Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muskoka canned Mad Tom

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

JeffPorter wrote:I think I'm going to buy more Mad Tom now that it's in cans...It's dumb, but I just don't buy a lot of it in the six pack format...
i but quite a bit of mad tom in the bottles but will probably buy even more now with it being canned.

does anyone know the price point of the cans?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

6 packs of the Cream are 12.95, and cans of the Cream and Dark are 2.75, while a 6 pack of the IPA is 13.50, so maybe $2.80-$2.85?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

icemachine wrote:6 packs of the Cream are 12.95, and cans of the Cream and Dark are 2.75, while a 6 pack of the IPA is 13.50, so maybe $2.80-$2.85?
hmmm current pricing on the Cream is:
$0.608/100ml in bottles
$0.581/100ml in cans

so if Muskoka keeps pricing similar and Mad Tom comes cheaper in cans then bottles then that makes this news even better

Streets

Post by Streets »

Great news! i forsee a cooler full of Mad Tom, Crazy Canuck & Dennison Weiss at the cottage this summer :).

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Streets wrote:Great news! i forsee a cooler full of Mad Tom, Crazy Canuck & Dennison Weiss at the cottage this summer :).
Yep....the 'what cans to bring camping' just got a new addition.

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

Love it!!!!! Great idea.

TJ

Post by TJ »

That's fantastic. I was just wondering if this would ever happen this week when I was buying cans for a guys weekend up north. This will be a nice addition to the usual roster of Crazy Canuck and Pilsner Urqell.

Also living in a high rise makes dealing with bottles a hassle and anything in canned format is preferable.

While I'm here, I'm also curious about this:
cratez wrote:Quick question for those in the know: I believe Mad Tom had Sorachi Ace hops when it was first released, but now only uses Chinook and Centennial. Would this explain the improvement that I've noticed?.
I picked up a sixer of Mad Tom when it first came out and one a couple weeks later and thought, yeah. It's okay but hardly a world beater. But I've had a few pints and C'est What? and more recently at Marben that were just fantastic, and I'm wondering if what cratez mentioned is the reason for the improvement.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

The cans are showing up in the system now!

:D

No sign of spring oddity yet, the TBS has a listing for it...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

JeffPorter wrote:The cans are showing up in the system now!

:D
I am so pumped for this. I've been drinking a hell of a lot of Mad Tom the last few weeks.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

I did a small IPA blind tasting last night to see how Mad Tom stacked up to a few others I had in the fridge - We had Muskoka Mad Tom, Bear Republic Racer 5, Bells Two Hearted and Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye. While it was obvious which was the Ruthless Rye, I confused Mad Tom with Two Hearted. I was almost certain it was Mad Tom... and ultimately I chose Mad Tom as my favorite. It's so nice to have such a solid American IPA so readily available now :)

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Just grabbed some cans at one of the Brampton stores at lunch - BB date is Aug 30, but from what I understand, these just came from the brewery about a week ago...can't wait to crack one open when I get home...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

JeffPorter wrote:Just grabbed some cans at one of the Brampton stores at lunch - BB date is Aug 30, but from what I understand, these just came from the brewery about a week ago...can't wait to crack one open when I get home...
That would make sense, as they're probably giving it a 5 month shelf life. Good to know for other Muskoka product (assuming they've chosen the same lifespan for their entire core lineup).