Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Pepperwood Beer Festival

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

[/quote]Does that mean the Scotch Ale will be gone?[/quote]

I did my best to help that along yesterday afternoon. Well worth the visit to check out this "Wee Heavy". 8)

Slainte,
Jeff

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

Looking forward to seeing you at the Pepperwood.
Should be a fun event with lots of beers to sample and some very good food as well.
(we may spray organic Katsup on notebooks if the rating person is a bit too intense, just my radical way of dealing with that issue)
Please bring some friends and introduce them to craft beer. It's going to be a great day and a perfect way to have some fun and make some new craft beer supporters. There should be something for everyone. From introductory beers to over the top flavour beers.
Me, Adrian & Jeremy will be there (although Jer was talking more about the buffet than the beer, perhaps we should restrain him until everone else has had a shot at the buffet, and then we'll let the Jerinator loose!!!)
Cheers
Ken

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Asst. Grain Shoveller wrote:Me, Adrian & Jeremy will be there (although Jer was talking more about the buffet than the beer, perhaps we should restrain him until everone else has had a shot at the buffet, and then we'll let the Jerinator loose!!!)
Hey! I already agreed not to line my pockets with plastic....

Publican

Post by Publican »

Unfortunatly I'm not able to attend this festival but if anyone knows the name and contact info for the owner of the Pepperwood I'd appreciate if you could let me know. The reason I want to know this is I'd like to order a keg of one of thier beers for a party.
Thanks a lot
Publican

the.brewer

Post by the.brewer »

If Pepperwood is a brewpub, i.e. operating as a licensed establishment with a brew pub endorsement, then they will not be able to supply you, Scott.
If, on the other hand they have applied for a Manufacturer's license and paid the $1,000+ fee, then they can do so but I think that is probably not the case.

Michael

Publican

Post by Publican »

Thanks for the info Michael, I'll have to ring Pepperwood Bistro and see if the've paid this fee. I hope so as I'd like to have their Mild and no micro brews this great style of ale. They would only have to sell 10 kegs at $100 to pay off this fee. I feel this would not be too hard as Burlington is a little to far away for people living in Toronto. Hopefully they have enough kegs to do off sales as I understand that kegs aren't cheap

By the way I had your Dunkel yesterday and it was great, very close to when you brewed at Denison's. A fellow imbiber liked it too and would like to see your Helles make a comeback. I second that motion!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Kudos to Paul and the Pepperwood crew. Had a great time, food was good and had some tasty beers, including some new ones. One of which being the Pepperwood Maibock. Quite nice, and bodes well for their "beer of the month" program.

the.brewer

Post by the.brewer »

Publican,
If you do call the Pepperwood, please don't ask them if they have paid the fee for a Manufacturer's license. It's not really something that a potential customer should be asking. As far as my post goes, Methinks too much information is a dangerous thing. Just ask if they do off premise sales.

Also, your statement that they only have to sell 10 kegs at $100 to pay for the fee shows a fundamental misunderstanding of business in general, specifically alcohol sales.
Do you think that 100% of a business's sales is profit? How much do you think that a brewery makes from the sale of a keg of beer? Secondly, you may not be aware that breweries cannot arbitrarily sell a keg at $100. They have to come up with a pricing, apply for price approval and the product legally has to sold at that price.
I'm only mentioning these facts to get you to think a bit about your statements. I don't want to discuss this post further on the forum.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Just to change the focus but only slightly I trust, can someone indicate in a capsule what Pepperwood is and where located? I believe it is a brewpub. What do they concentrate on, is it own-brews, imports, Ontario micros, etc.? I did a search on bartowel but could not quickly get the lowdown. How would one get there from mid-town Toronto? Thanks

Gary

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

old faithful wrote:Just to change the focus but only slightly I trust, can someone indicate in a capsule what Pepperwood is and where located? I believe it is a brewpub. What do they concentrate on, is it own-brews, imports, Ontario micros, etc.? I did a search on bartowel but could not quickly get the lowdown. How would one get there from mid-town Toronto? Thanks

Gary
Here's their website:

http://www.pepperwood.on.ca/

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Gary:

It's quite easy (I live in Toronto too). QEW Westbound to Brant St. exit. South on Brant St. until it ends at Lake Ontario. Pepperwood is at the corner of Brant St. and Lakeshore, more or less (actually on Lakeshore just west of Brant).

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Thanks all, excellent website. I realise now I have heard (for many years) of Paul Dickey. I look forward to sampling his brews, they look great.

Gary