Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sierra Nevada coming to LCBO?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mgmoney

Sierra Nevada coming to LCBO?

Post by mgmoney »

Saw a Facebook post from a wine and beer importer Von Terra indicating they are bringing in Sierra Nevada to lcbo by March. The pale ale and torpedo to start...anyone else heard if this?
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

mgmoney wrote:Saw a Facebook post from a wine and beer importer Von Terra indicating they are bringing in Sierra Nevada to lcbo by March. The pale ale and torpedo to start...anyone else heard if this?
Cask Ale LA hinted at this on their blog:

http://www.caskalela.com/

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

this news just made my day. hopefully it follows through

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Yeah, I saw this on Twitter and assumed the same:

T-Minus 4 days until @CaskDays and the introduction of @SierraNevada to Ontario! Pale Ale, Torpedo and more. #Toronto Winter 2015 launch

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Lose Founders but pick up Torpedo. I'll accept that.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Hopefully we will be getting fresh stuff. Last October I took a run down to Watertown NY to get some beer and picked up a bunch of SN stuff. I bought a bottle of Hoptimum, Torpedo, Tumbler and Ruthless Rye.

The Tumbler was from the 2012 release, the Hoptimum and the Ruthless Rye were from very early in 2013 (so at least 9 months old) and the Torpedo didn't even have a production date on it.

I emailed SN and needless to say, they were not impressed. According to what they told me they require that their distributors have to have refrigerated transport and storage facilities. So hopefully they won't have have any issues dealing with the LCBO.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Kel Varnsen wrote:According to what they told me they require that their distributors have to have refrigerated transport and storage facilities. So hopefully they won't have have any issues dealing with the LCBO.
I've heard the refrigerated transport issue is what kept SN from dealing with the LCBO in the past. Would be interesting to know if they resolved that.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Winter 2015? So a little over a year from now, or like January?

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Craig wrote:Winter 2015? So a little over a year from now, or like January?
It'll hit the warehouse in January and hit shelves a year after that.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Ceecee wrote:
Craig wrote:Winter 2015? So a little over a year from now, or like January?
It'll hit the warehouse in January and hit shelves a year after that.
Lol, that stings. Too much truth in this statement.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I've sent an email to the importer so we'll see if we can get some scoop.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

this would be great. Pretty amazing that we don't have stone/new belgium/lagunitas/sierra nevada/firestone here in canada, considering how big they are in the states.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

spinrsx wrote:this would be great. Pretty amazing that we don't have stone/new belgium/lagunitas/sierra nevada/firestone here in canada, considering how big they are in the states.
On the other hand pretty much all of those breweries don't distribute to the entire US. I think for New Belgium and Stone they only distribute to somewhere around 30 states. Why go after another country when there are still 20 more states you can go after. Although Stone is working on building that brewery in Germany.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
spinrsx wrote:this would be great. Pretty amazing that we don't have stone/new belgium/lagunitas/sierra nevada/firestone here in canada, considering how big they are in the states.
On the other hand pretty much all of those breweries don't distribute to the entire US. I think for New Belgium and Stone they only distribute to somewhere around 30 states. Why go after another country when there are still 20 more states you can go after. Although Stone is working on building that brewery in Germany.
I'm pretty sure some of those breweries distribute to Europe. A friend told me he got more US craft beer (SN, Stone, etc..) in Scotland than he does now that he moved to Canada.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

With the exception of Firestone Walker, all of those are available in varying quantities in either Alberta or BC. So unfortunately it's an Ontario issue, not a Canadian (at least Western Canada) one.