Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Gatineau - bottle purchases

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Interesting. My wife and I have been looking for a fondue/raclette place since the other place on Savane shut down.

We'll give it a try in the new year and I'll let you know.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

cfrancis wrote:Interesting. My wife and I have been looking for a fondue/raclette place since the other place on Savane shut down.

We'll give it a try in the new year and I'll let you know.
....if you live to talk about it.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Has anybody else tried La Brulerie on St. Joseph? I went last summer and a few of the bottles I bought were past the expiry date. Just wondering if it's worth my time to give it another shot.

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

Ceecee wrote:Has anybody else tried La Brulerie on St. Joseph? I went last summer and a few of the bottles I bought were past the expiry date. Just wondering if it's worth my time to give it another shot.
I like their coffee- never bought bottles there. Probably best to stick to Omni

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

The IGA on St. Joseph past Jean-Proulx is really starting ramp up their craft beer selection. It's the closest grocery store to my work so I'm in there often.

But they picked up BDT when they started bottling, now there is Bilboquet, Abri de la Tempete and La Lievre. Prices are consistent with Omni and Broue-ha-ha

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Ceecee wrote:Has anybody else tried La Brulerie on St. Joseph? I went last summer and a few of the bottles I bought were past the expiry date. Just wondering if it's worth my time to give it another shot.
La Brulerie has the unique advantage of selling beer earlier in the day than anyone else as they are a coffee shop. Helped one time I left Ottawa before 9am and wanted to get beer before heading home!

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

visited Brou HaHa for the first time... very nice store!

Not cheap, but I brought home some bottles not avail. in Ont that I've never had before.

Very pleased with my mini-haul.

750ml Ephemere Pomme
750ml Don De Dieu
750ml LTM altbier
2x St. Ambroise Scotch Ale
4x DDC Aphodisiaque
4x DDC Rigor Mortis

(wifey was in the car, and budget was already blown)

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Anyone seen Quelque Chose or La terrible from Unibroue recently? Looking to grab some more of these next time I venture to QC.

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

El Pinguino wrote:Anyone seen Quelque Chose or La terrible from Unibroue recently? Looking to grab some more of these next time I venture to QC.
I'd like to know too, I'm heading there this weekend coming.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

El Pinguino wrote:Anyone seen Quelque Chose or La terrible from Unibroue recently? Looking to grab some more of these next time I venture to QC.
I didn't see either of those at Brou HaHa.

But a family friend picked me up some La Terrible from SAQ a while ago.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

KwaiLo wrote:
I'd like to know too, I'm heading there this weekend coming.

We have not seen Quelque Chose in these parts in many years. Someone else can verify, but I think they only sell it to the US market now.

Terrible is easy to find. Omni had a full display of them on sale for $7.99 the last time I visited.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

I went to Broue Ha Ha myself last week and got
Dunham Black IPA
Dunham APA
Simple Malt Cascade
Orléans Joseph Bellarmin
LTM Doppelbock
Trois Pistoles

On the way to BHH, I stopped at the Maloney O SAQ and got
Orval
Chimay Bleue
Delirium Tremens
Karmeliet Tripel
Schneider Hopfen Weisse
Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Triple
St. Bernardus ABT 12

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

FYI - St. Bernardus ABT 12 is back at the SAQ.
At Broue Ha Ha last week I saw LTM Weizenbock and Unibroue La Terrible while picking up my case of St. Ambroise RIS. The RIS will be on the shelves on the 31st (according to the BHH newsletter).

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

Popped into Marche Omni, was somewhat disappointed with their selection; maybe the holiday rush has been good to them?

Regardless, popped over to Depanneur Rapido and they had a great selection- DDC Grande Noirceur, numerous christmas beers (Dunham, LTM), St Ambroise RIS (no vintage yet though) and

Hopfenstark beers- Higgs Boson, Station 16 and Assoiffe

Not sure if this will be a permanent thing but it's pretty cool.

Actually they had a bunch of Dunham beers that will be part of a very big haul after christmas.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Was quickly into the new beer store in the Aylmer mall... Bière du monde or something? Was ok. Staff seemed enthusiastic. Selection, at a quick glance, didn't seem to be quite as good as BroueHaha, but not that far behind either. If it was closer to me than Brouehaha, I think I would go there instead depending on a special release here and there.