Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Syracuse

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

Looks like the info that Clark's Ale House had a new location opening soon was incorrect (or at least premature):

http://blog.syracuse.com/cny/2012/03/th ... sible.html

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

F*(?@!

hops are your friend

I was down in Syracuse recently and noticed that a Gordon Biersch will be opening at the Carousel Mall. I didn't see when but a few stores are starting to open in the new expansion area, so it should be reasonably soon. That should provide a decent option if you're stuck at the mall and can't get to the Blue Tusk, etc.

Also, still no sign of Clark's Ale House. The rumoured location was still advertising popcorn when I drove by.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Hey guys,

I'm going to Buffalo and either Rochester or Syracuse in October. My question is, do I go to Rochester or Syracuse?

I've been to Rochester once, went to Tap & Mallet, The Old Toad, and Dinosaur BBQ. Had a good time at all the places, despite Old Toad being ridiculously busy.

It seems there aren't many hotels near the downtown core in Syracuse, but if the venues are worth going to I'm willing to overlook that.

I'd like to walk to places from the hotel, or have a reasonable cab fare. I'm leaning towards Rochester, but only because of familiarity.

Is Syracuse worth the extra hour+ drive? And if so, other than J. Ryan's and Blue Tusk, is there any other places to go?

The trip is mostly for beer bars, but we do want to bottle shop as well.

Cheers!

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Beers of the World in Rochester will blow out anything in Syracuse. I can't speak to the bars in Rochester, but I had a great time not long ago at both J Ryans and Blue Tusk, always reliable.

We stayed at a Hampton Inn maybe 5-10 minute walk from both. Was fine, although the walk was dicey enough going to the places that we ended up cabbing back. All good though.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

In a couple of weeks my wife and I are going to the Waterloo outlet mall (from Ottawa) and I have managed to negotiate one stop for beer in the Liverpool/Galeville area. Which would be better to stop at, the Byrne Dairy (Galeville Grocery) on Old Liverpool or the Taft Rd. Wegmans? Are there any other options in that area that doesn't take us too far from the I-81/toll road junction?

hops are your friend

As I mentioned in another thread, Clark's Ale House is supposed to be re-opening later this year:
http://blog.syracuse.com/cny/2013/08/cl ... ation.html

Hopefully it's true this time...

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Looks like there will be a new brewpub in Watertown. Might be a good lunch spot on the way to Syracuse.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/arti ... /701309906

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

that would work for me

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

anyone know if blue tusk offers beer flights?

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

This won't help a ton, but having visited a number of times I've never noticed a price list offering flights, nor have I ever seen someone drinking flights.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Need a dinner recommendation. With the wifey, looking for something better than TGI Fridays but not a 2 hour supper estravaganza.

We are staying in the Liverpool area but willing to drive.

Dinosaur is the second night so it's covered.

hops are your friend

cfrancis wrote:Need a dinner recommendation. With the wifey, looking for something better than TGI Fridays but not a 2 hour supper estravaganza.

We went to the Empire Brewpub last time we were down with our wives. The food and beer are reasonable, plus you're across the street from the Blue Tusk for after dinner drinks.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

cfrancis wrote: Need a dinner recommendation. With the wifey, looking for something better than TGI Fridays but not a 2 hour supper estravaganza.

My girlfriend and I really enjoyed Empire Brewing Company this past September. We both ordered the sweet fire fajitas featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, as well as a chocolate lava cake to split. Everything was delicious and well-priced. The beers are also very good, especially if you're into hop-forward stuff. Definitely worth a visit for dinner.
hops are your friend wrote:...plus you're across the street from the Blue Tusk for after dinner drinks.
EDIT: didn't see this before, but I agree the proximity to Tusk is yet another reason to hit Empire.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

try the coppertop tavern.. not fancy but highly regarded on tripadvisor etc and a decent beer menu. Kind of like a royal oak meets the keg inside. And close to liverpool. But ya, empire is a nicer place..

when are you going? I'll be there this weekend. We need to arrange a trade soon by the sounds of things :)

cfrancis wrote:Need a dinner recommendation. With the wifey, looking for something better than TGI Fridays but not a 2 hour supper estravaganza.