Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

TAPS Niagara Falls,

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Simplefolk

TAPS Niagara Falls,

Post by Simplefolk »

Stopped in the other day. 11 house draughts and the daily specials are interesting.
I would definitely organize a beer run for the Sat special beer, wings and pizza.
The ales were a bit hoppy but tat is my opinion.
The light and blonde was smooth.
Well worth the visit. Plenty of parking and just off downtown. I will return with an entourage.
Piss on the falls do the beer tour.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

Simplefolk wrote: the Sat special beer.
What do you mean by mean by this? cheap beer night? one-off night?
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

Maybe he means the growler club beer...or some sort of food special. I think on Sat they have pizza/wings/growler for a decent price.

Sundays are cheap day...I think pints are like 3.50

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

RayOhm wrote:
Simplefolk wrote: the Sat special beer.
What do you mean by mean by this? cheap beer night? one-off night?
He means this
Saturday
1 large pizza, 1lb of wings & a growler of beer for $25.00
Awesome deal!

http://tapsbeer.ca

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Rumors from friends in Niagara Falls (in the real estate biz) have some pressure from the landlord in the Queens St. location causing issues that may threaten the longterm viability of that spot. Luckily, the Lundy's Lane location is getting great reviews on the food and drink.

All of this falls into the rumor category (not yet reported) but downtown NF is such a mess and locals really have a tough time supporting anything downtown. I don't know how well they have been able to tap the tourist market.

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

Rob Creighton wrote:Rumors from friends in Niagara Falls (in the real estate biz) have some pressure from the landlord in the Queens St. location causing issues that may threaten the longterm viability of that spot. Luckily, the Lundy's Lane location is getting great reviews on the food and drink.

All of this falls into the rumor category (not yet reported) but downtown NF is such a mess and locals really have a tough time supporting anything downtown. I don't know how well they have been able to tap the tourist market.
That's a shame. I wonder if they would consider moving to St. Catharines to have a presense in both cities...?

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

Timmy wrote:
Rob Creighton wrote:Rumors from friends in Niagara Falls (in the real estate biz) have some pressure from the landlord in the Queens St. location causing issues that may threaten the longterm viability of that spot. Luckily, the Lundy's Lane location is getting great reviews on the food and drink.

That's a shame. I wonder if they would consider moving to St. Catharines to have a presense in both cities...?
I believe they recently just moved out of St Catharines back when they were called Niagaras Best, so I wonder if they would want to come back.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I love The Syndicate, their Lundy's Lane location, but frankly I have gotten such terrible food and service at Taps on Queen you would have to pay me to step foot in there again. The tipping point for me was when I went for wings, which were tiny, but ok, the nail in the coffin however was the 'bleu cheese' dressing served with the wings. My friend and I were both convinced it was butter flavoured with bleu cheese. It was absolutely disgusting. The response from the waitress was a shrug and "some people like it."

That was just the last in a string of disasters, but they do serve a few good beers. Also, speaking as a former growler club member the owners could be a bit more adventurous. It seems outside their sole IPA they are hesitant to brew anything even remotely hoppy.

Syndicate, love that place, they grill an awesome burger! Its hard to imagine they are owned by the same people!

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

I agree that taps has been lacking for myself lately. The only time I visit either of the places is for growler club and I am begining to wonder why I even attend that. They ask for people to throw out ideas for interesting stuff to brew, and than spend the whole time shooting everyone down and explaining why it wont sell. They were asking for fall beer ideas, and I threw out something as pedestrian as a brown ale. Other tables got excited about the idea, because they said they were new castle drinkers and really enjoyed it. The taps brewer than spent the next 10 minutes telling us why it wouldnt sell even though others were into the idea. I do wish them sucess since they are one of the few places around, but when you have the College brewery doing growler sales, and a few interesting selections at even the merchant ill go there. Hell they still have casks from time to time.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Anyone been to Taps on Queen recently? I'll be in Niagara this weekend and wonder if it's worth stopping by for a few beers/meal. Do they do growlers regularly? Does the beer selection extend beyond what their website indicates or do they offer just those four (Cream Ale, Lager, Vanilla Wheat and IPA)? Curious if anyone has any info...

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

My girlfriend will be stopping by tomorrow after a site visit in NF to grab a growler, so I'll be able to find out what they have. The Winking Judge currently has their "Kitchen Sink" on tap which I find to be a very good Black IPAish kind of beer, so that's a likely candidate.

We've always been able to get a growler of an interesting one-off when stopping by.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Cale wrote:My girlfriend will be stopping by tomorrow after a site visit in NF to grab a growler, so I'll be able to find out what they have. The Winking Judge currently has their "Kitchen Sink" on tap which I find to be a very good Black IPAish kind of beer, so that's a likely candidate.

We've always been able to get a growler of an interesting one-off when stopping by.
Cool, curious to see what's on.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

They have everything listed on the website, and their current seasonals are the Kitchen Sink "Pail Ale" (6.0%) which is a black IPA, and the Spiced Eisbock (9.2%) spiced with cinnamon and ginger.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Will be in Niagara next month, and have yet to check this place out. Don't think they update their website, but is there any way to know what they have on draught? Is this place even worth stopping for? I haven't heard anything about these guys in ages...

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

liamt07 wrote: Will be in Niagara next month, and have yet to check this place out. Don't think they update their website, but is there any way to know what they have on draught? Is this place even worth stopping for? I haven't heard anything about these guys in ages...
I would call beforehand to ask if any special beers are on tap. If they have a few rotators on it's well worth a visit, as they have a great space there and the beer and food are consistently good. I tried a bunch of their single hop IPAs, one-offs, and the Chokeslam DIPA at Gambrinus and enjoyed all of them.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott