Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Goose Island 2014 BC series release buffalo

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

beerguykw wrote:Does anyone know how much a 24 of the Bourbon County series costs? Or at least a per bottle rate?
Just so you don't get your hopes up, there are exactly 0 shops that will sell you a 24 of BCBAnything. You'll be lucky to get a couple 4 packs of the std + any variants that might be coming.

Even if you could buy up a 24, it's kind of a dick move IMO. Spread the wealth and all that.

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

Well, for the 4 hour round trip, I'm not going to just get a four pack...
I only asked if they sold 24's so I had an idea of how they go about selling their product.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

beerguykw wrote:Well, for the 4 hour round trip, I'm not going to just get a four pack....
Of course it is possible you make the trip and get none. Don't set yourself up for disappointment...

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

Best case scenario you can get a 4 pack of regular and MAYBE a 4 pack of barley wine, a single small bottle of coffee, or a bomber of vanilla.

For that you need to be the first few people in line and hope that they get a bunch of cases of regular and some variants because if they only have a couple cases you're looking at single or double bottle limits of regular.

Watch premier's twitter for details because they might not even have any on Black Friday. Depending on what kind of limits they announce I'll see you in line! But I live 20 minutes away in the falls and won't even be wasting my time if it's only a one or two bottle limit.

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

I won't make trip for sure if I'm only coming back with 8 or so.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

yeah, it's pretty rough making the haul for a small amount like that, but 8 is a pretty good amount to enjoy over the winter months. plus, you can always load up on other great beers that premier stocks while you're there! i don't think i've ever left that place disappointed even when i've whiffed on limited releases.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

beerguykw wrote:I won't make trip for sure if I'm only coming back with 8 or so.
well you better stay home then. Premier and VBM will have hard limits. Consumers might not get it on release day, due to how their distro works. In fact, if I recall correctly, Premier didnt get it day-of last year either due to delays. (

Source:
- Went to premier on KBS release day, left with 2 bottles.
- Have friends that live in the area who have attended BC releases several years in a row.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

ckoop wrote:yeah, it's pretty rough making the haul for a small amount like that, but 8 is a pretty good amount to enjoy over the winter months. plus, you can always load up on other great beers that premier stocks while you're there! i don't think i've ever left that place disappointed even when i've whiffed on limited releases.
^ This is a reasonable person. Be like him/her.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

IMO it is way easier to get BCBS via trade than trying to buy them off shelf

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

instantkamera wrote:
ckoop wrote:yeah, it's pretty rough making the haul for a small amount like that, but 8 is a pretty good amount to enjoy over the winter months. plus, you can always load up on other great beers that premier stocks while you're there! i don't think i've ever left that place disappointed even when i've whiffed on limited releases.
As I didn't plan on buying a 24 all to myself anyway, I was asking so that a friend and myself knew what the scene is like. And IMHO - I struggle to think that, given the chance at buying more than the next guy, there aren't going to be a lot of people who 'spread the wealth'. Having partook in several rare beer releases, everyone buys as much as they can with few looking out for the next guy in line.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

You have to go in knowing there is a very good chance you are going to get shut out, or end up with very little BCBS. My Buffalo haul last year was this:

0 bottles from Premier (sold out FAST!)

1 Bottle of Coffee from Consumers a couple weeks after everything else sold out (Was in the right place when someone called and cancelled the bottle they had on hold).

2 Bottles of the Barleywine through in person trades a couple weeks later

1 Pint of BCBS on tap at Pizza Plant

Not saying you wont get any, but I would go in with a backup plan incase Premier or whomever sells out fast. I was just there yesterday and Christmas Bomb, Expedition, Backwoods Bastard and Westbrook Gose are all on the shelves en masse.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

beerguykw wrote:
instantkamera wrote:
As I didn't plan on buying a 24 all to myself anyway, I was asking so that a friend and myself knew what the scene is like. And IMHO - I struggle to think that, given the chance at buying more than the next guy, there aren't going to be a lot of people who 'spread the wealth'. Having partook in several rare beer releases, everyone buys as much as they can with few looking out for the next guy in line.
Do what you want - and use whatever justification you feel is necessary - I really don't care. My main point is that you WILL be kept to a limit (per person) at most stores that get this day-of, and even then you will be lucky if there is enough left once you reach the front of the line. Keep that in mind, and be happy with whatever you end up with. If you are unable to set your own expectations in accordance with the facts we are presenting, then don't go.

Ckoop is reasonable because he or she realizes that they trip should be a fun one regardless of what rarwhals you walk away with, and for many of us (the ones who DO spread the wealth) THAT is as much the point as the beer itself.

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

instantkamera wrote:
beerguykw wrote:
instantkamera wrote: ^ This is a reasonable person. Be like him/her.
Do what you want - and use whatever justification you feel is necessary - I really don't care. My main point is that you WILL be kept to a limit (per person) at most stores that get this day-of, and even then you will be lucky if there is enough left once you reach the front of the line. Keep that in mind, and be happy with whatever you end up with. If you are unable to set your own expectations in accordance with the facts we are presenting, then don't go.

Ckoop is reasonable because he or she realizes that they trip should be a fun one regardless of what rarwhals you walk away with, and for many of us (the ones who DO spread the wealth) THAT is as much the point as the beer itself.
Well, in the end I planned on shopping for more than just the BC stuff anyway. I was just at Premier in Sept, and bought several types. I would be happy to get whatever I came back with regardless. The assumption that I was solely looking to load up on BC and leave none behind was a little short-sighted, as I respect the beer community greatly.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

beerguykw wrote: The assumption that I was solely looking to load up on BC ...
Well, for the 4 hour round trip, I'm not going to just get a four pack....
I won't make trip for sure if I'm only coming back with 8 or so.
ಠ_ಠ

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

As part of the entire trip... If I can only get 6 BC beers then its not worth the trip FOR TWO PEOPLE. As I mentioned.

Anyway, I'm not gonna argue with you. I'm simply interested in getting a resonable amount of BC beer, while keeping every other beer drinker in mind. Does that fulfill your expectations?