Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

big rig brewery expanding?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

big rig brewery expanding?

Post by spinrsx »

came across this:

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

But does it even matter? The beer stinks.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Agreed with Liam, but Kanata-ish...I'll likely stop in every now and then. I'm down to try a seasonal from them every now and then.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

From what I know, it will be a production facility. No food. Pumping beer into the LCBO.

I've also heard rumours that Phillips has purchased a location downtown for a second restaurant.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

liamt07 wrote:But does it even matter? The beer stinks.
I don't know I think they have had some pretty solid offerings. Their ESB is pretty good, and I really liked the Iron Arse charity beer they made for the ride for dad event. Their Raspberry ale was nice too. What I do appreciate is that they actually try new things, that a lot of breweries aren't. I was there on Sunday for brunch and their seasonals included a Dubbel, a Black IPA, a chocolate milk stout and a session IPA. And that was on top of their standard offerings.

Considering the fact that with Chris Phillips's name recognition they could have just been a standard sports bar and have been pretty successful, this kind of thing always impresses me. I mean how many other brew pubs make a dubbel?

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
I don't know I think they have had some pretty solid offerings. Their ESB is pretty good, and I really liked the Iron Arse charity beer they made for the ride for dad event. Their Raspberry ale was nice too. What I do appreciate is that they actually try new things, that a lot of breweries aren't. I was there on Sunday for brunch and their seasonals included a Dubbel, a Black IPA, a chocolate milk stout and a session IPA. And that was on top of their standard offerings.
Agreed. Enjoyed their hopfen weizen in particular. The beer does not, generally, stink.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

pushkinwow

Post by pushkinwow »

Bytowner wrote:
Kel Varnsen wrote:
Agreed. Enjoyed their hopfen weizen in particular. The beer does not, generally, stink.
Second that - any new place that promotes craft beer, puts out some solid offerings, and is willing to try new things is worthwhile. It raises the profile of all good beer, and may encourage people to try things they wouldn't otherwise even buy.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Have you been to Ottawa to try their seasonal? I imagine they could say the same about several Toronto breweries that only send flagship beers to Ottawa...

I haven't really seen any Big Rig beer around Toronto lately.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

The beer is completely solid. It is not always exciting, but it is brewed solidly to style and it's quality. The IPA is really good.
saintjohnswort.ca

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

No matter what you say, Lon's German styles are spot on. Hefe and Hopfenweisse are bang on.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Seems they've sold to a Quebec company looking to expand Nationwide.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/o ... -1.5170120