Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Guinness Out (Two Brands)

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

New Guinness Out (Two Brands)

Post by G.M. Gillman »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... ewery.html

Sammy, you got more work cut out for you. :)

(Sam is the best tracker-downer of new beers I know).

Gary
Gary Gillman

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Its on the way depending the state

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

They clearly needed to do something to reinvigorate the brand. I'm glad they reached into their history book v.s. just giving us a Guinness Lime.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Tapsucker wrote:They clearly needed to do something to reinvigorate the brand. I'm glad they reached into their history book v.s. just giving us a Guinness Lime.
Well, it's not QUITE Guinness Lime - but at the same time they are releasing these historic style beers in the UK & Ireland, their newest product in the US is this...

A bit of a misjudgment if you ask me. If they really want to tap in to growing side of the American beer scene, those historic beers would be a perfect product for that.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Yes, interesting tactic.

There is nothing about "Guiness Blonde American Lager" that makes me say "I got to go get THAT".

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Hmm... a beer brand that build it's equity on being as distant from blonde and lager as you can get releases a blonde lager. Ballsy or stupid, I vote the latter.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Bobsy wrote:Hmm... a beer brand that build it's equity on being as distant from blonde and lager as you can get releases a blonde lager. Ballsy or stupid, I vote the latter.
I am strongly inclined to agree, especially given the existence and ubiquity of Harp Lager.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

The saddest thing about that is that Harp is actually a fairly decent pale lager. Better than any American or Euro lager I've ever tried.
GregClow wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:They clearly needed to do something to reinvigorate the brand. I'm glad they reached into their history book v.s. just giving us a Guinness Lime.
Well, it's not QUITE Guinness Lime - but at the same time they are releasing these historic style beers in the UK & Ireland, their newest product in the US is this...

A bit of a misjudgment if you ask me. If they really want to tap in to growing side of the American beer scene, those historic beers would be a perfect product for that.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

GregClow wrote:

Funny. After humping the Irish theme for so long, they are going for an "American Lager". At the very least I would have thought them to try and be consistent on exploiting the nationalism. What can you say? MBAs are idiots...
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I agree with St. Jeb, sad to say because a company with a history like this one must know how to make great beer but all the line extensions of recent years have been uninspiring, IMO. Even Guinness FES - still inexplicably unavailable in Ontario - is just okay, a more supercharged Extra Stout. If it was all all-malt as in the 1800's, hopped to a similar level as then and preferably bottle-conditioned it would be outstanding. As it is, it is certainly decent but hard to find even in the States.

The Black lager doesn't cut a swath IMO, too timid on palate.

The 200th anniversary draft stout was, IMO again, not so great, a little more burnt-tasting than regular Guinness.

I have hopes for the West Indies Porter based on BA and RB reviews. The other new stout, not so much...

Guinness really should take a page from how SAB Miller approaches Pilsner Urquell.
Gary Gillman

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I'm starting to think they should have gone the 'lime' route. That way we could just write them off and kill this thread. :roll:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.