Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Left Field's new brewhouse

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Malcolm

Left Field's new brewhouse

Post by Malcolm »

From the Globe and Mail: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e21107244/

I so rarely get out to the Beach (es, whatever) but this would be a good reason to.

nickw

Post by nickw »

Luckily you won't be going all the way to the Beach(es). Greenwood and Gerrard is not the Beach(es).

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Leslieville instead of Beaches? If it's east of the DVP it's pretty much beaches to me... ;)

I hope this turns into a great place. I like the Left Field brews but have missed most of their limited-edition versions like Resin Bag, 6-4-3, and recent single-hop beers. I'm sure I'd like them more if I had easier access to more than just their Maris and Eephus.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Me too. Just had a couple of pints of Roger Maris tonight, actually. I really like both their core beers. I hope they don't change a bit when production moves to their own facility. I suppose this is impossible though, given new water, etc.

(And the Globe article places them in the Beaches).

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

El Pinguino wrote:Leslieville instead of Beaches? If it's east of the DVP it's pretty much beaches to me... ;)

I hope this turns into a great place. I like the Left Field brews but have missed most of their limited-edition versions like Resin Bag, 6-4-3, and recent single-hop beers. I'm sure I'd like them more if I had easier access to more than just their Maris and Eephus.
I'd call that Little India, probably. Leslieville doesn't go past Gerrard.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Having been to their open house, it's easily walkable from the subway station on Danforth. Very accessible, even for the westsiders!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Cass wrote:Having been to their open house, it's easily walkable from the subway station on Danforth. Very accessible, even for the westsiders!
I chatted a little with Mark at the last Only beerfest. I gather they've changed the space a fair bit, it would be interesting to pop in and see the space now. They ditched all the offices and laid a new slab floor.

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

Actually, people seem to think Leslieville goes up to Danforth. I don't think Mark and Mandie are thrilled saying Leslieville either, but they're south of the tracks, so somewhat separated from Danforth Village too. I'm all for Christening that little pocket "Left Field"......

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Well for many of us west of Yonge St that area is certainly out in left field... :lol:
lister

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

We're definitely in Leslieville, but our location does tend to confuse people.... even the author of the article.

http://www.torontoneighbourhoods.net/me ... map_53.gif

Our beer will definitely change when we bring it all in house, but hopefully it's for the better. As an example, Cambridge water is extremely hard and I'm looking forward to brewing with something a bit more neutral. We've also opted to use our host breweries house yeast strain to date (except for our Sunlight Park Saison) and will be switching it up when we get our brewery open.

Here's a few photos to show how the space has transformed since our "open house" in February:

http://www.leftfieldbrewery.ca/news/con ... loors-more

Our new concrete floors have been poured, and we'll be receiving all of our equipment in the first week of November.

In August 2013 we signed a hop contract for 2015, and it's aligning nicely with when we expect to be open. Hope to be brewing 6-4-3 Double IPA early in the new year.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

mistermurphy wrote:As an example, Cambridge water is extremely hard and I'm looking forward to brewing with something a bit more neutral.....
Thanks for your comments Mark.

Cambridge? The article says you currently produce at Barley Days. The Globe needs to spend a bit more on fact checkers, I have a feeling.

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

midlife crisis wrote:
mistermurphy wrote:As an example, Cambridge water is extremely hard and I'm looking forward to brewing with something a bit more neutral.....

Cambridge? The article says you currently produce at Barley Days. The Globe needs to spend a bit more on fact checkers, I have a feeling.
We launched in april 2013 by brewing out of Grand River. Early in 2014 we needed to increase capacity but GR didn't have the room, so we started brewing out of Barley Days as well.

Eephus is brewed at Grand River, Barley Days brews everything else.

There are so many details to our story that it's a bit like broken telephone at times as the reporter transcribes info and then it goes through rounds of revisions, edits, etc.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Wow, that photo after the sand blasting looks amazing!

I imagine it's an incredible amount of work, but it looks like it'll really pay off. Congrats on realizing your dream.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

El Pinguino wrote:Leslieville instead of Beaches? If it's east of the DVP it's pretty much beaches to me... ;)
Funny and yet sadly true!

People are used to thinking of Beaches/Leslieville and areas adjacent as sort of connected - 'Steps to lake, Queen St. amenities bla bla bla.' Yes how very many steps... Gerr/Greenwood is not a bad area at all.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

mistermurphy wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:

We launched in april 2013 by brewing out of Grand River. Early in 2014 we needed to increase capacity but GR didn't have the room, so we started brewing out of Barley Days as well.

Eephus is brewed at Grand River, Barley Days brews everything else.

There are so many details to our story that it's a bit like broken telephone at times as the reporter transcribes info and then it goes through rounds of revisions, edits, etc.
Thanks for the clarification. I really enjoy Eephus; hard water and all, it's one of my favourite Ontario beers. Then again, I quite like most of GR's lineup too, so maybe it's no coincidence. Looking forward to trying it from your new facility.