Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mississauga help

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

freesia

Post by freesia »

Hi all, I'm moving to Mississauga shortly, and was wondering if you could recommend any good pubs in the area, easily accessible by public transport. Also, wondering if anyone has tried the "Old Port Brewing Company" products. Stopped in at a pub in Port Credit the other day and had the Old Port Amber Ale. Wasn't too bad overall, this might be a promising brewery. Can't find any info on it on the web.
Any feedback would be appreciated!
Kim

Immotius

Post by Immotius »

If you find any, I know someone's lunch experience will be thrusted into the heavens from its current McDonald's and KrispyKreme hell-hole he is currently forced to endure.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

No offense, Immotius, but what the hell does that mean? :razz:

Cheers

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jcappadocia on 2002-04-02 20:10 ]</font>

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

I think what he means is that he'll switch from a lard- to a liquid lunch if a good pub is found.

Can't think of any good Mississauga pubs, myself. Most seem to be of the frickin' Firkin variety, where you can get the standard nitrogenated Boddingtons, Tetley's, and Guinness.

Some say that Mississauga is a cultural wasteland. How can they say that when we have a Home Depot and Tim Horton's on every corner. :lol:

I do remember that CC's Pub used to make their own beer, but it was wet air. Terrible stuff. I believe they're now closed. Coincidence?

Two that might be worth checking out are Failte Irish Pub (near Square One), and
Mad Dogs & Englishmen (if for nothing else than its great name).

screw2000

Post by screw2000 »

Everything near my office (far far northwest Mississauga) is of the generic-pub-in-a-stripmall variety.

Kind of depressing when you think about it!

It is possible to have a suburban neighbourhood brewpub, just look at Calgary for an example (the non-downtown Brewster's).

screw2000

Post by screw2000 »

Here is the only thing I could find on the brewpub in Port Credit, set the Wayback Machine for eye circa 1994

freesia

Post by freesia »

Thanks for the replies all...looks a bit bleak I guess. The two nearest pubs to my new digs will be The Clarkson Pump and The Harp, both on Lakeshore Rd.
The Harp was where I tasted the Old Credit Amber Ale the other day, otherwise it was pretty run of the mill offerings. I'm assuming the Pump will probably be similar. Guess I'll have to trip into C'est What, etc. for my good beer fix and rely on the LCBO (which isn't exactly close!).
When I win the lottery, I'll open up a decent brew place for Mississauga-ites!
Kim
--------------------
http://www.body-in-sync.com

Publican

Post by Publican »

Hi Kim, you are right the proper beer scene in Port Credit-Clarkson is pretty bleak. There is one pub that I can recommend, it is called the Brouge Inn which is located at the corner of Hurontario and Lakeshore. The only beer that is mildly intresting is the Hackar Pschor lager that I find similar to Denison's Helles. I sugest you frequent the local LCBO, they usualy have all new speciatly beer releases, although if you don't get there quick and they run out of the beer you want it seems to be hard to order a case. I tried to order a case of Brakspear Bitter and they couldn't recieve it because the warehouse didn't have any. I eventualy found some at Queens Quay LCBO and haulled 12 back to the Port. You will find that shopping at the Port Credit or Queen's Quay LCBO your place will soon be the best "pub" As I final thought, i consider the C'est What my local, verry verry sad!!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'm continually amazed that a city/suburb of 600,000 can have no bars that serve any decent beer. How bizarre. Oh well, perhaps someday you guys will get a Gordon Biersch :smile:

screw2000

Post by screw2000 »

IMHO, the only parts of Mississauga that could support an independent brewpub would be Port Credit or Streetsville (since they have that "community" feel).

As for the rest of 905, maybe a brewpub chain. You can start by replacing that Firkin pub across the street from my office. :smile:

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I enjoy the Harp. Their beer selection is pretty mainstream but I like the pub.

Old Credit is decent. Personally I prefer some of the offerings from Robinsons (on Cawthra Rd.) but I have not seen them on tap anywhere. Black Oak over in Oakville is excellent as well.

A "C'est What" style pub would do well in Port Credit I bet. If nothing else all of us saving the $8 GO train fare will have more money to spend on beer!

scott097

Post by scott097 »

As far as I can tell, there's really nothing in this city. Last time I checked in Streetsville (where I have lived all my 24 years) there was Creemore at the Winchester Arms, and nothing at Sundance, The Cock and Pheasant, or Mojo's. If you venture down to Port Credit, there's a little bar/restaurant called Van Gos that has Old Credit Amber on tap (might have been the one you were in, freesia).
Really and truly though, this city is completely void of a decent pint.

Welcome to the 'burbs!

Car pool to Toronto anyone?!

Cheers Scott

cman

Post by cman »

Mississauga is much the same as Brampton I believe (Brampton native). If you make it up this far north try Tracks brewpub (old downtown).The Old Mill Lager right now is excellent (they lighten it up a bit in the summer). As far as the Old Credit Brewery, Port Credit sometimes they make a Winter Ale around Christmas time for a limited run (it is good) otherwise their beer is pretty wimpy, some malt but no hop. Black Oak is apparently on tap at the Rosewood Bistro 1900 Dundas West.They also have Creemore.
see http://www.rosewoodbistro.ca/home.htm

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

I'm another Mississauga Native - I live in Clarkson and on a daily basis complain about the fact that there isn't a decent place to drink in Mississauga. That being said, we still do have a couple of decent pubs, in my opinion:

1) Failte Irish Pub
201 City Centre Dr
Mississauga, ON L5B2T4
Phone: (905) 276-2212

<i>Really georgeous pub, gets VERY busy on weekends, live entertainment, etc.</i>

2) Mad Hatter
4646 Heritage Hills Blvd
Mississauga, Ontario
L5R 1Y3
Tel: (905) 501-9049

<i>This is where I typically go to watch soccer matches - Champions League, etc - They have a decent UK Draft selection - Boddingtons, Tetley's, Kilkenny, Smithwicks, Guinness, etc...</i>

3) The Harp (Port Credit) - Back when I used to live in Port Credit, I'd be here quite often, nice little Irish pub, good staff, live music, good food, standard stuff on Draft (Kilkenny, etc)

---------------------

As far as breweries go - I personally think Old Credit is shite, but Robinson's have a few decent beers - it's located just off of Cawthra Rd. about a block North of the Queensway, they have a retail store open 7 days a week, they've always been friendly when I've popped in to visit.

Best of Luck!

Publican

Post by Publican »

Old Credit Amber Ale is Shite. Recently I meet the brewer and asked him if he was trying to brew a Rickard's Red clone and he said yes. This brewery should close, and a new one open so we can have a decent micro in south Mississauga. Unfortunately I wasn't drinking craft beer when Conners was brewing from this location.