Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cameron's Rye Pale Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

liamt07
Bar Fly

Cameron's Rye Pale Ale

Post by liamt07 »

Anyone else had this? Grabbed a couple pints last night at the Rhino, an excellent Rye IPA. Loads of juicy citrus and tropical notes, a bit of rye spiciness. Excellent mouthfeel. Has the potential to be one of the best in the province if the quality of this brew remains consistent IMO.

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

Picked up a sixer from the brewery a few days ago. I really enjoyed it.

Brewbert

Post by Brewbert »

I was thinking of swinging by the brewery to pick some up, my dad is a hophead and he said this stuff is great, best of the bunch in Ontario - which from him is high praise.

How much is a 6 pack at their brewery?

fricfrac

Post by fricfrac »

A 6pk will run you $16.50.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

fricfrac wrote: A 6pk will run you $16.50.
Oakville, Ontario: 139 squared kilometres of yuppiness surrounded by reality.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

cratez wrote:
fricfrac wrote: A 6pk will run you $16.50.
Oakville, Ontario: 139 squared kilometres of yuppiness surrounded by reality.
And how!!! Not to derail, but two stories -

This past fall, I worked the farmer's market selling for the McVean Farm up here...Let's just say that the following were two very typical conversations I had with customers:

Customer: "Do you have any Eggplants?"

Me: "No, sorry egglplant has been done for quite time."

Customer: "I need eggplant"

Me: "Sorry, it's pretty late in the season..."

Customer: "But...I NEED eggplant..."

Customer: "What are these little pumpkins for?"

Me: "Sugar Pumpkins! Good for baking pies!"

Customer: "How much are they?"

Me: "3 dollars."

Customer: "Can I have it for a dollar?"

Me: "Um...no..."

Customer: "How come?"

Me: "The farmer would lose money."

Customer: "And?..."

There were a lot of conversations like this. I thought perhaps this was just confined to the market, and then went to Whole Foods a couple of weeks ago.

So, the gelato counter is right beside the bakery counter. And like many gelato counters, they can give you little tiny samples.

This one woman walks up to the bakery counter (after budding in front of me) and asks the woman for a small sample of each of the brownies.

The woman behind the counter thinks that she wants four small portions of each of the brownies so that they would equal one brownie. A nice accommodation, I thought, and she put a brownie price tag on it.

The woman actually said - "Oh, I didn't want to pay for them..."

The woman behind the counter rolled her eyes, took the little box back, took the sticker off, and gave it back to this woman, saying, "You might as well have them, they're no good to me..." The customer actually then got ANGRY at the woman behind the counter!!!

Sorry for the long winded-ness, but Oakville, you have a beautiful city, but some pretty entitled people there!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

duncan

Post by duncan »

JeffPorter wrote:
So, the gelato
I witnessed a woman throw a shit fit at customer service at the same Whole Foods because she couldn't locate the Pumpkin gelato.

Brewbert

Post by Brewbert »

16.50... for a six pack of 6.6% ale?...That isn't even imported?

Are you pulling my leg?

I hope it's worth it..

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Yuppie tangent...

Personally I wouldn't want to live there either, but I do have close friends in Oakville, and it does seem like a decent place for a family (half the crime rate of the city and space is a lot more affordable).

Now I'm really confused by the Yuppie designation of these suburbanites. Isn't a Yuppie a young urban professional seeking social status? That's nothing like the soccer mom's that run rampant in these communities.

If you're an urban dweller making (what could be seen as) frivolous alcohol purchases, isn't that bit like calling the kettle black?

If you want to degrade the upper-middle class which has now moved out of the city, you need another term! Maybe Young Upper Middle-class Suburbanites... or Yummies for short.

Why should the Yummy only apply to the Mummy?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yummy_mummy

Brewbert

Post by Brewbert »

Against my brains judgement I bought a 6 pack at the brewery today.. brought my mother along with me because she was curious about breweries and such. I had to get her out of the house for the surprise 30th anniversary party anyway.

This beer is....... godly. The greatest thing from Ontario without a doubt... Must try Black Oak's imperial IPA before I leave.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Derek wrote:Yuppie tangent...

Personally I wouldn't want to live there either, but I do have close friends in Oakville, and it does seem like a decent place for a family (half the crime rate of the city and space is a lot more affordable).

Now I'm really confused by the Yuppie designation of these suburbanites. Isn't a Yuppie a young urban professional seeking social status? That's nothing like the soccer mom's that run rampant in these communities.

If you're an urban dweller making (what could be seen as) frivolous alcohol purchases, isn't that bit like calling the kettle black?

If you want to degrade the upper-middle class which has now moved out of the city, you need another term! Maybe Young Upper Middle-class Suburbanites... or Yummies for short.

LOL. Derek - you're taking my one-liner WAY too seriously. I was making the facetious point (tongue firmly planted in cheek) that only rich Oakville suburbanites can afford $17 sixers of a mid-strength, locally brewed ale. It was more a criticism of the confusing price point than a serious commentary on social status. But you're right - yummy is the better term!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I meant to pick up a sixer this weekend but the ridiculous price point prevented me from doing so. For a brewery that has only recently started to brew interesting beer, the price point of this really has me scratching my head.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

cratez wrote:
Derek wrote:Yuppie tangent...

LOL. Derek - you're taking my one-liner WAY too seriously. I was making the facetious point (tongue firmly planted in cheek) that only rich Oakville suburbanites can afford $17 sixers of a mid-strength, locally brewed ale. It was more a criticism of the confusing price point than a serious commentary on social status. But you're right - yummy is the better term!
Yeah, I was jesting as well.

The suburbanites often take a lot flack, even though they've chosen an affordable lifestyle. Besides, $17 is cheaper than 6 drinks at a restaurant/pub... heck, some places charge more than that for bottled water!

Prices are dictated by the market. If it sells, is it priced too high?

Beer drinkers have had it relatively easy (compared to wine lovers etc), but unfortunately as craft gains in popularity, there's going to be more people willing to pay a premium.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Just had this at the Rhino (great line up at the Rhino this weekend, btw, including Golden Pride cask, Bengal Lancer, and Raftman)

Yeah, it's definitely one of the best IPAs in the province...It actually reminds me of a less boozy 10BY....

$17 is steep, and at those prices, I'll have a pint at the Rhino for six bucks, thanks - but I wonder if this is the future of hoppy beers...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

$6 / pint = 30 cents an ounce (assuming it's a 20 oz pint). PLUS TIP!

$17 / 72 oz = 23.6 cents an ounce (assuming they're 12 oz bottles).

Sure the brewery is still making more from the on-site sale, but I wouldn't say it's poor value for the consumer.

I don't understand why there's no hesitation to support the publican (which they certainly deserve, considering cost of rent etc), yet people scoff at supporting the people that actually brew the beer?

SUPPORT YOUR BREWERS!