Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Real IPA's

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Hi, I'm Perry Mason (ya, that is my real name) and I was wondering if all the hop heads were serious when they asked for a "real" IPA. An honest to goodness, 6%+ alcohol, 55+IBU India Pale Ale. Please let me know if there is a demand for this. I love this type of ale, and I am considering adding one in the spring of 2002, to replace Black Irish Porter for the summer months. If I make one, it will be as traditional as possible, so if you really want it, I'll make it. In the meantime, the Bier Markt has Session Ale...and I hope Smokeless Joe's might be convinced to try Black Irish Porter.
Cheers fellow hop heads!
Perry "I don't solve cases but I sell a few" Mason.
President and delivery guy,
Scotch Irish Brewing Company
"Every day above ground is a good one."

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

My prayers are being answered!!!!

YES! Please do a "real" IPA. Now our interpretations of real may differ, I'm an American vs. British IPA fan, but if it's 50+ IBU, 6%+ alcohol with a good hop nose and flavour balanced off with a malt backbone then you and I are definitely talking the same language.

As Cass and others will tell you I've frequently voiced my dissappointment with the lack of IPA in this province since I moved here from the West Coast last year. It's barely represented at the LCBO with only a couple of British style IPA's available and one lone American, Liberty. The Beer Store doesn't do much better with only the now defunct Dragon's Breath, St.Ambroise and the underwhelming Magnotta filling the IPA void for me. I think this market is ready for IPA if only a local brewer would take the plunge.

If you have tasted anything like the excellent Victory Hopdevil, of stuff from the West Coast like Bridgeport, Pike or FishTale IPA's then I'd suggest those are the type of IPA's to consider. Big, bold Cascade, Williamette or Chinook hops...I'm getting carried away...

I for one would HUGELY encourage you to proceed with a real IPA. You'll have a VERY steady customer in me, and I think many others, if you can bring a quality IPA to market.

Thanks for seeking our input!

Regards,
Jon Walker

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

I'd definitely interested in a big time IPA. Give me 65 IBUs, the 3 C's (cascade, centennial, chinook) and a good bit of malt to hold it all up. Something bursting with hop aroma. I could do that, no question.

Manul

Post by Manul »

Just brew it and have it sold at Bayview Village LCBO and possibly Queensquay LCBO and you'll make a lot of people happy.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Hi Perry,

As we chatted about yesterday at the Judge, I believe there is definite interest in Ontario for a real IPA. It is a tremendous void that I'm sure Scotch Irish can fill successfully!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cass on 2001-10-14 09:57 ]</font>

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

It was good to chat with you at the 'Judge last weekend. Bartowel is proving to be a very valuable insight into the wants of the beer educated.
I am always open to ideas about seasonal ales and comments on our existing line, Session, Black Irish Porter and Dry Hop Cask Bitter. I am currently working up my recipe for my spring/summer IPA. I have listened to the comments made here and by those I have spoken to in person and my IPA will reflect those comments.
Cheers and keep up the fine work

Publican

Post by Publican »

Perry, I just read your post about brewing a I.P.A to replace the portor in the summer months, I hope this dosen't replace the session Ale as I love this beer for its low alchol content and the British hops you use in it. While I like beers that are brewed with American Hops(ie Cascade, Chinnok) it is a nice change to have a pint of bitter that tastes like something I might have in England.
Cheers

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Hello Publican,
No worries about Session. This is our flagship beer, both on draught and in cask conditioned "Dry Hop" form. I will continue to brew it as our only regularly produced ale. Both Black Irish and IPA will be seasonals only.

Lyle

Post by Lyle »

In case anyone is interested...

We have just received a very limited shipment (5 cases) of Dogfish Head 90-Minute IPA at Premier. This is a 9% abv imperial IPA, with Cascades, Centennials, and Chinooks added as a single constant addition throughout the boil, and then dry-hopped as well!

This is a special limited bottling - 750ml corked champagne bottles. $5.29 US/bottle.

If anyone wants us to hold a bottle or two, send an email to our beer manager Doug Loughran - Buffalobeerdude@aol.com.

Cheers!
Lyle Ostrow
Premier Gourmet
3465 Delaware Avenue
Kenmore, NY 14217
tel:(716) 877-3574
email: premierbeer@adelphia.net

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks for the tip, Lyle, I've emailed Doug to hold a couple. I should be able to make it down before Christmas to pick up a bunch of the winter seasonals.