Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Big Rock's a coming...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Big Rock's a coming...

Post by Tapsucker »

Interesting. Now we should be able to get their one off beers.

http://www.thestar.com/business/economy ... tario.html
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

A good write up by Ben Johnson here

http://bensbeerblog.com/2014/08/13/big- ... s-ontario/
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Tapsucker wrote:Interesting. Now we should be able to get their one off beers.

You're not missing anything. At all! They may well have brewed close to 50 different beers last year, but their tasting panel need a smack around the head, as some of the stuff put out isn't very good, IMO (which probably counts for zero), and within the craft community, their releases just add to their reputation of being a bland, not very good brewery.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Torontoblue wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:Interesting. Now we should be able to get their one off beers.

You're not missing anything. At all! They may well have brewed close to 50 different beers last year, but their tasting panel need a smack around the head, as some of the stuff put out isn't very good, IMO (which probably counts for zero), and within the craft community, their releases just add to their reputation of being a bland, not very good brewery.
He's right. I've tasted many of the one offs and while I really respect them for trying, they don't compete in Ontario.
saintjohnswort.ca

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I think a lot will depend on the brewmaster and if they will be really given the freedom Mr. Sartor suggests they will in Ben's article.

I think there is a lot of great talent waiting to be unleashed in this province, and the financial wherewithal of Big Rock vs a start up may make it easier for a truly creative team to get some really good beers out there.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

I used to love Trad and Grasshopper back in the day when I was living in AB. They were probably the first craft(ish) beers I drank regularly. That being said, I'd still put Big Rock on about the same tier as Brick... sorta-passable beer at best, with plenty of mediocre stuff padding their portfolio.

Maybe this means we'll gain access to more than just their flagship stuff in ON, in which case I appreciate the added variety.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

If it means ssome mroe special brews making it our way...great stuff.
I can imagine the food and general ambiance of the Big Rock place being more welcoming than 3 brewers.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

But the past 18 months have seen the brewers released from the usual constraints, with Big Rock trying to catch up & take a part of the craft beer boom, but they have sadly failed. They've brewed some 'out there' stuff, but it's just not good.

Just check their ratings on the usual sites, and general reviews from bloggers.

Their one off stuff could be so much better. Being let off the leash hasn't moved BR forward at all!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Torontoblue wrote:But the past 18 months have seen the brewers released from the usual constraints, with Big Rock trying to catch up & take a part of the craft beer boom, but they have sadly failed. They've brewed some 'out there' stuff, but it's just not good.

Just check their ratings on the usual sites, and general reviews from bloggers.

Their one off stuff could be so much better. Being let off the leash hasn't moved BR forward at all!
That's with the brewer they have. It'll be a new guy in Toronto, so we really have no idea what he'll be putting out. Hopefully BR set him up with a quality facility and the means to produce good stuff, whoever it ends up being. It's really no different from hearing any other new brewpub is starting up, other than knowing it has ample financial backing.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

If they retain the house yeast, then nothing will change.

The brewer in Calgary even admitted that they need to change their yeast up a little, as it doesn't work with the one off styles their making.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I ran into Jon Walker this week at Brassneck (great place). He mentioned that Big Rock is opening a 'craft' brewery in Vancouver...

http://bigrockbeer.com/connect/press/20 ... ewmaster-0

Now I had heard they were returning to BC, but I thought it would be more of a big production facility. They actually still have a lot of taps here (I think they proliferated during the time they were brewing in Kamloops). If this spreads some better beer among those taps, it might be a good thing... but I have my doubts.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I just can't see how they are going to work in Vancouver, given the quality of locally produced ales available. They just not in the same ballpark!!!

Still, I guess they have to try juts to see how far behind the rest of the community they are.

Interesting that there's no expansion for their home of Alberta!!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Torontoblue wrote:I just can't see how they are going to work in Vancouver, given the quality of locally produced ales available. They just not in the same ballpark!!!

Still, I guess they have to try juts to see how far behind the rest of the community they are.

Well, if 3 Brewers can make it in Quebec...

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Torontoblue wrote:I just can't see how they are going to work in Vancouver, given the quality of locally produced ales available. They just not in the same ballpark!!!

Maybe they're starting to see some of their tap lines being taken over by local craft, or perhaps their BC liquor sales are decreasing? Their recent brewmasters select endeavor (or whatever they call it) certainly hasn't worked.

Maybe they'll have a better products coming out of the brewpub, I don't know. But having a brewpub anchoring them in craft sort of gives them a little more sense of legitimacy than Richard's wanna-be craft etc.

I know they were always sort of a craft brewer, but they were certainly operating like a big business (like Sleeman) and going for market share.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Derek wrote:I ran into Jon Walker this week at Brassneck (great place). .
Was just in Vancouver and wanted to get over to check out Brassneck, but didn't get a chance. :cry:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.