Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

My summer "forage Toronto" beer challenge...need s

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

My summer "forage Toronto" beer challenge...need s

Post by atomeyes »

Hoping you guys can help me out in 2 ways. Read on...

So I thought about an ode to Toronto w/regards to my summer beer. I'm looking at using fruits or ingredients that I can either forage or that are in season in Toronto/Niagara. I've come up with a tentative list of fruit and beer.

Fruit: sumac, raspberries, apples, crab apples, peaches, apricots, mullberries, plums, pears.

The easiest beer styles would be blondes, heifweizens and possibly stouts (chocolate peach stout, anyone?). Also thinking of saisons (e.g. crabapples in a dry saison), brett-only beer, sours.

So what I'm looking for:

1. thoughts/suggestions on fruit matching or recipes that involve the above fruit
2. locations where I can forage for things such as crab apples, sumac (I have both of these), mullberries, etc.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I don't know much about trees, but some sumac is poisonous.

Rhubarb might work in a tart brew.

I haven't had mulberries in years... love those things. I'd never plant a tree though, too much purple bird crap!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Derek wrote:I don't know much about trees, but some sumac is poisonous.

Rhubarb might work in a tart brew.

I haven't had mulberries in years... love those things. I'd never plant a tree though, too much purple bird crap!
sumac that you mostly see around toronto isn't poisonous. that species is used for lemonade and arab spices.

http://blog.localfoody.net/wp-content/u ... nSumac.jpg

you'll find this along roads and in a lot of toronto parks. it makes excellent lemonade.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Goose shit? :P

I'm going to try racking a gallon of my Berliner Weisse on some rhubarb this summer.

duncan

Post by duncan »