Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Big Rig Brewpub - Ottawa

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Big Rig Brewpub - Ottawa

Post by Cass »

Anyone know anything about this?

From: http://m.ottawasun.com/2012/02/17/carkn ... -to-lineup
BIG RIG BREW

Chris Phillips will soon have a beer named after him.

It will be available in a new bar/restaurant bearing his nickname.

The Big Rig, a micro brewpub located a slapshot from Canada's largest Ikea at Pinecrest and Iris, is expected to open in May.

"I've been involved with some other restaurants and stuff before, but having this one from the ground up, and obviously having the Big Rig brew will be fun," said the Senators defenceman, who will have four partners, including Victoria brew master Lon Ladell. "I'm looking forward to it."

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I still get a kick out of the fact that I have 2 brother in laws with the same names as NHL players
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I've heard rumblings about it and the location is the same as what I heard. But I didn't know anything about a date.

It's kind of like 3 Brasseurs, people have been talking for a year about it and there still isn't anything happening.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Didn't Lubière post about this a few months back?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Not sure, maybe. My friend lives nearby and the building they're (supposedly) going into is under active construction. So I thought there'd be new news as it seems like it's real.

LarryKress

Post by LarryKress »

Hi Guys

Lonnie brewed at Spinnakers and has worked in the brew business for years. He helped us out for a while at BDT, working after his day job.
Solid nice guy.
I am sure that he will help to make this beautiful land a beer oasis too.

Larry

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/chris ... ing-in-may

Ottawa Senators defenceman Chris Phillips has at least another two years of hockey in him, which is how long his current contract lasts.
But under construction at the corner of Iris and Greenbank in Ottawa’s west end is the project he hopes keeps him busy when life after hockey finally does arrive: a microbrewery that will bear his nickname, The Big Rig.
He and his partners expect to open the brewpub in May on the site that has housed such past ventures as Le Biftheque.
“No matter what happens hockey-wise, I’ll be back here,” said Phillips.
“It’s basically home now. . . so this will be something to work with and have fun with when hockey’s done.
“We’ve had a lot of talks, and a lot of ideas have been thrown around with the partners I’m involved with, and we’re getting closer to that day now, so, yeah, it’s going to be exciting.”

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Jaysus, Ottawa's beer scene is growing up fast.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Article in the Citizen today about the pub. Sounds like they have a really good idea of what they are doing. The fact that they brought on a brewer who used to work at Spinnakers in Victoria is very promosing. That place was awesome when I used to live there and they were always trying new stuff. Even the core beer styles they are going to be having sound pretty awesome, a locally made Double Chocolate Stout and a local seasonal Hefe both sound very intersting.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/food/ ... story.html

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

Their website (http://bigrigbrew.com/) says they are opening Monday June 11. It lists the following beers:

BIG RIG GOLD
Our flagship beer is a refreshing Golden brew that uses a blend of the finest Canadian and German malts giving it a smooth mild body that balances the crisp, pleasant German hop finish. The hops used in this local brew are soon to be grown at our very own hop yard at the Phillips farm in Manotick.
STATS - 5% alc. vol. - O.G. 1.048 - 20 IBU - 2.5 Lovibond
PAIRS BEST WITH - PIZZA, HEAT, THE HOCKEY GAME

BIG RIG RIDEAU RED
The light red and amber coloring of this beer is a result of using special crystalized barley. This smooth style starts off with a slightly sweet mellow mouth feel and finishes up with a clean finish. Using fresh floral hops at the start of the boil allows the complex subtle maltiness to shine. A classic!
STATS - 5.2% alc. vol. - O.G. 1.050 - 18 IBU - 10 Lovibond
PAIRS BEST WITH - SEAFOOD, CHICKEN, PATIO

BIG RIG BYWARD BROWN
This Nut Brown has the aroma of lightly roasted coffee and chocolate with the color of toasted hazelnuts. Although this brew has a rich darker color it is surprisingly mild and smooth in flavor, making it a refreshing pint. This beer has been called a gateway brew to the dark side.
STATS - 5.2% alc. vol. - O.G. 1.050 - 22 IBU - 18 Lovibond
PAIRS BEST WITH - PORK, BEEF, A GOOD FREIND

BIG RIG INDIA PALE ALE
This North American IPA is generously hopped, giving it lively citrus and grapefruit aroma and flavor that is layered with a maltiness derived from the careful selection of specialty malts and Canadian Barley. This brew is sure to satisfy those who love the hop!
STATS - 6.2% alc. vol. - O.G. 1.060 - 70 IBU - 6 Lovibond
PAIRS BEST WITH - BEEF, SEAFOOD, THE SOCCER MATCH

BIG RIG STUD STOUT
With a mocha colored head this bold and beautiful stout has layers of chocolate and roasted coffee like barley that give it a rich flavor that is intensified with the addition of Belgian bitter sweet chocolate. This beer is a velvet painting of chocolate and beer making out while listening to Barry White, painted by Otis Redding…Smooth
STATS - 5.6% alc. vol. - O.G. 1.058 - 25 IBU - 40 Lovibond
PAIRS BEST WITH - BEEF, DESSERT, BEAR SKIN RUG

BIG RIG SEASONAL

We love beer so much we couldn't put a limit the number of styles we make… so we added a few more lines so we could brew something new for you all the time. These beers are made in limited quantities so be sure to ask your server for details on our current selection.

FIRST SEASONAL IN PERFECT TIME FOR PATIO SEASON
HEFEWEIZEN light and refreshing this German wheat beer is a classic patio drinker!

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Safety First!

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

rejtable wrote:Safety First!
No kidding. Hopefully the IPA will be interesting.

I find it funny that they have a Byward Brown, and Clocktower has a Bytown Brown.

codfishh

Post by codfishh »

You can hate all you want but any addition to Ottawa's beer scene is a welcome addition. I am hoping the brewmaster from Spinnakers will make some solid beers.

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

codfishh wrote:You can hate all you want but any addition to Ottawa's beer scene is a welcome addition. I am hoping the brewmaster from Spinnakers will make some solid beers.
True enough, plus now I'll have something to do when the woman wants to go to IKEA.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

opens today apparently