Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

WL Weller

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

WL Weller

Post by JeffPorter »

I've noticed this has been going fast and I am going to grab a bottle if I can. Just wondering from those who know more about it...I don't understand how it has such similarities to Pappy (about which I know nothing) but is so inexpensive.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

After checking...I see this is a bourbon...can't help ya there!

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

JeffPorter wrote:I've noticed this has been going fast and I am going to grab a bottle if I can. Just wondering from those who know more about it...I don't understand how it has such similarities to Pappy (about which I know nothing) but is so inexpensive.
I've really enjoyed the few bottles I've had and have a few more from this latest release. I know I likely won't try any of the elusive, expensive Pappy anytime soon. Until then I'm happy drinking the poor man's Pappy - though at $45 in Canada I'm hesitant to call it so. Anyway, here's an article about Pappy and the Weller connection. http://www.spotlighttoronto.com/history ... ans-pappy/

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

JeffPorter wrote:I've noticed this has been going fast and I am going to grab a bottle if I can. Just wondering from those who know more about it...I don't understand how it has such similarities to Pappy (about which I know nothing) but is so inexpensive.
It's the exact same mashbill distilled at the exact same distillery. Pappy Van Winkle is very good, even the stuff now distilled at Buffalo Trace, but it is ridiculously over-rated. "Pappy Van Winkle" is just a marketing gimmick. It's not a distillery.

The Weller 12 is good and you should definately pick up a bottle to try. However, it all comes down to personal preference as to what you like. I think it's okay....but as a wheated bourbon it's a bit softer. A bourbon with a higher rye content will be a bit more spicier. I actually prefer the Elijah Craig 12 to the Weller 12. Again, comes down to personal preference.

The best recent bourbon release in my opinion was the Four Roses Limited Edition 125 Small Batch a few months ago. This is one of the best bourbons I have ever had and the LCBO sold it for less than it retailed for in most of the States! It was a steal in my opinion. I picked up 5 bottles........and I wish I picked up more.........

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

BakaGaijin wrote:The best recent bourbon release in my opinion was the Four Roses Limited Edition 125 Small Batch a few months ago. This is one of the best bourbons I have ever had and the LCBO sold it for less than it retailed for in most of the States! It was a steal in my opinion. I picked up 5 bottles........and I wish I picked up more.........
This the one you speak of? http://foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/pr ... ber=256230

If so, there's still some out there, including right in Burlington.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:The best recent bourbon release in my opinion was the Four Roses Limited Edition 125 Small Batch a few months ago. This is one of the best bourbons I have ever had and the LCBO sold it for less than it retailed for in most of the States! It was a steal in my opinion. I picked up 5 bottles........and I wish I picked up more.........
This the one you speak of? http://foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/pr ... ber=256230

If so, there's still some out there, including right in Burlington.
No, that is the standard FRsmB. It is a good daily pour, but it's always available. Every year Four Roses releases a limited edition version of their Small Batch and their Single Barrel. These releases have now become highly anticipated, like the Van Winkle's and the BTAC. The good thing is the Four Roses Limited Edition releases have more bottles in the releases.....so they are easier to get. I think we got 600 bottles of the FRsmB125 in Ontario this year. It was gone in about a week and a half.

This is the FRsmB125:

http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/2013/1 ... he-year-2/

I have heard that the 2014 Limited Edition Single Barrel will be released at the LCBO in the Fall.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Its all about the nice wheat.... and its similar to pappy because barrels of weller become Pappy now that its done at Buffalo Trace. I got pictures from the rack house I could share if I figure out how to post pictures here...

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

And for what its worth, the only bottle of bourbon I've tried that is better than the wonderful dram of Heaven Hill 18yo I drank in Vegas is the Pappy 20yo. Worth the 99$ I paid for it in Syracuse in 2002... wish I would have bought more now that its rare as fuck and worth essentially the same as a brand new Mountain Bike.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Well I got one...and had a little nip out of it...wow...I think bourbon is my thing...maybe more so than scotch...although I'm pretty limited in my experience.

It's just got so much great vanilla and wood flavour and it's more drinkable than any scotch I've had. Dangerously drinkable.

So...another newb question...I know that most scotches are best served in a small whiskey or port glass or a small snifter, is the same true for bourbon? best to just sip it straight in a nice glass? It certainly doesn't seem to need much.

Man, it's so good, I almost wonder if I should grab another bottle...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

JeffPorter wrote:Well I got one...and had a little nip out of it...wow...I think bourbon is my thing...maybe more so than scotch...although I'm pretty limited in my experience.

It's just got so much great vanilla and wood flavour and it's more drinkable than any scotch I've had. Dangerously drinkable.

So...another newb question...I know that most scotches are best served in a small whiskey or port glass or a small snifter, is the same true for bourbon? best to just sip it straight in a nice glass? It certainly doesn't seem to need much.

Man, it's so good, I almost wonder if I should grab another bottle...
Drink it in a whiskey glass. Some people drink it over ice, some add a splash of water, others drink it straight. Comes down to personal preference. However, not all bourbons are equal. There is some bottom shelf stuff like Rebel Yell that is probably best consumed with mix.

If you like the WL12 grab some more. I suspect that it won't be back at the LCBO for a long time, if ever........and if it does come back it will probably be more expensive.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Bought a WL Weller and having my first sample now. Wow! Excellent. Jeff, thank you for the reco. My go to whiskey lately has been the Rittenhouse 100% Rye, which is the same price (coincidentally) and also very nice. Loving the Weller too.