Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Glasses

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

darmokandjalad wrote:Personally I've had better luck finding cool glasses at Goodwill than VV, but I suppose it depends on the location (and your own luck/timing, of course).
Just last week I found a Westmalle chalice at the Goodwill up the street from me. For only a buck, there was no way I could pass that up.
I like those WM chalices too, very chunky and Kingly.
Speak of that I just got a Pivovar Černá Hora pint glass for $2 in Leslieville, commemorating a 550 year anniversary celebration of a coronation feast of the 'King of the South'.
I liked the Gothic King George image.

Many prices seem a bit high at VV - wine glasses selling for more than new - but you can cherry-pick some nice deals and desirable items.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

darmokandjalad wrote:
Belgian wrote:Or why not go to Value Village when you walk by it, you always might find new-looking glasses in there people got in gift packs and never used.
The Goodwill is also worth a look. If you are looking for branded glassware on a budget, those two stores are places you will want to check on a regular basis. A lot of the LCBO giftpack glassware shows up there too, if you scour the shelves in the months after Christmas. Personally I've had better luck finding cool glasses at Goodwill than VV, but I suppose it depends on the location (and your own luck/timing, of course).

Just last week I found a Westmalle chalice at the Goodwill up the street from me. For only a buck, there was no way I could pass that up.

I actually got a really good score @ value village about 3 months back. Got a Leffe wine glass style goblet, a nice Afligem chalice and two Duvel glasses. All in excellent condition. One of the Duvel glasses had some grease build up on it, but easily removed witha couple vinegar washes. Leffe and afligen were 1$ a piece I think, the Duvel was being sold as a pair for 4$. TBH I've probably only used the Leffe and afligen glass once each, but I'm regularly using the Duvel for all types of beers

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I might have that same Affligem glass, I just cleaned it up the other day. Nicely-made early version, has a tall stem red lettering and gold rim.

A nice Maredsous goblet as well, one of the best as it has a shorter stem VS the longer stem version. I think only made one year?
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

I don't know if you have one in your area, but I've found quite a few at Value Village, ranging in price from $0.99 to $1.99. Unibroue, Sierra Nevada, and a few Belgian pieces are some I've picked up recently.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

As a side to this topic; anyone good some tips on how to get rid of the clouding on my glasses?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:As a side to this topic; anyone good some tips on how to get rid of the clouding on my glasses?
Tried vinegar? Baking soda? If doesn't work, Barkeeper's Friend.

Shit is a bit nasty but it's a good last-resort if you clean it off well with other stuff afterwards.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:As a side to this topic; anyone good some tips on how to get rid of the clouding on my glasses?

Shit is a bit nasty but it's a good last-resort if you clean it off well with other stuff afterwards.

I've tried the vinegar and no-go. Havnt tried baking soda I'll give it a shot, cheers. If not it's not a huge issue, the clouding is just in everyday pint glasses that are easy enough to come by(Samuel smith/OCB etc). I always wash the Duvel/Belgian chalice type glasses by hand for fear of the dishwasher fucking them up

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:

I've tried the vinegar and no-go. Havnt tried baking soda I'll give it a shot, cheers. If not it's not a huge issue, the clouding is just in everyday pint glasses that are easy enough to come by(Samuel smith/OCB etc). I always wash the Duvel/Belgian chalice type glasses by hand for fear of the dishwasher fucking them up