Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Thornbridge Jaipur India Pale Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TwoPint

Thornbridge Jaipur India Pale Ale

Post by TwoPint »

In tiny lettering on the back label it says that it "May contain sediment". The ones I got at Bay-King are like snow globes. Is this a bad thing? Best Before says 24.07.12.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TwoPint wrote:In tiny lettering on the back label it says that it "May contain sediment". The ones I got at Bay-King are like snow globes. Is this a bad thing? Best Before says 24.07.12.
They do no filtering at all, from what I understand, so it could be some residual hops and yeast(?)

Are these bottle conditioned?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

I see now that the back label says no pasteurization or filtration.

Tastes great by the way.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Very cask-like. Maybe more carbonation! But the half bottle I left earlier (my shittty champagne stopper* exploded into the bottle and caused the beer to foam up) has less carbonation, and it's very cask-like now...
In Beerum Veritas

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

TwoPint wrote:I see now that the back label says no pasteurization or filtration.

Tastes great by the way.
Really nice!

Had 3 Thursday nite while doing up some barbecued turkey.

You are right about the sediment but it quickly settles, it has a long way to go to beat some Rickards White I had years ago. It actually had black specs floating around in it, reminded me of this gold liqueur my father used to buy.

BB date of July 2012 sorta sucks.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Not what I was expecting, but I like it a lot. Extremely drinkable - almost drinks like a pumped up pils...good warm weather beer.

Not crazy about the BB date, either...Imagine this in England on cask!

Also, nice to see headstock in cans...that 401/weston store's pretty great and convenient pretty much no matter where you live!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

my rb rating:

500ml bottle from the LCBO. pours hazed lager golden. doesnt looks like an IPA. light c hop and pale base malt nose. doesnt smell like and IPA. lean lightly sweet malt body with grating hop acid and big bitter finish. a big golden blonde ale, not an IPA.

3.3/5

Brewbert

Post by Brewbert »

I agree, not an IPA at all. Bought a bottle last night, pretty good but advertised wrong.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Brewbert wrote:I agree, not an IPA at all, advertised wrong.
Why isn't it an IPA? Because it's not an out of balance, over the top hop monster? It ticks all the criteria for an IPA.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Torontoblue wrote:
Why isn't it an IPA? Because it's not an out of balance, over the top hop monster? It ticks all the criteria for an IPA.
it doesnt look, smell or taste like an IPA, english, american, or any other sub class ive ever had

this beer is like Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted with jacked up bitterness and abv that reduces sessionability

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

matt7215 wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:
it doesnt look, smell or taste like an IPA, english, american, or any other sub class ive ever had

this beer is like Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted with jacked up bitterness and abv that reduces sessionability
Ah, so it's just your opinion on tasting a beer that may or may not be fresh. Got it.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Torontoblue wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Torontoblue wrote: Why isn't it an IPA? Because it's not an out of balance, over the top hop monster? It ticks all the criteria for an IPA.

Ah, so it's just your opinion. Got it.
everything i post on here is just my opinion, i could start putting IMO at the end of every post if that makes it clearer

i dont really care what style of beer this is and i dont think it matters, but i also dont think it drinks like any of the IPAs ive ever had. IMO has far more in common with hoppy english blond ales but at 5.9% abv is doesnt fit into that style either

can you name some IPAs similar to this one?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Torontoblue wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Torontoblue wrote: Why isn't it an IPA? Because it's not an out of balance, over the top hop monster? It ticks all the criteria for an IPA.

Ah, so it's just your opinion on tasting a beer that may or may not be fresh. Got it.
how could i possibly have tasted this beer any fresher? i bought it the day it came into my local LCBO

also how can freshness change the SRM of a beer?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I've only had 9 of the top 20 English IPAs, but to me it nails the style in every aspect except the bright yellow appearance. I let my bottle warm for an hour and got big lemony, herbal, grassy, and earthy hop notes with some white grapefruit, floral aromas, and a mild soapiness added to the mix. The malt profile is slightly sweet and the beers finishes with a notable bitterness and drying, refreshing palate. I haven't done a detailed review yet but the nose, flavour, and mouthfeel are all consistent with a British IPA. It's just the look that seems off.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I just tasted this. The best-by date is in July upcoming, which suggests it is about 8 months old, i.e., assuming the dates are picked on a one-year-from-bottling system.

The beer tastes very fresh, which I attribute to the bottle-conditioning.

I had this on cask in Leicester Square, London, just over one year ago.

And this bottled version tastes just like that one did, which to me is classic APA. I don't get anything English in it, it tastes like many quality APAs I have had in my time, in other words with a U.S. West Coast hop signature. If there is English hops in this I'd be very surprised indeed.

It's very well made, but not the kind of thing I'd look to England for, generally speaking.

Gary
Gary Gillman