Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

bottling is a b*&%h!!!

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

bottling is a b*&%h!!!

Post by JeffPorter »

...the only bottles I used were muskoka 750s and even then...I did have to clean and peel some of my bottles, but made me want to get into kegging.

Although...those muskoka bottles with your home brew in em looks pretty cool!

Getting the hop leaves out of my carboy wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be...

Hope it's gonna be good!!!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Once you have a good stock of bottles without labels, it's not bad (assuming you have a bottling bucket with a spigot). A dishwasher with sanitation cycle helps to cut down on the chemicals too.

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

I hate to bottle alone, but if I have a second pair of hands it isn't too bad. I generally brew with 2 other guys, so if we bottle, there is a good flow going. One to sanitize (and rinse when filled), one to fill, one to cap.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Derek wrote:Once you have a good stock of bottles without labels, it's not bad (assuming you have a bottling bucket with a spigot). A dishwasher with sanitation cycle helps to cut down on the chemicals too.
I siphon with a bottling wand - is a spigot the way to go?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I use a spigot with an elbow and a tube to reach the bottom of the bottle.

JasonTremblay

Post by JasonTremblay »

I put the beer into a keg, add priming sugar, then use a Beer Gun to get it into bottles.

I have a couple taps, but ... let's be honest ... quaffing 20l of a 9% Belgian is waaaaay beyond my capacity. If it's in bottles, I can give some away, age some more, and enjoy it at a more leisurely pace than I could when I know that my keg will, eventually, go off.

Jason

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I use a bottling bucket with a spigot, hose and bottling wand. It works pretty well even if you are doing it on your own, way less spillage with the bottle wand
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

JeffPorter wrote:...the only bottles I used were muskoka 750s and even then...I did have to clean and peel some of my bottles, but made me want to get into kegging.

Although...those muskoka bottles with your home brew in em looks pretty cool!

Getting the hop leaves out of my carboy wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be...

Hope it's gonna be good!!!
I bottled once on my own and bought kegs pretty much the next day.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

so...on a similar topic - how do I get into kegging so that it's relatively cost effective?

Did you guys make your our keggerators out of fridges? Did you put in tap handles? Is it easy to do? Super expensive?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I prefer chest freezers, they will fit more kegs, though you will need to buy a temp controller (not entirely necessary with a fridge). I didn't make any mods to mine, just go with picnic taps and put the CO2 tank inside.

At minimum, you will need:

1 used keg
1 picnic tap
1 CO2 tank (I rent mine)
1 CO2 regulator
some gas and serving line
1 used fridge or 1 used freezer + temp controller

I personally have 7 kegs, a 20lb CO2 tank, and 4 taps. Freezer is big enough to hold 6 kegs and the CO2. Seems to be about right for my needs (I brew once a month).

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Email Patrick at www.ontariobeerkegs.com

He can price out a nice system for you.. but he has some great startup kits with everything you need.

Awesome guy, awesome customer service.

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

I have bought from Ontariobeerkegs a few times now. Great service, good prices.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can hack the thermostat on a chest freezer, eliminating the need for the external controller. Saves $30ish.

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

JeffPorter wrote:so...on a similar topic - how do I get into kegging so that it's relatively cost effective?

Did you guys make your our keggerators out of fridges? Did you put in tap handles? Is it easy to do? Super expensive?
I spent about $450 to get started, including the used fridge. Here is a good kit to start with. I jumped right in and bought 4 used kegs and 2 taps, currently considering buying a 3rd tap for the fridge, it's nice to have variety.

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/product_ ... hrough.htm

I worried at first I would spend my nights laying on the floor drinking straight from the tap! That never happened, it's really nice being able to pour a half glass here and there. Lately I've been mixing a Porter and IPA together.

Here is my fridge, plus the freezer is full of hops! The shelves have been changed around since then to fit a 3rd keg and the CO2 tank is outside the fridge.

Last edited by Baulz on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Just beware it's a slippery slope.

Less than a year later, I have 4 taps. Let me tell you it's a parttime job keeping 4 taps full.

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

I am upgrading from a mini-fridge with a 2 tap tower to a full size fridge to fit more taps.

The mini-fridge is pending to someone, but if you are interested send me a PM and I will let you know if things don't work out with that buyer.

It fits 2 ball lock kegs and a 10lb Co2 tank with regulator, but its a tight fit.