Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

markaberrant wrote:
icemachine wrote:Headstock - Great beer, love the natural carbonation
Are you suggesting you could tell the difference between a force carb beer and a natural carb beer in a blind taste test?
Honestly I find "Natural Carbonation" beers generally have smaller CO2 bubbles, more akin to draft on beer gas rather than straight CO2. I know the science isn't clear on it, but that is definitely my perception.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

icemachine wrote:Honestly I find "Natural Carbonation" beers generally have smaller CO2 bubbles, more akin to draft on beer gas rather than straight CO2. I know the science isn't clear on it, but that is definitely my perception.
but what about MICROCARBONATION?!?!?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

icemachine wrote:
markaberrant wrote:
Are you suggesting you could tell the difference between a force carb beer and a natural carb beer in a blind taste test?
Honestly I find "Natural Carbonation" beers generally have smaller CO2 bubbles, more akin to draft on beer gas rather than straight CO2. I know the science isn't clear on it, but that is definitely my perception.
I've wondered this myself, but then anything that's unfiltered seems to have a nicer texture and just seems more 'alive'.

I think I can usually tell if something is filtered & then force-carbonated... Depending on the final gravity, it can seem more like fizzy water than 'real' ale.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

grub wrote:
icemachine wrote:Honestly I find "Natural Carbonation" beers generally have smaller CO2 bubbles, more akin to draft on beer gas rather than straight CO2. I know the science isn't clear on it, but that is definitely my perception.
but what about MICROCARBONATION?!?!?
Honestly never even tried 'M'
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Homebrewed Pecan Porter
FFF Rye'd Da Lightning
LTM Porter Baltique
Victory Saison du Buff

And a pancetta/leek risotto with an egg on top. Good night.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

markaberrant wrote:
It affects flavor, or people wouldn't bottle condition beers and wines either.

The fine mousse of a good sparkling wine or champagne changes how the drink interacts with your taste buds. Same with beer, and it also totally changes the feel. You can actually SEE lines of very fine, slow-rising bubbles in some of the best beers, they look different.

Anyway, question owned. I'm drinking Commodore Perry IPA, it's definitely an odd duck (but also a delicious aquatic avian) if you were expecting anything like Stone or Lagunitas!! It grows on me.
In Beerum Veritas

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

drinking another flat Boneshaker IPA...

I guess I got a bad 6-pack.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

kafercrazy wrote:drinking another flat Boneshaker IPA...

...umm, contact the brewery?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek wrote:I think I can usually tell if something is filtered & then force-carbonated... Depending on the final gravity, it can seem more like fizzy water than 'real' ale.
I would agree with you on that, I can often pick out beers that have been heavily filtered. Also, many bottled versions of beers have a higher carbonation than the draft version, giving them a sharp bite.

Frankly, I think the rest of you are full of it. CO2 is CO2. The whole "finer/smaller bubbles" thing is a bunch of nonsense, unless you believe in MICROCARBONATION. Creamy dense head comes from the dextrins and hop oils that should be in abundance in an unfiltered quality craft beer. Doesn't matter if it is natural or force carbed.

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

Unibroue Blanche de Chambly
Griffon Extra Pale Ale

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

markaberrant wrote:Frankly, I think the rest of you are full of it. CO2 is CO2. The whole "finer/smaller bubbles" thing is a bunch of nonsense, unless you believe in MICROCARBONATION.
Whatever it makes you happy to believe, we're happy to disagree. Although I still have my doubts about microcarbonation, triple hopping, and Extra Cold Tasting.
In Beerum Veritas

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

liamt07 wrote:
kafercrazy wrote:drinking another flat Boneshaker IPA...

...umm, contact the brewery?
exactly.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

markaberrant wrote: Frankly, I think the rest of you are full of it. CO2 is CO2. The whole "finer/smaller bubbles" thing is a bunch of nonsense, unless you believe in MICROCARBONATION. Creamy dense head comes from the dextrins and hop oils that should be in abundance in an unfiltered quality craft beer. Doesn't matter if it is natural or force carbed.
If there is any effect, I think it would be subtle compared to filtration.

I'd try the 'M' if I didn't have to buy a case.

I just noticed BC has Carling Black Label Extra Old Stock (previously O'keefes):
http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product/903393

I had no idea that still existed... too bad it's not available in a 40. 8)

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Belgian wrote:Whatever it makes you happy to believe, we're happy to disagree.
I am ok with agreeing to disagree, but I still do not see anyone on here willing to claim they could tell the difference between natural and force carbonation in a blind taste test.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek wrote: I just noticed BC has Carling Black Label Extra Old Stock (previously O'keefes):
I remember buying king cans of this in East Vancouver back in 1999-2000. Best bang for your buck at the corner liquor store, unless you were willing to buy smack from the dealers standing outside the store like street vendors.