Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What was your first "Aha!" IPA?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

What was your first "Aha!" IPA?

Post by JeffPorter »

I don't know about you, but for years I thought Keith's was a true IPA...I mean it was pale, it was an ale, and I assumed that it came from India somehow.

Then when I moved to the distillery and started hanging out at the new Mill Street brew pub, my perception of an IPA changed. Their was stronger, more rich and more bitter - I hadn't year discovered American IPAs yet, and I'm kind of glad, because I may have been turned off...I mentioned this in the Lake of Bays, thread, but I still have a soft spot for darker English IPAs.

Anyway, I guess my question is, what was your first "non-Keith's" IPA that turned your head and made you say, "THIS is an IPA???"
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Soods

Post by Soods »

DFH 60 Minute

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Scotch Irish Seargent Major

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I honestly don't remember. I think it was either DFH 60 or SN Torpedo.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Scotch Irish Seargent Major
I miss that one :(
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Three Floyds Alpha King. Talk about rude awakening. I know some of you will say its an american pale ale, not an IPA, but when your this bitter... you're either an IPA or a Leafs fan :)

Had the same aha moment with gueuze. Cantillon was my first.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

iguenard wrote:Three Floyds Alpha King. Talk about rude awakening. I know some of you will say its an american pale ale, not an IPA, but when your this bitter... you're either an IPA or a Leafs fan :)
That is a great IPA! I don't know why they call it a APA.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Scotch Irish Seargent Major
Same for me. I had heard Keith's wasn't a real IPA, and I think this was the first thing I saw that wasn't Keith's that was labeled as an IPA. Night and day. I miss it too.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

First IPA I actually enjoyed, DFH 60 Minute.

First one I had would be Southern Tier IPA, but that was before i was into craft beer and in my "buy stuff I haven't tried yet" phase.

At that point it was like "poison" to me and I was not a fan. However, it was during that phase that I found out about the Castle on King and learned more about craft beer, my tastes changed and I tried the DFH there.

I do like the ST IPA now, but I find a lot of their beers overly sweet for my tastes.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Stone IPA. Good lord I love that stuff.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

DFH 60/SN Torpedo.

I'm still being "aha'd" often enough though, most recently with Alesmith's IPA. Deee-lish.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

In chronological order:

1) Scotch Irish Sgt. Majors IPA brewed by Church Key, not Heritage.

2) Stone IPA

3) Troegg's Nugget Nectar

Nowadays I'm glad the Ontario scene is shaping up - our brewers and those east and west are doing great stuff. The Americans did it right. Why re-invent the wheel?
In Beerum Veritas

Weissebier

Post by Weissebier »

Though not listed as an IPA, Dragons Breath from Kingston Brewing Co. was perhaps my first experience with very hoppy beers. This would be when Hart was brewing it. I see now it is bewed by McCauslan. Not being much for over the top hops, I would have to say Bell's Two Hearted Ale, was my next, and I would still welcome a bottle or two, or three in my frigde.

W.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Stone IPA. Good lord I love that stuff.
Same here.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

For me it Southern Tier IPA
"Beer that is not drunk had missed its vocation."
http://www.twitter.com/IcemanFTW