and NDP candidate. I tend to vote left, but have an appreciation for both parties, as neither seemed entirely (at least) motivated by just staying in power.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I live in that rare 905 riding which has an NDP incumbant (Jagmeet Singh). Dispite my frustration with Horvath, I quite like this young man and frankly believe he may lead the party someday. He's a bit of a rock star in Brampton, and he won over the PC candidate the last election by getting the out the youth vote - crazy as that sounds.

Also - he's got fabulous bespoke suits, and I may vote for anyone who has the style that he has.

It's weird (but kind of nice) to see a battle between a PC and NDP candidate. I tend to vote left, but have an appreciation for both parties, as neither seemed entirely (at least) motivated by just staying in power.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

On Beer Store and political financing:
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=198131
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

If the Liberals aren't reduced to third party status tomorrow it'll simply confirm that Ontarians are morons.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:If the Liberals aren't reduced to third party status tomorrow it'll simply confirm that Ontarians are morons.
You could say the very same thing about voting in a guy with a jobs plan like Hudak's.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

squeaky wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:If the Liberals aren't reduced to third party status tomorrow it'll simply confirm that Ontarians are morons.
You could say the very same thing about voting in a guy with a jobs plan like Hudak's.
Considering the Fiberals will be making the exact same cuts if they win I'll take the guy who's at least not lying about his plan.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:
squeaky wrote:
Considering the Fiberals will be making the exact same cuts if they win I'll take the guy who's at least not lying about his plan.
Lol, what?

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-0 ... arris.html

Facts are stubborn things.

Anyone that would vote Liberal today is a moron, plain and simple. It's a party that's proven itself utterly corrupt and incapable of ethically governing while simultaneously being bereft of any semblance of fiscal responsibility.

If they win today it'll be thanks to the same city that elected Rob Ford as its mayor.

Any left leaning individual that would choose the Liberals over the NDP today should get their head examined.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-0 ... arris.html

Facts are stubborn things.

Anyone that would vote Liberal today is a moron, plain and simple. It's a party that's proven itself utterly corrupt and incapable of ethically governing while simultaneously being bereft of any semblance of fiscal responsibility.

If they win today it'll be thanks to the same city that elected Rob Ford as its mayor.

Any left leaning individual that would choose the Liberals over the NDP today should get their head examined.
That article clearly states that the "cuts" Wynne is proposing a) aren't actually cuts, they're freezes and b) are both smaller and completely different from the ones Hudak is proposing. It also very clearly makes the point that Wynne's "cuts" are highly unlikely to materialize as proposed, because they're all deferred to future budgets.

Also, the cuts they're talking about here have absolutely nothing to do with the jobs plan I was talking about.

The NDP largely ran to the right of the Liberals this time around. Any sane left-leaning individual in this election should be strategically voting to keep Hudak out of power while cursing how awful their choices are this year.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

squeaky wrote:
That article clearly states that the "cuts" Wynne is proposing a) aren't actually cuts, they're freezes and b) are both smaller and completely different from the ones Hudak is proposing. It also very clearly makes the point that Wynne's "cuts" are highly unlikely to materialize as proposed, because they're all deferred to future budgets.

Also, the cuts they're talking about here have absolutely nothing to do with the jobs plan I was talking about.

The NDP largely ran to the right of the Liberals this time around. Any sane left-leaning individual in this election should be strategically voting to keep Hudak out of power while cursing how awful their choices are this year.
Cuts, freezes. Semantics. They have the same effect. Reduced service for the public and outraged public service unions. A Liberal majority would most assuredly see them materialize.

Most of Hudak's job "cuts" will be through attrition. It's not like 100,000 people will be given pink slips. However his campaign has done a piss poor job of actually getting that message out.

Yes, the NDP did run to the right of the Liberals this year, which is nice to see. If the NDP ever wants to be elected they're going to have to pull their party a little closer to the centre, something Mulcair is doing on the Federal level.

Can't disagree that we have awful choices, but Ontario has the politicians it deserves when only 49.2% of people show up at the polls.

Lastly, I have no time for strategic voting. We're not picking horses. People should vote for the party that most closely resembles their political beliefs. We also need proportional representation ASAP.

I still haven't decided who I'll be voting for. Don't have to decide until I make my way to the polls at 6:00 p.m. I do know that it will be NDP or PC.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Lastly, I have no time for strategic voting. We're not picking horses. People should vote for the party that most closely resembles their political beliefs. We also need proportional representation ASAP.

I still haven't decided who I'll be voting for. Don't have to decide until I make my way to the polls at 6:00 p.m. I do know that it will be NDP or PC.
With the NDP winning my riding no contest (Trinity Spadina) my vote means nothing. I haven't voted in any of the last decade elections. I suspect it'll be yet another game time decision if that streak will continue.

I actually read the Green Party handout from my candidate. I agreed with everything there except the closing of the island airport. Their reasoning was due to the eventual rail link to Pearson that the island airport is no longer needed. Bullshit. I still hate Pearson. I'm in favour of the island airport expansion for jets. I'd love to take Porter North America and Caribbean wide.

Maybe I'll vote for the Libertarian candidate so I can remark "Hey I'm one of 207 people that voted for him!"
lister

nickw

Post by nickw »

I'm in Trinity Spadina too, and I'm not so sure that it'll be a no-contest NDP win. Marchese's margin of victory has dropped in each consecutive election since 1999, down to just over 1000 in 2011. With even more condo development in the southern part of the riding and in Liberty Village (people who tend to vote quite strongly Liberal -- individual poll-level results from 2011 here: http://globalnews.ca/news/1353402/ontar ... na-riding/), and a sense that a strategic vote for the Liberals will keep the PCs out of power, I can see this one being very, very close. Your vote might actually count!