Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Pliny the Younger and Beer Advocate

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MattB

Pliny the Younger and Beer Advocate

Post by MattB »

Here's an interesting article from Slate on Pliny the Younger and the "democracy" of Beer Advocate.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drin ... beer_.html

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I disagree with the conclusion. The top three on BA are all limited in quantity and access. Westy was on top because for the longest time it was considered hard to get and there's a premium put on that. I'd certainly suggest Pliny or CBS are harder to get your hands on than a Westy these days, something the author doesn't quite understand.

In the end you will probably get the same results with 1 expert or 1000 average joes. People like to show off by finding rare beers and usually they'll end up reviewing them pretty favourably to justify the extra expense or just to make other enthusiasts jealous. Democracy is overrated.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Yes, rare beers always score much higher on BA, as do higher ABV and EXTREME styles.

If you understand the bias on the site, the scoring system and reviews are still useful.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Didn't say they weren't, but when the author suggests beer-of-the-people Pliny replacing the elitist West 12 was due to the virtues of democratic reviews that's wrong. It's great to have access to a wealth of opinions, but in aggregate they're still susceptible to the same draw-backs that the "experts" have.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Bytowner wrote:Didn't say they weren't, but when the author suggests beer-of-the-people Pliny replacing the elitist West 12 was due to the virtues of democratic reviews that's wrong. It's great to have access to a wealth of opinions, but in aggregate they're still susceptible to the same draw-backs that the "experts" have.
I think the author was trying to tie in 2 related stories that really don't fit that well.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

The classic case of confusing a popularity contest with a qualitative judgment. Even so, it's still more fun to see what a whole lot of people decide is their favourite rather than a few 'experts', but it's still just opinion in the end.

I like to get opinions and input from other beer lovers as guideposts towards things I should try. However, what I like, I like and that's just me. The beauty of this whole 'craft beer revolution' is we have lots of choices, we don't have to suffer the choices of the heard. Enjoy and stop taking it so seriously!!!

Maybe I should seek out and try the "worst beer in the world". It could be a hidden gem... Nah, it's probably just some trendy sour that will make me sick. :lol:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.