Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Debate: is Ontario's beer scene really bland?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Apart from sours, which are always going to be a niche item with a very small market share and therefore not really central to the argument IMO, what styles are we supposedly lacking from our local brewers in Ontario? I agree with Jordan and others that our brewing scene is healthy, much better than most U.S. states (have you been to South Carolina or Alabama or Mississippi lately?) but our distribution remains inadequate and unnecessary regulation is a big issue.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

midlife crisis wrote: what styles are we supposedly lacking from our local brewers in Ontario?
Porter
Belgian Strong Dark
Belgian Strong Golden
Belgian Dubbel, Triple, Quad
Barley Wine
American Strong Ales (Imperial Browns, Imperial Porter, Imperial Reds)
Biere De Garde
Doppelbock
Old Ale
Scotch Ale

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

midlife crisis wrote:what styles are we supposedly lacking from our local brewers in Ontario?
It'd be interesting if someone went through one of the lists of 'styles':
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php
http://www.brewersassociation.org/wp-co ... _FINAL.pdf
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/

...and listed regularly available (local) brews. For regular provincial distribution, I'd be very surprised if you got 25%. Including seasonal and brewery-only sales you'd certainly do a lot better... maybe even a passing grade!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

matt7215 wrote:
Porter GLB ROBUST, GLB PLAIN, GLB HARRY PORTER
Belgian Strong Dark
Belgian Strong Golden AUDREY HOPBURN, OAST HOUSE, FORKED RIVER
Belgian Dubbel, Triple, Quad BLOCK 3 DEAD NOW DUBBEL, FORKED RIVER BELGIAN DUBBEL
Barley Wine BUSH PILOT, FORKED RIVER VINDICATION, GRANITE, MILL STREET, AMSTERDAM ADVENTURE SERIES
American Strong Ales Imperial Browns, Imperial Porter CAMERONS OBSIDIAN, BEER ACADEMY BALTIC PORTER Imperial Reds ARCH DINNER JACKET O'RED, FLYING MONKEYS RED ON RED
Biere De Garde OAST HOUSE, GLB+AMSTERDAM EZRA
Doppelbock BARN DOOR MONSTER MASH, RAILWAY CITY SHAM BOCK, CAMERONS DEVIATOR
Old Ale GRANITE PECULIAR, MUSKOKA HARVEST, BEAU'S GILGAMESH, AMSTERDAM VICAR'S VICE
Scotch Ale HIGHLANDER
Just from what I have personally tried in past year. Others probably have more.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

midlife crisis wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Belgian Strong Dark
Belgian Dubbel, Triple, Quad BLOCK 3 DEAD NOW DUBBEL, FORKED RIVER BELGIAN DUBBEL
Barley Wine BUSH PILOT, FORKED RIVER VINDICATION, GRANITE, MILL STREET, AMSTERDAM ADVENTURE SERIES
American Strong Ales Imperial Browns, Imperial Porter CAMERONS OBSIDIAN, BEER ACADEMY BALTIC PORTER Imperial Reds ARCH DINNER JACKET O'RED, FLYING MONKEYS RED ON RED
Old Ale GRANITE PECULIAR, MUSKOKA HARVEST, BEAU'S GILGAMESH, AMSTERDAM VICAR'S VICE
Scotch Ale HIGHLANDER
you win, we have it great

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

midlife crisis wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Belgian Strong Dark
Scotch Ale HIGHLANDER
And how many of thse would you consider world class for their style?
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

matt7215 wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Belgian Strong Dark
Scotch Ale HIGHLANDER
i think i got beer shit AND heartburn after reading that list.

think that kind of proved my initial point.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

sprague11 wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Belgian Strong Dark
Scotch Ale HIGHLANDER
And how many of thse would you consider world class for their style?
Zero, give or take.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I didn't say any of them were world class. The point being made was that Ontario brewers are overlooking all sorts of desirable styles, which is patently false. Having said that, I did a head-to-head of GLB Robust Porter and Founders Porter when it was released here, and GLB was better IMO, to take one example.

Of course California has more "world class" beers than Ontario - it is the size of all of Canada. Michigan, New York, etc? I don't see it. We are at least now brewing beers that are solidly in the conversation. Not to mention the 30-ish states that Ontario easily outclasses.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

atomeyes wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
midlife crisis wrote: Just from what I have personally tried in past year. Others probably have more.
i think i got beer shit AND heartburn after reading that list.

I thought your original point was our beer is boring and lacked diversity, not that the quality wasn't up to snuff?

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

midlife crisis wrote: Of course California has more "world class" beers than Ontario - it is the size of all of Canada. Michigan, New York, etc? I don't see it. We are at least now brewing beers that are solidly in the conversation. Not to mention the 30-ish states that Ontario easily outclasses.
Not only is California the size of all of Canada, but you can drive from one end of the state to the other in around 12 hours. Just think about what that does for distribution. Imagine if any brewer in Ontario could deliver to the entire population of Canada in a day's worth of driving. You can't even get from one end of Ontario to the other in 12 hours.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
midlife crisis wrote: Of course California has more "world class" beers than Ontario - it is the size of all of Canada. Michigan, New York, etc? I don't see it. We are at least now brewing beers that are solidly in the conversation. Not to mention the 30-ish states that Ontario easily outclasses.
Not only is California the size of all of Canada, but you can drive from one end of the state to the other in around 12 hours. Just think about what that does for distribution. Imagine if any brewer in Ontario could deliver to the entire population of Canada in a day's worth of driving. You can't even get from one end of Ontario to the other in 12 hours.
You can get through all the parts where anyone lives in 12 hours. Apologies to anyone living in Sudbury or Thunder Bay.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Craig wrote: I thought your original point was our beer is boring and lacked diversity, not that the quality wasn't up to snuff?
idunno. it was a point that i either made or thought about making at some point.
i think.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:
atomeyes wrote: i think i got beer shit AND heartburn after reading that list.

I thought your original point was our beer is boring and lacked diversity, not that the quality wasn't up to snuff?
No, his point is that Ontario sucks and all our brewers should be flogged with rubber chickens but he doesn't want to move anyplace better.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:you win, we have it great
^ What I like with matt is the sarcasm is not something you have to read between the lines.
In Beerum Veritas